#1 Reverse

Reverse

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

Brains, brains, give me your brains...

So, after years of listening through a ton of free entertainment in the form of APs from RPGMP3 and other such sites...

I now have a decent quality recorder at last, the capacity to edit bits and pieces with Audacity, and a general desire to upload some APs.

I seek the general wisdom of the site:

1. Uploading here - you are presumably looking for more content to add? Is the method of doing so to PM Hal for more super-secret details?
  2. In terms of file sizes vs quality, what do people recommend in kbps for recording purposes (or what to put them up on the site as)? How much should I be concerned with file size?
  3. I have one campaign starting fortuitously at the right time to have begun taping for the very first session, however others are mid-way through. I have a Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign (CoC) that is around halfway though already, and a Kingmaker (Pathfinder) campaign mid-way through Book 2. Obviously I'd need to record a "first" episode giving an introduction and a synopsis of what's bought it to this point. How interested are people in campaigns that don't get in on the ground floor? Is it worth the effort of editing and uploading them?
  4. In one game, we have a toddler and a baby up for the first hour or so of game. It's not generally too disruptive (minus the odd loud shout of "I'm rolling Mummy's dice!". Is this likely to put people off?

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,235 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:03 AM

1. Yep, pretty much contacting Hal is the way to go

2. Providing the mic picks up decently, I think 64-96 is usually fine, there isn't much significant improvement for spoken word going much higher unless you got a really expensive mic. Generally files sizes should be smaller than 200 mb (the current uploaded doesn't accept higher size files) and those should be for quite long sessions of 4+ hours really.

3. I think a lot of this will depend on the quality of Session 1 establishing a backstory and the players introducing themselves and their characters well before starting into the current game session. It could work. Or it could be too tricky to jump into.

4. Some Yorkton games have invoked children being in the background and I don't think there has been any major complaints. I don't think it'd put people off.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

Hello :)

Drop me a PM or an email and we can get you set up as a contributor :D

With campaigns that are in progress you could read through an intro - we do it when we lost sessions - just an overview of what has gone before to give people an idea and that might be sufficient :) Opinions? :)

Hal :hal:

#4 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

2. I digitized most of the Gaming Grunts audio at 64 kpbs stereo, except for Masks which I had to do at 80 kbps stereo in order for the intro piece (done in Garage Band) to not sound awful.  Bit of the tail wagging the dog there.  The most important thing, IMHO, is recording with a good microphone and processing out the ambient noise (two most important things!).

4. I  got the occasional complaint about barking dogs and a lot about crinkling food wrappers (we gamed at work during lunch).  As long as the noise level is consistent with the other levels, it's not likely to be an issue.

Lost sessions are fine, jumping in full media res might be too much. An introductory episode might help, maybe even have your players do a group recap ("hey, remember how this all started?").  That might be fun.

#5 Reverse

Reverse

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, team. I'll continue to put a few more episodes in the bag so I'm starting with something other than just a single, then I'll contact Hal to see about getting them uploaded.

As to the in media res campaigns, I think an opening, broad-strokes intro should sell it nicely. (The Gamer's Haven podcast Deadlands campaign begins with an intro episode that covers what appears to be the previous entire campaign to set up this one, which is odd, but does actually work).

While people need to know the general overview, whether the PCs had a random encounter with goblins or not in session 3 seems less relevant.

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:07 AM

2. Providing the mic picks up decently, I think 64-96 is usually fine, there isn't much significant improvement for spoken word going much higher unless you got a really expensive mic. Generally files sizes should be smaller than 200 mb (the current uploaded doesn't accept higher size files) and those should be for quite long sessions of 4+ hours really.

If your gaming sessions are that long, it might be a good idea to chop the recordings into smaller portions before releasing them to the public; a lot of podcast listeners (myself included) have previously expressed a preference for shorter episodes. Plenty of times, it's nice to have a manageable length of audio to listen to, without having to remember how far you got in the podcast for the next time you get a spare hour to do some listening. Of course, lots of people use podcasts as background audio while they're working their 8 hour day job, or they want to experience a long gaming session, so they clear out a large chunk of time to listen to a large amount of podcast - but in this case, it's easy enough to just listen to a bunch of episodes back-to-back. Besides, publishing shorter episodes would also be beneficial in terms of maintaining a regular release schedule, which helps keep your listeners interested.

Bit of the tail wagging the dog there.

You mean, you hired Dustin Hoffman to promote your podcast? ;)

The most important thing, IMHO, is recording with a good microphone and processing out the ambient noise (two most important things!).

5b11455414636705f9ea09b316c96bef.jpg

...And an almost fanatical devotion to @Hal!

Our four... No, amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry... are such elements as a good microphone, processing out the ambient noise... I'll come in again.

#7 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

If your gaming sessions are that long, it might be a good idea to chop the recordings into smaller portions before releasing them to the public; a lot of podcast listeners (myself included) have previously expressed a preference for shorter episodes.

+1 to this, although I do have a slight nostalgia for those 4-hour World's Largest Dungeon sessions.

#8 Reverse

Reverse

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

If your gaming sessions are that long, it might be a good idea to chop the recordings into smaller portions before releasing them to the public...

Shorter ones clock in at 2.5 hours, longer ones approaching 5. For myself, I like full standard length of around Lockhart's usual of 3-ish hours sessions for downloading and organizing on my computer. I find that having a single file for each session helps the narrative flow of feeling like you're at the gaming table.

But that said, I then use a program called MP3DirectCut to chop them up into half-hour slices to load onto the MP3 player, since I often lose track of where I'm up to (it's background noise and listening while I go to sleep), and that's much more convenient to track it down this way rather than find the right chunk I was up to.

#9 Reverse

Reverse

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Thanks guys, looking back on this the advice has been helpful. 40+ episodes in the can already :)

(Fun to listen to as a GM, too. Good for remembering what it is that I've said at various points!)

#10 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:48 AM

Glad to hear its going well

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Thanks guys, looking back on this the advice has been helpful. 40+ episodes in the can already :)

Huzzah! Are you planning on uploading it here on the site, or somewhere else? (Or just keep the audio goodness to yourself?) :)

#12 Reverse

Reverse

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

Here, hopefully!

I've got voiceover intros already done at the start of the files referencing RPGMP3.com (like Lockhart's ones), and no burning desire to redo them all to put them elsewhere.

Just waiting (im)patiently on the site to start up again and harassing Hal periodically :)

(We even have the requisite RPGMP3 Lost Episode in my pile!)

#13 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Ah a lost episode. I like the Gilleran tale of what happened in an episode of Warlords of the Accordlands that was cut short. It was most amusing to hear it from his unique viewpoint.

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

Here, hopefully!

I've got voiceover intros already done at the start of the files referencing RPGMP3.com (like Lockhart's ones), and no burning desire to redo them all to put them elsewhere.

W00t! Sounds promising. :) Since @The QuestionableDM also seems to be planning on sharing some audio here on the site, that's two new groups getting added to the roster:

BTW @Reverse, have you picked an official name for your gaming group, yet?

Ah a lost episode. I like the Gilleran tale of what happened in an episode of Warlords of the Accordlands that was cut short. It was most amusing to hear it from his unique viewpoint.

Yeah, good stuff. :) If anyone's interested (and not worried about SPOILERS), you can read the epic tale in this thread - oh, and there's another thread that has a convenient list of Landmark Episodes of Warlords & Accordions.

#15 Reverse

Reverse

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

Owing to our propensity for baking, bringing biscuits, Coke, candy, caffeine, and the general health level of the table, our group(s) are the Sugar Fuelled Gamers.

At the moment, the MP3 files are just temporarily hosted in a Google Drive for the benefit of the gaming group itself.

If people are interested and low on podcasts, I can make what's complete available as shared links for public download?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge