Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon A True Classic Session of D+D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Personally I prefer 3.5 (I’ve played 1st, 2nd, 3.0, and 3.5). It fixed a good many issues in 3.0 and it allows more character flexibility than 1st and 2nd. Some of the rules are a bit complicated, but I guess our group is gradually getting so used to using them that we only have to look them up occasionally as a refresher when things get fuzzy.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I’ll never get used to non-computer oriented systems using appelations like v3.5 .

😀

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

I think one of the things that seems to be giving the group issues is the grappling rules and I’ll agree that those are one of the most complicated things available. And I honestly don’t think that that particular creature (you know the one I’m talking about if you’ve listened to it) should be using the grapple rules. The effects of its ability should have been detailed different because it really isn’t a grapple since you can’t break out of it.

riddles
    • Succubus

I think that the combat rules have actually more gone back to their roots, as 3.5 now seems to work quite well as a set of skirmish rules.

It has “issues” however, mainly I think BECAUSE it’s now a set of skirmish rules! 🙂

Grapple is a pain, partially as you need to add lots of modifiers.

What provokes/doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity (and when it’s a different action for those with Combat Reflexes) is a BIG topic for our group.

In fact, most of the extended combat rules are annoying now I come to think of it (trip & charge can definately be fun).

I keep meaning to write a crib sheet for it all, but apathy/work seem to get in the way…

Wellard
    • Orc

Well I still have a soft spot for 2nd as well. My best campaign ever was a full blown Players Option version of Night Below which then went on to Queen of Spiders and ended in a wonderfully roleplayed confrontation with Lolth which resulted in the party escaping unscathed while Lolth went totally insane.Add in the side plots regarding both the main characters families, the fall of a mighty empire, the establishment of a Lawful Evil monotheistic cult by a third character (who by that time was being played as an NPC) who had started as a lawful good Crusader Cleric and fell due to the players actions(and yes Balazzar he did get plenty of dream warnings), the flight from the game world of elves,dwarves and halflings and the final removal of magic from the entire world(one of my own creation complete with a 40000 year history) and its no wonder it took us 3 years of weekly 5 hour sessions.

Were the two main characters monsters well yes but in the end I was more concerned with telling an epic story than calculating XP(always a chore in 2nd)

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Wellard wrote:
    Well I still have a soft spot for 2nd as well. My best campaign ever was

Sounds like a great game Wellard.

Just ditch the xp tables, give them what you think they deserve, give them a new sheet when they level up, and there ya go!

I give out more xp for roleplaying than killing things anyway so the system had to be reworked. Much easier this way too. Luckily the players aren’t the adolescent kind that always complain about xp, they’d rather roleplay than number crunch.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

My glory days of D&D were definately 2nd Edition. I miss it. I do. I started playing again recently with my son and a good friend. We had one great game, and then my son found, ‘Starcraft’. So my friend is bringing his laptop over plugging it into my LAN and we have some wild 3 player games. I am hoping to get back to D&D at some point. He’ll get burnt on starcraft in a few months.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen
    riddles wrote:
    *snip*

Grapple is a pain, partially as you need to add lots of modifiers.

Yeah, but you know a lot of those modifiers up front so you can already have most of them calculated.

Quote:

What provokes/doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity (and when it’s a different action for those with Combat Reflexes) is a BIG topic for our group.

For that, I highly reccomend one of the official GM’s screen. They usually have a big table of potential actions that list what type they are (Standard, Move, Full Round) and whether or not they provoke an attack of opportunity. Maybe I’ll do an audio review of the Eberron Deluxe GM’s Screen that I just picked up recently. I find it quite useful.

riddles
    • Succubus
    WerewolfPaladin wrote:
    riddles wrote:
    *snip*

Quote:

For that, I highly reccomend one of the official GM’s screen. They usually have a big table of potential actions that list what type they are (Standard, Move, Full Round) and whether or not they provoke an attack of opportunity. Maybe I’ll do an audio review of the Eberron Deluxe GM’s Screen that I just picked up recently. I find it quite useful.

Um, is it? I use the standard GM screen (red, A4 landscape thing), but it’s so covered with post-it notes, that I can’t actually read what’s on the screen… 😳

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    ENoa4 wrote:
    My glory days of D&D were definately 2nd Edition. I miss it. I do. I started playing again recently with my son and a good friend. We had one great game, and then my son found, ‘Starcraft’. So my friend is bringing his laptop over plugging it into my LAN and we have some wild 3 player games. I am hoping to get back to D&D at some point. He’ll get burnt on starcraft in a few months.

Yeah, unless he finds the expansion pack!

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

We’re already well into that. I won’t let him play the campaigns due to content that might be questionable for a guy his age, but we’re playing lots of multiplayer campaigns I wrote. I’m having a blast.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen
    riddles wrote:

Um, is it? I use the standard GM screen (red, A4 landscape thing), but it’s so covered with post-it notes, that I can’t actually read what’s on the screen… 😳

I’m not familiar with that one, but I know the one that was released with Dragon magazine back a year or so ago has it and the Delux Eberron GM’s screen that just came out has it.

Wellard
    • Orc

I use the Kingdoms of Kalamar screen which has 3 times as many panels(granted many Kalamar specific) for the same price as the standard WoTC one

riddles
    • Succubus

OK, finally cleaned the post-its off the screen, and there were all the maneuvers with how long they take, & if they cause an attack of opportunity… 😳

My only gripe is that there are alot of them, written small & over 2 columns.

And so, of course I didn’t need them this week as the only fight the players got into was 1 with a black pudding that was massacred by the sorcerer with scorching ray. 😕

Ah well, maybe they’ll get to the dragon soon… 😈

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Hal wrote:
    It is Classic D+D through and through with some of the most traditional beasties you will ever see.

It’s always neat to see or bring out the old classic monsters, which is why I’m having such a good time running some of the 1E modules. A roper? A gibbering mouther? Anyone? Bueller?

Gelatinous cube? Classic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.