2 replies to this topic

#1 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

In most games, sooner or later you get into combat. And most characters try to have some combat skills... but it can be interesting to play a non-combat character, and spend those points/build in something different.

But then, when it comes to combat... what the hell do you do?

Currently, I'm thinking of a Cthulhu style game, but there are plenty of games where it comes down to combat sooner or later. What are some good things to do with characters to be helpful that isn't sitting out of way, and making the other players (who did take combat skills) wish you hadn't turned up?

#2 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

In CoC, everybody has (low) percentages in almost every fighting skill: Fist, Kick, Knife, Handgun, etc. If you don't have "hit nearest friend" fumbles, then give that elderly professor a .45 and let him blaze away.

For games with magic, if stuff like wands or scrolls are NOT restricted to certain classes or skills, then a non-combat character can participate.

If you're looking at a climactic set-piece, then you can design it specifically so that the non-combat character has to do something to save the day while his combat buddies are holding off the baddies.  I did that in Adventure! Serial 1, where the non-combat engineer had to use his skills while the rest of the party kept the bad guys away from him.

You can also design non-combat scenes where the non-combat character can be the focus, and combat skills are useless. That may balance out the perceived uselessness of the non-combat character in combat.

#3 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

That's with someone happy to go with skills... what if you are playing a pacifist? Or don't want to use guns or other weapons? (especially if they have an insanity!)

Note: probably not for D&D, although it is possible to do a non-attack supporter build. I did that, although it would have worked better if we had more people and I wasn't needed to help attack...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge