#41 MattSheridan

MattSheridan

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, US

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

Hal likes faff and arse!

Hence, he like Rolemaster...takes 10 mins to find out if youve hit or not, and a further 15 to figure out where you have hit...

I've always thought Rolemaster's insane combat tables sounded like a great thing to base some kind of computer RPG on. As long as machine is doing all the die-rolling and table-consulting for the players, I figure you can get away with all the insane detail you want. But in an actual table-top game, it just sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

Oh, and thanks for introducing me to a new Britishism. I have definitely not heard of "faff" before.

#42 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

Oh the words i could teach you, young padawan...todays word shall be

*guff*

#43 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

My wife has just looked over my shoulder, ran out of the room and has come back clutching the Oxford English Dictionary. Apparently it's in there. She seems quite excited about it... :P

#44 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

So is guff, too. Apparently it means nonsense or empty talk.

I should point out my wife is on her 3rd glass of wine (which apparently is also in the dictionary)...

#45 MattSheridan

MattSheridan

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, US

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

*guff*

Hey, Americans use that one. Unless maybe you've got a different meaning for it. For us, it basically means "bullshit", and is almost exclusively used in the context of "Don't give me any guff."

#46 Dragonkin

Dragonkin

Resident Swedish Dragon

• Patrons
  • 485 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

I remember hearing it mostly in the context of "this is completely guff" about something not really liked, game mechanics-wise.
Not quite as memorable as "He faffs like a champ", but I learned a lot of Britishisms during my time in Scotland =)

#47 sad_genius

sad_genius

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:39 AM

FAFF

AND

ARSE!!

I'm with Lindsay on this one.

OMG what have I done?

#48 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:06 AM

"He faffs like a champ"

Somehow, I don't think that means what I think it means...

#49 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

I've always thought Rolemaster's insane combat tables sounded like a great thing to base some kind of computer RPG on. As long as machine is doing all the die-rolling and table-consulting for the players, I figure you can get away with all the insane detail you want. But in an actual table-top game, it just sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

Oh, and thanks for introducing me to a new Britishism. I have definitely not heard of "faff" before.

Actually, the online game Gemstone III is based on the Rolemaster system. :)

In tabletop it's not too bad as long as the players manage the table relavent to their weapons and really important skills. That eliminates a good bit of the overhead inherent in the tables.

#50 Ffaern

Ffaern

Goblin

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationThe Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

I really like the old classic Traveller, but that is more of a reflection on the campaigns I ran in back in the day then the actuall rules system itself.

The beautifully concise Planet and Player profiles in hexadecimal were a triumph of brevity and functionality. I have a very soft spot in my heart for classic Traveller, despite its faults (i.e. trying to get a character to even survive the training backstory).

Ffaern

#51 Ffaern

Ffaern

Goblin

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

Ask and thou shalt receive

The Grand Campaign for Rolemaster

Hal :hal:

Just too busy with Ptolus now, which is just totally amazing. (Hijack thread warning - arrooga arrooga!) I have seen a lot of RPG stuff but this one just trumps the lot. It's got to be the easiest to use campaign ever published. The cross-referencing alone is fantastic and that's before even taking into account Monte's warped imagination. For me this is the best thing since AD&D 2nd Edition Planescape broke the mould.

My 2nd edition group will be playing 3rd next year to play in Ptolus. It is that good!

Ffaern

#52 Ffaern

Ffaern

Goblin

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:57 PM

It is a very thin book as they have pulled out all the setting and it is being released seperately.

Hal :hal:

Which is crap as far as I'm concerned. Glorantha, even with the bloody Ducks, is it!

Ffaern

#53 Ffaern

Ffaern

Goblin

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

*guff*

Hey, Americans use that one. Unless maybe you've got a different meaning for it. For us, it basically means "bullshit", and is almost exclusively used in the context of "Don't give me any guff."

When I was at school it was polite usage for "fart".

Ffaern

#54 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:56 AM

When i was young (said in an old persons voice, of course) we said "pop" to mean fart... :oops:

#55 N-kun

N-kun

Stirge

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBradford UK

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:33 AM

we used trump rather unoriginally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge