• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

The Worlds Largest Dungeon using Pathfinder?

pathfinder aeg

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

Has anyone run The Worlds Largest Dungeon using Pathfinder (or other editions of D&D)?  If so, did you run it as written, or was there a lot of work to change stat blocks etc.?

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:49 AM

I've not tried it. I suspect a lot of it can be run as written as a lot of the monsters (especially early on) are standard from the Monster Manual so they should equate pretty well.

There are a few monsters that would need work to add levels and all encounters would have to be checked for balance before you ran them but I don't see why it wouldn't work and be a pretty easy conversion.

Hal :hal:

#3 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

I've not tried it. I suspect a lot of it can be run as written as a lot of the monsters (especially early on) are standard from the Monster Manual so they should equate pretty well.

There are a few monsters that would need work to add levels and all encounters would have to be checked for balance before you ran them but I don't see why it wouldn't work and be a pretty easy conversion.

Yeah, I'm going to take a look over the first level and check them against the stat blocks in the Pathfinder Bestiary.  I was more hoping someone would have some notes I could beg, borrow or steal.  *cough* @Lockhart *cough*

Is there any chance you could make a guest appearance as the voice of the Lantern Archon?  :plotting:

Stephen

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

*cough* @Lockhart *cough*
Is there any chance you could make a guest appearance as the voice of the Lantern Archon?  :plotting:

Ooh, that might be a great new Patron incentive. :) Sign up, and get access to recordings of Lockhart, Hal, and other amazing GMs on the site, where they recite various stock NPC commentary.

#5 melanikus

melanikus

SuperLurker

• Patrons
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

I have been running WLD in Pathfinder for a few years now ( I shudder to think how long) with a regular group (currently in Region D, after exploring A, B, C, F, G, L, & H). I run it pretty much from the book using stat blocks from the bestiaries where possible (spellcasters or classed monsters I usually re-crerate or run from the book as is). The only bit to really look out for is creating the CMD & CMB stats on the fly, otherwise most of the statblocks are fine to use from the book.

#6 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

This is a good point. Pathfinder is fairly well designed and established with it's bestiaries now that you can run most 3.5 adventures with simple substitution. And if they do more NPC products it shouldn't be too tricky to slip in those as substitutions for old stat blocks too, though I tend to prefer the personal and more deadly touch of re-stating complex enemies myself.

#7 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

I have been running WLD in Pathfinder for a few years now ( I shudder to think how long) with a regular group (currently in Region D, after exploring A, B, C, F, G, L, & H). I run it pretty much from the book using stat blocks from the bestiaries where possible (spellcasters or classed monsters I usually re-crerate or run from the book as is). The only bit to really look out for is creating the CMD & CMB stats on the fly, otherwise most of the statblocks are fine to use from the book.

Okay, I never had the book so I don't how this works, but I assumed that the map was three regions across and then many more top to bottom, meaning from region A you could either go East to region B or north to region D. Meaning region D would be relatively low level. Did the book have suggestions on increasing the difficulty if the region was explored in a different order or am I missing something?

#8 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

No - I think the dungeon was organized so that things got more difficult the further you got from the entrance area - I never really assess the difficultly of getting through it or if there was an optimal route.

I suspect different parties will find different areas more of less difficult. Our group never went back to explore all the possibilities :)

Maybe I need to run this again on audio... :P Or a different Mega Dungeon. Does the site need a new Mega Dungeon Recording?

#9 forgedchaos

forgedchaos

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCanton OH

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

I love Mega Dungeons, would mind playing in one or if i could find a group and figure out how to record it Running one

#10 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

On one hand, I like Mega-dungeons. On the otherhand, Shattered Star has been quite dungeon heavy...Though admittedly not a Mega-dungeon.

I have plenty of Mega-dungeons itching to run though. Temple of Jing. Emerald Spire. Or maybe a FGG Mega-module. So many adventures, So little time.

Mind...Maybe some shorter modules/campaigns might be good too after Phandelver and Shattered Star. Things finished under 10 sessions. Variety. Maybe me and Hal need to run different things con-currently...

I'm getting off topic. I believe some friends in Yorkton are running WLD with Pathfinder. Maybe I should check how much is being modded there.

#11 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

I have Caslte Whiterock which looks pretty promising...

Was thinking I might try and see about taking a classic DnD style mega dungeon and seeing about running it in something like Rolemaster ;)

I still like Night Below - I ran a great game of it in the far distant past before we started recording out games and I think it might work pretty well as an RM game :D

:P

#12 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:02 PM

We're still all waiting for World's Largest City...

#13 forgedchaos

forgedchaos

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCanton OH

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:03 AM

I like that Idea of running a classic D&D in RoleMaster (Need More RoleMaster Drool...) I would love to do either Ruins of the UnderMountian or Dragon Mountian 

#14 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:21 AM

But will there be the fun of a Hal run Rolemaster shopping trip in a mega dungeon?

#15 forgedchaos

forgedchaos

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCanton OH

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:27 AM

There would be in Ruins of the Undermountain, The entrance is a bar on the outskirts of Waterdeep.

#16 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:46 AM

If you fancy running a Megadungeon then I'd suggest a serious look at some of the "Old School Renaissance" offerings, often rather more inventive and unusual than those from the bigger companies.

In particular, Dwimmermount and Stonehell are especially well done, clearly presented and full of opportunities for adventure. However, for the full-on Old School experience you should take a look at the mad genius that is The Anomalous Subsurface Environment. Proper mental :D

(Posting from my 'phone so haven't added links, but all are easily found through Google)

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

I have Caslte Whiterock which looks pretty promising...

Too bad the old Pantsless Gamers play-thru of that scenario never got very far into the dungeon, the characters were highly entertaining (including a certain trouser-weasel-toting Halfling Wizard played by a Skype-added newcomer named Hal...) ;)

Was thinking I might try and see about taking a classic DnD style mega dungeon and seeing about running it in something like Rolemaster ;)

Huzzah! :D

Maybe I need to run this again on audio... :P Or a different Mega Dungeon. Does the site need a new Mega Dungeon Recording?

Speaking of which...

Why Dungeons & Dragons players stopped exploring megadungeons
Fun article!
And check out his other posts from Nov 2015 about the underworld and the megadungeon, their importance to old school D&D, and a few ideas about bringing them back:

#18 forgedchaos

forgedchaos

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCanton OH

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Was just on facebook and relized another great campaign/megadugeon that would be great to run is The Great Modron March

#19 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

I want to write a megadungeon....

Maybe I'll see if I can get a start on one and start running it on here... (ponders)

#20 forgedchaos

forgedchaos

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCanton OH

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:57 AM

Hal that would be wonderful and I for one would be first in line to play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge