Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Miniature Painting A wicked villain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Balgin
    • Succubus

Here we go. He’s far from finished. Basicaly anything that’s not the sword, the eyes and the skin is just blocked in base coating.

Villain1.jpg

Now the right hand is supposed to be holding some stupidly large oversized axe (see here). Now what I’ve done is to chop off that whole bottom bit where the bottom of the blade is so it doesn’t extend all the way down the handle. I also removed the stupid knuckleduster hand guard thing. The end result actualy looks quite good (although the axe head still looks too large, and a bit square). Whilst filing the bottom of the axe is actualy formed into a nice little ~ kind of double curve shape which I kind of liked and kept.

However the temptation to put a torch in that right hand is pretty strong. Also I would’ve loved to place the sword at the angle the other guy’s done it but the position of wrist and thumb on the hand inside the cloak makes it impossible for him to be holding it at that angle. It also allows me to brace it against the cloak since it’s paper thin (and I don’t then need to paint the second eye on the underside of the quillons).

Here’s a head closeup compilation thingy.

Villain2.jpg

For some reason the Hell Dorado sculptors really don’t like putting the backs on heads. This is the third or fourth one I’ve come across that looked really good and then I found out the back of the head was missing, lending it a slightly squashed look with the front being too large and the back being just flat instead of head shaped.

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

Great job Mr. Balgin!

On the triptych of heads, you’ve got some good detail on the camera. Do you have a macro lens, or just a macro setting on the camera?

Also, I noticed most of all of your photos are done outside. Do you paint outside as well, or do you have a daylight bulb or something else?

Balgin
    • Succubus
    MelkiorWhiteblade wrote:
    Great job Mr. Balgin!

On the triptych of heads, you’ve got some good detail on the camera. Do you have a macro lens, or just a macro setting on the camera?

Also, I noticed most of all of your photos are done outside. Do you paint outside as well, or do you have a daylight bulb or something else?

Erm, it says Canon Power Shot A590 IS on th box. I put it on flower mode and braced my elbows against my knees as I knelt to take the shots. What’s a macro? The instruction booklet that came with the camera didn’t even tell me what half the options do. Clearly it was written for professional photographers who know their stuff inside out or idiots who wouldn’t care either way.

It was a christmas present. I used to use a seriously inferior camera, but it was much easier to use.

I paint inside.

My bedroom, where I do my painting crouched on my bed, is very full of stuff and, more importantly, the only window is in the western wall. This means that when I try to take photo’s in my bedroom they’re invariably very dark with seriously monodirectional shadow so that half the mini’s almost black.

So I tend to take my photo’s outside these days.

Here’s a sample indoor shot from the old camera (a size comparisson shot actualy).

HaelaSize.jpg

Outdoors the one on the left looks like this:

Bowser-front.jpg

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

Thanks Balgin. Flower mode is Macro mode.

A macro lens is designed for up-close photography. Macro mode will focus on something much closer that without.

You would need a SLR camera with a detachable lens to take advantage of a macro lens. But then, you could use other lenses too, like telephoto which is for zooming in on things far away (but not as useful for miniatures).

RoYLanDz
    • Commoner

Great pics.

The skillful photographic hands make the picture looks great.

Keep it up man.

markcielo
    • Commoner

Really like the Hell Dorado sculptor,

Pretty nice photos shot,

A lost battle is a battle one thinks one has lost.

Jean-Paul Sartre throwing stars

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Miniature Painting’ is closed to new topics and replies.