• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JamieMcCrimmon

JamieMcCrimmon

Raven

• Patrons
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

I'm not sure which episode of Jade Regent this was in, but Carter mentioned a Kingmaker campaign (that, as it turned out, wasn't audio-recorded) in which the character he was playing was a transsexual witch.

Being TG myself, I was very interested! I then wasted a good couple of hours trying to find a recording before eventually encountering a forum post to the effect that those Kingmaker sessions weren't recorded (sob!)

So... could Carter, when he has time, post some information about this campaign and the characters here? Pretty please? Thanks!

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

Oh goodness. I actually feel a bit embaressed about this because honestly it was a pretty naive attempt at a trans character, and I'm not even sure I did proper justice at all or was offence in portrayal to a trans person. If anything the character comes of more as perpetual cross dresser? I hope the reality of my character isn't too disappointing.

Basically I had a character that was born biologically male but presented as female. And since magic exists in the world like hats of disguise and such, it was honestly never an issue. The character came later in the campaign, about the second book, after my goblin rogue kept dying. But generally, for all intents and purposes, other than me and the GM (Jeff, who joins late in the Dragon's Delve game as a player) knowing the truth, the character was essentially just female. Though admittedly I wasn't thinking too deeply at the background and motivation and the gender hiding was more of a cultural thing as opposed to a self realization? In any event, since it has been requested, here is Alexandria's character as per the time I had to leave the kingmaker campaign.

http://www.myth-weav...?sheetid=370731

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:03 AM

I'm not sure which episode of Jade Regent this was in, but Carter mentioned a Kingmaker campaign (that, as it turned out, wasn't audio-recorded) in which the character he was playing was a transsexual witch.

Being TG myself, I was very interested!

BTW, if you're interested in transgendered characters in RPG Actual Play recordings, you might wanna check out the Pretend Wizards podcast. There's a handful of NPCs that, according to the DM, Christian, are canonically transgender, including Joshua Benbow, Talpidora and Rubi. (Admittedly, this fact has absolutely no discernible effect on the plot, and actually never comes up during the game itself; one of the listeners sent a letter to the group and asked about the topic, which is when Christian mentioned it.)

#4 JamieMcCrimmon

JamieMcCrimmon

Raven

• Patrons
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for that! I don't find Alexandria offensive at all, and I'm gonna headcanon that she had access to some sort of magic or potion to avoid going through male puberty (she's probably not so happy if she has to keep switching off her disguise and shaving her face every morning...).

Anyway, there's a lot of variation among trans people, and a fantasy world with magic allows a trans character plenty of opportunities to deal with issues this world's medical technology can't*. And I realise a character being trans wouldn't really affect the game's plot. I guess I was just thinking "ooh, one of the characters is like me in that regard! I wonder what she's like? I wonder what this game's like as well."

*though Crystal Frasier's backstory for the Harrow cards suggests there's only so much that even magic can do in the Pathfinder campaign worlds.

#5 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

I can't recall what I went with for Alexandria, if it was herblore and intensive morning grooming ritual (I put points in Disguise darnit, she was gonna be good even without magic) but lately pathfinder adventure paths have included a few trans characters and even a trans iconic (the dwarf shaman I believe). For the most part they've actually had magic potions/items/rituals cause full transition, though there have been a couple (Rexus of the last Hell's Rebels) where it is more unclear (I'm of the opinion that the alchemical supplement he takes is more equivalent to hormone therapy than full body transformation because, alchemy versus magic).

Anyway, glad to satisfy a curiosity.

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for that! I don't find Alexandria offensive at all, and I'm gonna headcanon that she had access to some sort of magic or potion to avoid going through male puberty (she's probably not so happy if she has to keep switching off her disguise and shaving her face every morning...).

Well, some women IRL do have very impressive beards, like Harnaam Kaur. Alternatively, Lockhart could bring up the classic "Do dwarf women in your fantasy world have facial hair?" debate, and maybe tell the other PCs that his character was half-dwarf, or something.

*though Crystal Frasier's backstory for the Harrow cards suggests there's only so much that even magic can do in the Pathfinder campaign worlds.

Pathfinder seems to have adopted D&D's (in)famous Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity (although they gave it the slightly less name Girdle of Opposite Gender). Furthermore, a Polymorph Other or Baleful Polymorph should be able to permanently change the spell's target to a person of the same race and with the same generic features (hair color, eye color, etc.) as before, but with the opposite gender.

I can't recall what I went with for Alexandria, if it was herblore and intensive morning grooming ritual (I put points in Disguise darnit, she was gonna be good even without magic) but lately pathfinder adventure paths have included a few trans characters and even a trans iconic (the dwarf shaman I believe).

That's right, Shardra Geltl.

Golarion doesn't have the term "transgender," just like it doesn't really have the term "homosexual." Instead, just like historical Earth, it has a vast variety of third and fourth genders varying between cultures. Dwarves have "rivethun," which is a catch-all for feminine trans women and intersex folk, but other cultures will have other words.

Beside,s what's the fun in spelling everything out? Leave enough breadcrumbs and let people know the joy of finding their own way :)

[...]

I got my pick, and I very much wanted the dwarf shaman as our transgender iconic. Partially because trans people have a long history of spiritual traditions and partially because dwarves are a very traditional race, but we never really spell out what their traditions are. This seemed like a fun way to point out that "traditional" doesn't mean "hates everything."

PZO1129-Shaman_360.jpeg

Incidentally, if you're not already reading Rat Queens, I strongly recommend that you check it out - it's a fantasy comic book (or graphic novel, if you prefer) that's suspiciously similar to any typical D&D campaign, with all the goblin-killing, corpse-looting, swearing and terrible puns that you might expect. It's also got a classic four-member adventuring party as the main characters (rockabilly elf wizard, hippie lesbian halfling rogue, hipster dwarf fighter, and introverted human cleric who happens to be some kind of reformed Cthulhu cultist), with the noteworthy detail that they're all female. Oh, and they've got at least one transgender character, so far. (Plus, the hipster dwarf had some issues with facial hair and less-than-understanding family members, which turned into a story arc of its own).

(Faint nipple and plot spoilers below:)
Spoiler

It's also hilarious and entertaining, and very very bloody and sweary, so there's that. ;)

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

Having checked my note archives, pretty sure it was mentioned in episode 13, right around the 2 h, 19 min mark (when the Dracosaurus Rex attacked).

Internets! Post your favorite quote from this session on the forums, and you will get a mention on live air! And I will force these three people to join the forums, to show that you listen to us.

Come to think of it, Brad, Brian and Aimee have all joined the forums, (as @drkfyre @Arkanon and @Drkladi respectively), so Lockhart technically made good on that promise. ;)

Basically I had a character that was born biologically male but presented as female. And since magic exists in the world like hats of disguise and such, it was honestly never an issue.

When the mage needs a quick disguise.

tumblr_inline_odm31otAv91tdf23s_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge