• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 mk

mk

Goblin

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

It has to be said that it is rather a change of gear plot wise compared to the WLD. To be honest it was always going to be an issue. What could be simpler that "You are stuck in a Dungeon - off you go, find the exit!?"

I think the player confusion at the plot is also coming out as well. The plot is dripped to them as the adventure progresses. There is no way to give it to them all at once although I am in the process of restructuring the game so that the party does not explode due to law and chaos issues :D

Hal :hal:

What I've enjoyed while listening to these podcasts has not been so much the plot of the scenarios themselves, but the people playing them. The back and forth banter, mixed with a bit of day to day life and tossed into a roleplaying encounter makes for some great listening.

That said, I've been in several different groups over the years and have seen a number of adventures become complete disasters because they were run independent of the party playing them -- that is, there was no motivation for the characters to proceed. My experience has been that games run right out of the box with no tweaking whatsoever only works when the group as a whole is disinterested or has never played together before.

Your group's very tight knit. It's plain to hear over the podcast. It's also interesting to listen to them adapt their character concepts to the game rather than the other way around. Not many groups can do that well.

#22 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

I haven't had any trouble with the plot, but I am pretty up on Ptolous and the Bane Warrens.

I wonder if Monte would be up for posting up some basic new player style introduction to Ptolous etc info, basic pantheon, Imperial structure, businesses, factions, etc.

That or perhaps an audio intruduction to Ptolous.

#23 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

I have not had a problem with the plot either but I also ot the Bane warrens book so that help alot.

#24 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:07 AM

Half way through listening to this, is very good. I wouldn't worry too much about the plot as its early days.

I just had to post and say I have fond memories of both...

Jamie and the Magic Torch

and Captain Caveman

but the best is of course is...

Chorlton and the Wheelies

so I'm siding with Hal regarding the high quality of these children's programmes that were mentioned in installment four.

#25 Abstraction

Abstraction

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

I must say that I quite enjoyed the small fortyish man delivering the message!

Can we get an update on the characters leveling? Is Lindsay going for a prestige class?

My biggest difficulty in this podcast over the WLD is that I think I am having trouble telling the players apart. Also, I miss Paul's roleplaying, even if he did bitch a lot about 3E. Why no Paul for Banewarrens? Who are the players, anyways?

Patrons can get downloads sooner? How can I contribute and get this shiny bonus? I have to be able to contribute (from America) in such a way that it doesn't show up on our credit card or bank, which my wife eyes like a hawk. How much (American)? Email me bill (at) colorquestdurango.com

#26 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:40 PM

Hi there and welcome.

Firstly, yes, some of the Banewarrens players do sound quite similar. I will have to get them to put on some funny voices :D

Paul was offered a place in the Banewarrens and declined as he wanted to concentrate on his own recordings so it is unlikely we will be hearing him on RPGMP3 any time in the future.

In order to become a Patron you will need a Paypal account and then you can fill in the little box on the left hand side entitled 'Regular Donations'. You can pick a little subtitle to go under your name in the forums and you get a 'Patron' icon as well as access to the Patron's only forums where audios are posted in raw uneditied format before they reach the main site. Patrons contribute $5 / month to the site and for this we are greatly appreciative.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate.

Also be aware that I have to process the application by hand so it may take a day to go through if I am slow and we live on opposite sides of the world :D

Thanks for the interest

#27 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

I must say that I quite enjoyed the small fortyish man delivering the message!

Can we get an update on the characters leveling? Is Lindsay going for a prestige class?

My biggest difficulty in this podcast over the WLD is that I think I am having trouble telling the players apart. Also, I miss Paul's roleplaying, even if he did bitch a lot about 3E. Why no Paul for Banewarrens? Who are the players, anyways?

Patrons can get downloads sooner? How can I contribute and get this shiny bonus? I have to be able to contribute (from America) in such a way that it doesn't show up on our credit card or bank, which my wife eyes like a hawk. How much (American)? Email me bill (at) colorquestdurango.com

First of all you may have marital problems if 5 bucks a month is a problem.
Second there was a request a while ago for up dated player profiles and I am sure that Hal is hard at work on that. :D

#28 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

I'm on with the profiles ;)

I will get them updated :D

Did we not start a forum thread trying to get a nice list of questions for the players? If not then someone should ;)

#29 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

I'm on with the profiles ;)

I will get them updated :D

Did we not start a forum thread trying to get a nice list of questions for the players? If not then someone should ;)

Done here:
http://www.rpgmp3.co...c&p=15179#15179

#30 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:49 PM

Heres a brief idea of players from a previous post

Wow....way too much thinking...i think everyone sounds very different to each other, but that may just be me.

Although others have reiterated the character list, i feel it is my duty, nay, my privaledge to announce us...

I play Morwen... http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... e&artid=25

Steve (Bastion et all) plays both http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... e&artid=24 and very well too..

Fin plays http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... e&artid=27

Other Steve, aka Dulson plays...http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... e&artid=26

Richard plays http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... e&artid=28

Pics are here... http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... page&pid=9

#31 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

Firstly, yes, some of the Banewarrens players do sound quite similar. I will have to get them to put on some funny voices :D

Fin and Lindsay have that covered, then...

*runs like hell*

#32 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:24 PM

Been following the Wheel of Time series for a good decade now, despite the story's gradual expansion. I am uncultured and near-illiterate, feel free to sue. At any rate, the man swears his next book is the last for WoT with the exception of perhaps still another prologue, which will come later. Even if the publishers need to invent some new binding system to deal with the sheer bulk of it, he says. Naturally, this assumes he survives his unpleasant heart trouble long enough to write it.

Enjoying the audios and freeloading as always. :wink:

#33 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:34 AM

Been following the Wheel of Time series for a good decade now, despite the story's gradual expansion. I am uncultured and near-illiterate, feel free to sue. At any rate, the man swears his next book is the last for WoT with the exception of perhaps still another prologue, which will come later. Even if the publishers need to invent some new binding system to deal with the sheer bulk of it, he says. Naturally, this assumes he survives his unpleasant heart trouble long enough to write it.

Enjoying the audios and freeloading as always. :wink:

I used to dislike fantasy books. Then, YEARS ago, my mother gave me the first 8 chapters of the first book (some promo thing where they were a little mini book). I loved it, and started reading them with a passion...

Until lke book 6 or 7... Where I skipped like 20 pages, and missed NOTHING... Still the same people, having the same converstion, having actually not said anything of worth.

I heard "Jordan is dying" around book 3... When it was going to be an 8 book series. I was crushed.

Now, I had to turn down a chance to interview the man at a DragonCon a year or two ago...

I was unable to promise that I wouldn't bitch-slap the fat bastard...

Beat him like he stole something, for ruining what was once my most favorite of series...

Two Towers was less boring to read than the later books in the WoT series... Hell, accounting form are less dull...

#34 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:44 AM

Im reading "The Tawny Man" trilogy, by RObin Hobb, which follows on from the "Assasin" trillogy...definatly my fav fantasy books!

http://www.amazon.co...rc ... b, Robin

They are all on here..the Assasins books are in the Farseer trillogy

#35 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:48 AM

Haven't heard of 'em. Investigation!

#36 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

During session 4, and the research they did...

I kept waiting for Fin to ask about the DC for a Library Use roll...

#37 MattSheridan

MattSheridan

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, US

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

I used to dislike fantasy books. Then, YEARS ago, my mother gave me the first 8 chapters of the first book (some promo thing where they were a little mini book). I loved it, and started reading them with a passion...

Until lke book 6 or 7... Where I skipped like 20 pages, and missed NOTHING... Still the same people, having the same converstion, having actually not said anything of worth.

I heard "Jordan is dying" around book 3... When it was going to be an 8 book series. I was crushed.

Now, I had to turn down a chance to interview the man at a DragonCon a year or two ago...

I was unable to promise that I wouldn't bitch-slap the fat bastard...

Beat him like he stole something, for ruining what was once my most favorite of series...

Two Towers was less boring to read than the later books in the WoT series... Hell, accounting form are less dull...

My wife and I started listening to the Wheel of Time series in audiobook format. I think it only took us until the end of the second book to realize that the whole damned (alarmingly-appropriately-named) series was just going to keep repeating the same plot formula on the larger scale . . . while also repeating the same bits and ideas throughout each story on a smaller scale. Still, we kept listening until around book five or six until we finally got too sick of it to continue. You can only hear "tugs braids, smooths skirt, folds arms under breasts, 'Men are so stubborn!', 'Women are so confusing!', embraces saidar" before it becomes completely fricking unbearable.

Of course, it didn't help that we'd also been listening to the Song of Ice and Fire series around the same time. Jordan seriously could not compare.

#38 nittanyjohn

nittanyjohn

Mostly Harmless

• Patrons
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNext town over from Arkham, MA

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

My wife and I started listening to the Wheel of Time series in audiobook format. I think it only took us until the end of the second book to realize that the whole damned (alarmingly-appropriately-named) series was just going to keep repeating the same plot formula on the larger scale . . . while also repeating the same bits and ideas throughout each story on a smaller scale. Still, we kept listening until around book five or six until we finally got too sick of it to continue. You can only hear "tugs braids, smooths skirt, folds arms under breasts, 'Men are so stubborn!', 'Women are so confusing!', embraces saidar" before it becomes completely fricking unbearable.

Of course, it didn't help that we'd also been listening to the Song of Ice and Fire series around the same time. Jordan seriously could not compare.

Preach on brother! I made it to about the end of Wheel #7 (I think) whereupon I closed the book, proclaimed "I just don't CARE!" to nobody in general, and vowed not to pick it up again. I think the pace was down to about 3 days of story time per book. (Less time than I can read it). Sorry that dude is dying, I just don't have any more patience (or time) for him.

And I've just started "A Feast for Crows." G Martin is teh roxxors! (as the kids say it nowadays.)

#39 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

Preach on brother! I made it to about the end of Wheel #7 (I think) whereupon I closed the book, proclaimed "I just don't CARE!" to nobody in general, and vowed not to pick it up again. I think the pace was down to about 3 days of story time per book. (Less time than I can read it). Sorry that dude is dying, I just don't have any more patience (or time) for him.

And I've just started "A Feast for Crows." G Martin is teh roxxors! (as the kids say it nowadays.)

I pitched all the copies I had of WoT into a camp fire...

I never knew shitty writing burned so well...

#40 MattSheridan

MattSheridan

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, US

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

Just got to the researching-the-history-of-the-Banewarrens bit in this episode, and now I'm wondering if the RPGMP3 crew ever saw the Friday the 13th TV series . . . because Monte Cook seriously must have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge