May 9, 2014 at 6:41 pm #560064
Spotted an article about the 10 Best Marvel Comics storylines and thought it might spark some chat over here.
Not sure how many of you read comics. I like them a lot but I generally like the darker DC stuff 🙂
Hal :hal:May 9, 2014 at 9:03 pm #645220
Secret Wars? I certainly wouldn’t have put that on the list.
It’s funny, when I was reading comics regularly DC meant crazy stuff with wafer-thin plots and wall-to-wall goofiness, whereas Marvel was seen as much more mature, dealing with relationships and “real world” problems inside the supers framework. Somewhere along the way it all turned around. Still a huge Plastic Man fan, though 😉May 10, 2014 at 11:26 am #645221Twyst
- Posts : 86
I got as far as Secret Wars and had to stop. 5 popup ads per article is over my normal limit.May 10, 2014 at 1:39 pm #645222Dr_Jomster
- Posts : 193
I was a bit surprised by Secret Wars as well. George Perez of course also did the rather lovely cover for Champions 4e… 🙂
Now Claremont X-Men on the other hand, wasn’t such a surprise. That period of X-Men is my longest run on Marvel and was great stuff. Particularly as it was before the mass proliferation of related titles and huge cross over events!
As for Mark Millar. Don’t get me started on that topic…. If you’re familiar with his “contribution” to 2000AD, you’ll know what I’m talking about… :/May 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm #645223
I got as far as Secret Wars and had to stop. 5 popup ads per article is over my normal limit.
Ad blockers have improved my online experience immeasurably.May 10, 2014 at 5:12 pm #645224
For those who don’t use Google Chrome and are having ad issues 🙂
6. Secret Wars
4. Civil War
And look – useful Amazon links for those who are feeling nostalgic 🙂
Hal :hal:May 12, 2014 at 5:08 pm #645225
And at the other end of the spectrum, here’s 5 Insane Marvel Comics Storylines That Would Make Terrible Movies. 🙂
5. Captain America Wolfs Out
4. The Punisher Becomes An African-American
3. Iron Man’s Suit Comes Alive, Falls In Love With Tony Stark
2. Spider-Man Kills Mary Jane With Radioactive Sperm
1. She-Thing Ruins Everything ForeverMay 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm #645226
Thankfully those are alternate reality storylines 🙂
Hal :hal:May 12, 2014 at 5:25 pm #645227
But did you know that Eminem is a Marvel character? :O
4: Due to strange laws in USA, importing toys resembling humans are taxed higher than those that dont. Marvel successfully argued in court that because their X-men action figures are mutants and therefore should be exempt from such higher tax.
9. In 2002, a 4-year-old boy suffering from hearing loss didnâ€™t want to wear a hearing aid because Super heroes donâ€™t. To get him to wear his hearing aids, Marvel Comics created a super hero with a hearing aid called Blue Ear.
10. Marvel has a superhero named Throg. He is a frog that has the power of Thor and is in a superhero group called the Pet Avengers.
13. In the 1970â€²s, Planned Parenthood teamed up with Marvel Comics to release the strangest Spiderman comic that discouraged teens from having unprotected sex.
21. Eminem is a character in the Marvel universe.
26. In 2003, Marvel Comics announced it was planning to publish a five-part series entitled Di Another Day featuring a resurrected Diana The Princess of Wales, as a mutant with superpowers.May 12, 2014 at 6:24 pm #645228
Pffft – thats blocked from here…
For those intersted in Princess Diana – how about the Diana: Warrior Princess RPG?
Hal :hal:May 12, 2014 at 8:47 pm #645229
That’s a classic game. Really ought to get the crew together and record a session.March 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm #645230March 18, 2015 at 7:29 pm #645231March 24, 2015 at 9:30 am #645232March 26, 2015 at 4:42 pm #645233riddles
- Posts : 2288
No Excalibur? I think that was the last series I collected.
Possibly 25 years ago though now …
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.