286 replies to this topic

#41 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:55 PM

Unfortunately, all my characters are factioned, at the moment, and they're a little too embroiled to leave.

One thing I do recommend you all watch closely, though, is your builds-- your CP is very finite, and if you want to be viable at much of anything at higher levels, you should avoid taking skills you aren't absolutely sure you need.

A big pitfall here is combat skills. It's not a great idea to branch out-- pick a single tree and follow it to its completion. Only go with hand to hand if you're going to be a mage-type or a Pariah. Fencing is probably the best of the melee, and there are points to all of the ranged weapons (anyone going for Void Walker almost -must- take the full thrown weapons tree, and see the wiki entry for Whisper of the Thousand Teeth for why)

Read the wiki, for skills and classes especially, and try to have a plan in mind before you spend any CP. It's a little powergamey, but there's nothing worse than realizing you won't be able to afford a skill or spell that looks really neat way on down the line.

#42 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hey, cool to see you guys are playing NW too, should have expected it. The faction is kink, Mr. Hal, though I'll have to delete one of my characters (Still, Jam, and Blink) to get one that meets the moral requirements. I suppose my used-to-be-a-paladin-but-now-a-puny-shooty-mortal would be the easiest choice, but I lurve her so. :?

As a sidenote: yarr, I deleted my pure-melee paladin. He was a depressingly boring character to play, for me; there just don't seem to be enough evil T2-T3 targets around to make a holy combat build entertaining by itself. I haven't really looked at how you're building yours, Mr. Boss, but y'might consider sideline exp-gathering skills if you haven't already, if only for the sake of finding meaningful daily activity.

Also: Neon gives good advice, seems to me -- though I don't have any T3's yet, so I'm no expert. I might add that some caster classes don't need combat skills at all if they have a reasonable alternate method for gathering exp. Once you hit level 10 you can learn spells like Ice Dart, Fire Dart, Thunder Bolt, and The Crushing, all of which have a 100% natural hit rate. Further, if you are considering investing in spells, be sure to note what combat tree the spell relies upon. Some are touch attacks, some are ranged, and a few are thrown.

I guess it should also be noted that the game is still in beta, and there will probably be another character wipe sometime down the line... So y'know, none of what you build now is permanent, and learning mistakes are okay.

#43 arvis

arvis

Kobold

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV, USA

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

How much time would this take for me to be useful to the faction? I've got a wedding to plan and a few classes to take...?

#44 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

Very little. You can burn through three character's AP in 10-15 minutes on the easy. AP refreshes every 12 hours or so.

#45 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

As a sidenote: yarr, I deleted my pure-melee paladin. He was a depressingly boring character to play, for me; there just don't seem to be enough evil T2-T3 targets around to make a holy combat build entertaining by itself.

Consider joining one of the larger factions on one or two of your characters. The Pirates of R'Lyeh are pretty frequently combatting the good-aligned factions, and there are plenty of T2s and T3s on either side of the various raids going on.

Also: Neon gives good advice, seems to me -- though I don't have any T3's yet, so I'm no expert. I might add that some caster classes don't need combat skills at all if they have a reasonable alternate method for gathering exp. Once you hit level 10 you can learn spells like Ice Dart, Fire Dart, Thunder Bolt, and The Crushing, all of which have a 100% natural hit rate. Further, if you are considering investing in spells, be sure to note what combat tree the spell relies upon. Some are touch attacks, some are ranged, and a few are thrown.

The problem with the dart spells is that they don't deal much damage, and as you go up in tiers, if you're going to be attacking, you need to attack people of your tier and better, who tend to be affected less and less by damage, and if you MP and AP out doing 1 damage to someone, it's a bit of a waste.

Any kind of ranged spell that isn't covered by thrown weapon should be covered by the spell combat skill, I think. On the whole, though, most spells worth using as damage use your martial arts for the hit rate. Again, look through the wiki for stuff that appeals to you, and work your way up to that.

-- I could look through some of my factionmates and pull up some sample builds for people to look at, if people think that would help.

ETA: AP regens at a rate of 1 every 15 minutes.

#46 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Consider joining one of the larger factions on one or two of your characters. The Pirates of R'Lyeh are pretty frequently combatting the good-aligned factions, and there are plenty of T2s and T3s on either side of the various raids going on.

'S more good advice. In the case of the RPGMP3 faction, though, I'm not sure raiding will be an option in the reasonably near future.

The problem with the dart spells is that they don't deal much damage, and as you go up in tiers, if you're going to be attacking, you need to attack people of your tier and better, who tend to be affected less and less by damage, and if you MP and AP out doing 1 damage to someone, it's a bit of a waste.

Still more absolute truth. While you're not likely to meet many armors that will significantly soak elemental damage in T2, T3 will be more difficult. There are the new advanced dart spells if you're interested, but they aren't likely to get through Way of the Earth and the like. Perhaps dart spells are better reserved for someone specializing in thrown weapons for the sake of a T3 skill (read: Advocates or perhaps someone planning to use Eyes of Doom, if their mechanic is similar to Eye of Judgement) who would just as soon not use wimpy throwing knives.

#47 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

'S more good advice. In the case of the RPGMP3 faction, though, I'm not sure raiding will be an option in the reasonably near future.

Yeah. I've got a shepherd, though, just hit t2. Thinking of pulling it out of her faction and into this one, for a couple days, at least, and just spending it infusing. Of course, I'll want psychometry and purify first, which is a couple more levels, so we'll see.

(also, to plug, the Pirates of R'Lyeh are an amazing faction, incredibly friendly and helpful people. In addition to being Lovecraftian pirates. Join up and visit our IRC channel! :P )

Perhaps dart spells are better reserved for someone specializing in thrown weapons for the sake of a T3 skill (read: Advocates or perhaps someone planning to use Eyes of Doom, if their mechanic is similar to Eye of Judgement) who would just as soon not use wimpy throwing knives.

Void Walker, baby, Void Walker. :D
Of course, any Void Walker should have a brutal hand to hand attack from their time in Pariah, and would be better to gather such spells as Dispel Greater Ward. :P

#48 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:06 AM

So I'm going to get rid of my Defiler (he isn't built quite right anyway), and he has a number of spells that he'd be glad to donate to the cause -- I can't give 'em to my other characters, so I might as well give 'em to you folks. A screenie:

Posted Image

If anything in the pile strikes you as shiny, lemme know. Happy to meet up somewheres and transfer it over.

#49 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

I'll take the small green and red gems off your hands, if nobody else wants them-- and one of both of the dispel major wards, pretty pretty please.

#50 Ffaern

Ffaern

Goblin

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationThe Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

I REFUSE TO PLAY HAL, SO STOP ASKING ME!!!

Don't blame you. It's really boring.

#51 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hey Face - Long time no squeak! :D

OK, to you and neongrey - what's the best way to level to T2? At the moment I guess that something like melee combat and sense morality and kick the cr*p out of any evil guys you come across...

#52 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

Yours, sir. Now for the tricky part: my defiler makes a point of dying twice daily, and so will be difficult to hunt down. If necessary I can join a convenient faction and try to get to you at a pre-arranged time, but it might be simpler if you'd just post your coords when you shack up for a nap. Unless, of course, you regularly sleep inside a SH yourself, then we'll have to go with the arranged time dealie. Either way, I promise not to murder you ruthlessly when I find you, despite my distinctly sour moral temperament.

[edit]
[edit 2: I heard a rumor about a baby or somesuch. Is manly truth?]
[edit 3: Ah, leveling. I'm really only familiar with the combat approach myself. I can say that my H2H Pariah leveled (and still levels) with a quickness, and my shooty mortal is doing pretty well too. The gunner, it should be mentioned, took some time at level 1 to gather a number of exploration badges for tasty CP, so by the time she started gathering exp she had a bit of a head start with her skills. Naturally the old paladin took to combat as well, and his axe & sabre kept pace with the pre-pariah's H2H violence.]

#53 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

Yours, sir. Now for the tricky part: my defiler makes a point of dying twice daily, and so will be difficult to hunt down. If necessary I can join a convenient faction and try to get to you at a pre-arranged time, but it might be simpler if you'd just post your coords when you shack up for a nap. Unless, of course, you regularly sleep inside a SH yourself, then we'll have to go with the arranged time dealie. Either way, I promise not to murder you ruthlessly when I find you, despite my distinctly sour moral temperament.

I do hang out in an SH, I'm afraid, but it's pretty centrally located. I can get to anywhere within 50 AP of 26, 38 in St Germaine, though.

For those needing to level in a good alignment, take the first aid skill tree, and find a hospital. Search it for first aid kits. Run around healing people.

#54 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

Rgr that. I'll look through the factions and find one with a SH near your own; there's really no telling where Jam will be if I don't get him somewhere safe by nightfall. I'll letcha know how things develop.

Still a number of spells for anyone that's interested. :)

[edit]be[/i] a pirate until I decided the faction bonuses were better appreciated by my shooter. It's a shame Blink can't carry the goods to you herself.]
[edit 2: TSO will do; seems you guys are neighbors. Jam respawned on a tiny little island, so he's managed to travel about half the distance to TSO's stronghold and hide in a blood waste. Here's hopin' the dude can keep breathin' 'til his next move.]

#55 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

[edit]be[/i] a pirate until I decided the faction bonuses were better appreciated by my shooter. It's a shame Blink can't carry the goods to you herself.]

Ah, well. The Cap'n's particularly thrilled about this, at least. :)
We are having trouble with wards right now, after all, and the ices are particularly handy for the demon population.

[edit 2: TSO will do; seems you guys are neighbors. Jam respawned on a tiny little island, so he's managed to travel about half the distance to TSO's stronghold and hide in a blood waste. Here's hopin' the dude can keep breathin' 'til his next move.]

Yeah, neighbours and raiding buddies. It'll also keep you from being jumped by any other wandering pirates, too. Lemme know when you're nearer, and I'll step out of the SH.

The relevant character is neonblack.

#56 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

Sounds sparkly. Speaking of sparkly (I am my own segway machine), the RNG was particularly kind to me today and I just feel a lot better if I have someone to gloat with/at. Mira:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yes. The violence was immediate, dramatic, and messy.

#57 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

Awwwesome.

#58 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Awright, made it into the TSO stronghold, but I'll need to shore up some AP for the transfers. It'll be a few hours, so no rush.

#59 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

Aright, when I go make my rounds punching people for exp, I'll hang out outside the pirates' SH, rather than go back inside. It should be relatively safe.

ETA: All right, I'm camped outside my stronghold.

Argh. No I'm not, I got killed by a TSO. WTF.

#60 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

Harsh. Lemme know when you're back in position, I've got enough AP for the tradin'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge