#1 RPGMP3 Newsbot

RPGMP3 Newsbot

Full Of Awesome

• Inner Circle
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:44 PM

The Art of Lovecraft Letter

“E pericoloso sporgersi”

Last year, my colleague Jade Yoo from Board M (who publishes Love Letter in South Korea) brought back a copy of Lovecraft Letter from Japan and showed it to me. A new variation on the game, still by Seiji Kanai, with more cards, a strong theme well displayed in the card effects and a new Sane/Insane mechanic adding push your luck elements to the game and making choices a little more risky for players.

Alderac Entertainment Group (AEG) has the International rights to Love Letter and, after an initial contact, and due to common passions and interests, I ended up accepting to illustrate and graphic design Lovecraft Letter for its English edition, that I would qualify as “Deluxe”.

I have to say that creating artwork for Lovecraft Letter was a very interesting challenge.

First of all, it is quite the opportunity and honor to be able to work on Seiji Kani’s Love Letter, a micro game which due to its accessibility, originality and re-playability has reached a very large audience of gamers, be they family, expert or casual and has already had various licenses attached to it.

As a huge fan of the original fantastic fiction literary genre (my pillow book is The House on the Borderland from William Hope Hodgson– a novel that Lovecraft himself called a masterpiece!), it was sort of a “at long last” sigh of relief to me to be able to be the sole artist on a game that would involve the creatures and the odd world borne of H.P.L’s imagination. I had worked 10 years ago as an artist for Fantasy Flight Games on their “Call of Cthulhu” CCG but unfortunately not enough to let my imagination loose.

When you undertake a task of such magnitude, you have to slow the process down, find the right tone, hit the mark before you can grab your pencils and brushes; something that isn’t easy to do when you consider that you have to merge two very important pieces in Lovecraft and Love Letter. For some time now, akin to when Lord of the Rings released on the big screen, the fantastic genre (and especially horror) and everything that revolves around Cthulhu has become more and more mainstream across the board (in cinema, games, literature…) which invites further caution to make sure you stay true to the source material.

I have always approached my work in a very direct fashion. For this, I thought to myself that Love Letter is now a reference in gaming, a classic. Cthulhu and his cast of friends are a classic in the “monsters, horrors and fantastic creatures” genre. As for myself, my training is classic as well. By that I mean that the traditional technique that I use (pencils, brushes on paper, by hand) gives my artwork a very unique non-dated feel that tries to give life to the illustration itself over time.

So, without trying to reinvent the wheel, we elected to stick as close as possible to the source material. Alongside Nicolas Bongiu (who lead the project for AEG), we have researched descriptions and texts in the Cthulhu mythos to showcase in the most accessible manner his very particular universe, and therefore present it to the Love Letter audience of gamers and mythos aficionados alike. Of course, we didn’t shy away from giving our own take on the source material when we felt it was needed, which is often the case when you’re tying a theme to a game.

So, without trying to reinvent the wheel, we elected to stick as close as possible to the source material. Alongside Nicolas Bongiu (who lead the project for AEG), we have researched descriptions and texts in the Cthulhu mythos to showcase in the most accessible manner his very particular universe, and therefore present it to the Love Letter audience of gamers and mythos aficionados alike. Of course, we didn’t shy away from giving our own take on the source material when we felt it was needed, which is often the case when you’re tying a theme to a game.

Those artistic ideas taking form, AEG decided to bring the game to the size of previously released Love Letter Premium: large box with magnetic closure, tarot-sized cards, custom envelope-looking sleeves and double-sided poker chips for the victory points. This contributed in my opinion to a classy and supercharged edition, of which I’m personally elated.

Those artistic ideas taking form, AEG decided to bring the game to the size of previously released Love Letter Premium: large box with magnetic closure, tarot-sized cards, custom envelope-looking sleeves and double-sided poker chips for the victory points. This contributed in my opinion to a classy and supercharged edition, of which I’m personally elated.

Lovecraft Letter is my first collaboration with AEG and the result and process by which the game was made fully satisfied me (something tells me that you can expect more collaborations in the future!). it is not every day that you can delve into themes and formats that you love, with – as if it wasn’t enough – a good deal of control over the end result.

I hope that you enjoyed this sneak peek inside the process of making Lovecraft Letter … one that comes with a word of caution from Lovecraft himself:

“There are horrors beyond life’s edge that we do not suspect, and once in a while man’s evil prying calls them just within our range.” – H.P. Lovecraft, The Thing on the Doorstep

Vincent Dutrait

http://www.vincentdutrait.com
https://www.facebook...Vincent.Dutrait
Lovecraft Letter a mind-shattering journey into the world of HP Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos warped into the shape of a Love Letter experience will be on sale 19 July 2017!

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge