#1 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:14 AM

There's a petition on change.org for WotC to get D&D 4th ed the same open game licence that 3.5 and 5th edition enjoy. Please have a look and sign it. This is not so much about personal preferences with editions but about allowing third party publishers access to create new material to support the game.

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

A very good cause. For all the misteps of 4th, it still deserves the openness that has given 3rd edition such longevity and the option for it to be re-designed in a better way.

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

... and the option for it to be re-designed in a better way.

A good point, think of the opportunities for applying 4th ed to different settings.  It might be that it's better suited to a totally different genre - 4th ed/Glorantha anyone? ;)

Thanks for your vote @Lockhart

#4 JamieMcCrimmon

JamieMcCrimmon

Raven

• Patrons
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

Well, I've signed it - mainly in the hope that anyone who released content under the more restrictive licence and lost the ability to use the OGL as a result might be freed from those restrictions. I don't really know enough about 4e to know what it might be a suitable system for, though.

#5 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

I don't really know enough about 4e to know what it might be a suitable system for, though.

I think it would be interesting to find out...

Thanks

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

I don't really know enough about 4e to know what it might be a suitable system for, though.

D&D 4E has often been accused by its detractors of having too many card game elements, and (as Hal has put it) every PC is basically a wizard, with super impressive magic powers that recharge at different rates.

On the other hand, several people have tried to cobble together a Magic: The Gathering RPG over the years, with varying degrees of success. For those who may be unfamiliar with the game, M:tG is a collectible card game, where everyone plays... yes, you guessed it: a wizard.

Perhaps you could combine two problems to create one solution, here? :)

#7 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

Give the monkey a banana :)

#8 JamieMcCrimmon

JamieMcCrimmon

Raven

• Patrons
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:39 AM

Pencil-Monkey, have a banana.

On a more serious note, it's been a few days now. I thought by now someone else would have expressed an opinion on the idea of 4e as a suitable system for MtG tabletop in this thread.

#9 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:02 AM

You're right @JamieMcCrimmon. Would it work?  I have not played MtG for some long time...

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:28 AM

Turns out that there's an old thread on RPG.net about a potential mash-up of D&D 4E and M:tG, which also includes some snide remarks about dear old Warlords of the Accordlands Accordions, as well as this interesting bit of information:

Actually, very shortly before WOTC bought TSR, I was a playtester for Wizard's MTG:RPG. While it had several very cool ideas, it was unplayable as written due to some severe balance problems.

My group wondered why our ideas for improvement were politely ignored..until we found out that WOTC bought TSR, thus dropping the idea.

#11 JamieMcCrimmon

JamieMcCrimmon

Raven

• Patrons
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

On the other hand, several people have tried to cobble together a Magic: The Gathering RPG over the years, with varying degrees of success. For those who may be unfamiliar with the game, M:tG is a collectible card game, where everyone plays... yes, you guessed it: a wizard.

And, in news from Fifth Edition...

http://magic.wizards...ikar-2016-04-27

http://www.tribality...ting-for-dd-5e/

Another podcast even has some discussion about it (which I haven't listened to yet)

http://www.thetomesh...gons-of-faerun/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge