15 replies to this topic

#1 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

So, FFG is putting out this series of rpg books about the apocalypse (by means of zombies, Cthulhu, UFOs, robots, Mother Nature etc). The concept is that the players play themselves, through a combination of point buy and judgment by your peers ("raise your hand if you think Bob has overestimated his intellect MASSIVELY").

Would something like that appeal to you? I'm uncertain myself. I've tried statting myself in GURPS only to discover what I already knew, that I'm not a viable character for anything. The problem for me is that if I'm me, does that mean that my family's there too, and in danger of being done in by Cthulhu/zombies/rabid squirrels? 'Cos that would be a bit grim.

End_of_the_World_2.png

Then I thought it might be fun with the meta-level of famous fictitious characters statting each other and playing the game. I imagined the characters from Black Books or Sex & The City:wacko:

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

I think this might be interesting though it may cause some offence around the table.

I remember a situation where we were playing Mage and one of the players decided he was going to stat himself. No one had the heart to tell him that his stats were way way way off :)

In most systems, most people are commoners and experts at best. They are not the heroes of the realm.

That being said I think that might be the point. If they get the system correct it and the players are introspective enough I think it might be really interesting...

Hal :hal:

#3 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

It's an idea that's appeared sporadically since the late seventies, most notably in "Villains & Vigilantes" and Greg Porter's "TimeLords" RPGs. It rarely gains much traction and the cons, to my mind, heavily outweigh the pros. Most people exhibit the Dunning-Kruger Effect and overestimate their abilities; and not many people truly want to play an ordinary person (even "Call of Cthulhu" characters don't match any real norm).

Maybe a really simple game like "Risus" would actually handle it better, with its descriptive attributes.

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

We did this once with a game of Hunter: the Reckoning. The group had done it once prior to that, years before I even met them, and they wanted to try it again. There was some confusion with us newcomers and figuring out how to stat ourselves, but it was mostly confusion about how the scale of the points worked. No one intentionally tried to argue that their stats were higher than might be feasible. But then, Hunter points are quite simple and bound to cause arguments for any character because they can be somewhat vague. The game sadly ended too quickly but it was shaping up to be very fun.

I think creating a game where people play themselves has a lot more requirements than inventing characters. In DnD, it doesn't really matter if someone conceived of their guy as aspiring to be the greatest swordsman, another somehow rolled superhuman intellect, another one is a build found on a forum for minmaxers, and the other guy is playing Drizzel the Drow ranger who talks like Snoop Dog. That works. But if everyone plays themselves you need to discuss how to allocate points, they have to be aware that they'll be limited in what they can do to the scope of the game, they have to be fairly self aware of their own flaws, and it helps if everybody knows and likes each other. I can see a lot of situations where it wouldn't work but if everybody does 

get on board it could be fun.

The question about how one's family survives the apocalypse is grim and would certainly have to be addressed.

#5 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

In the game I mentioned you allocate some points, after which there is a secret vote over each PC's characteristics, the outcome deciding whether to lower or raise a stat (or keep it where it is). That'll most likely deep-six any character that's equal parts Rambo, Sherlock Holmes and Raquel Welch.

(Try not to imagine that).

#6 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

Interesting - I think that when Lindsay and I get back from our trip to New York I might pick up a copy of the zombie one. Lockhart and Heather kindly sent me an Amazon coupon for my birthday and this looks like it might be interesting.

I do like voting at character gen - reminds me of Amber :D

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:17 AM

Fandible have already been play-testing the End of the World RPG quite heavily (and will be returning to it, once again, in 3 weeks' time), and enjoying it immensely - even though it ended up with a minor "life imitating art gaming" situation...

#8 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

Of course you can't really play it with strangers at a con or so. For all you know they might be stripper ninjas.  :ph34r:

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:00 AM

Of course you can't really play it with strangers at a con or so. For all you know they might be stripper ninjas.  :ph34r:

It's pronounced "burlesque dancers", and Hal could probably introduce you to some, if you like. :)

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:25 AM

#11 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:06 AM

It's pronounced "burlesque dancers", and Hal could probably introduce you to some, if you like. :)

This is all very true. I could certainly do that. A veritable gaggle of them :)

Ordered this thing - should be here today - I shall report back :)

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:38 AM

Ordered this thing - should be here today - I shall report back :)

Huzzah! Will it, perhaps, be the "XXX-Mas Apocalypse: Pr0n Santa Comes (on your) Back" edition? ;)

#13 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

Huzzah! Will it, perhaps, be the "XXX-Mas Apocalypse: Pr0n Santa Comes (on your) Back" edition? ;)

There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion. Even with the utterly lost, to whom life and death are equally jests, there are matters of which no jest can be made.

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:20 AM

Re: Playing yourself

We tried it for a Halloween horror game a very long time ago. You picked another player to stat you as fairly as possible.

If I recall, the key issue was the game started with us "as is" so we only had access to what we were actually carrying to stop the lovecraftian threat. The GM shook his fist and shouted, "I should have known" when I reached in the game bag and pulled out a copy of the necronomicon.

demotivational-posters-never-judge-a-boo

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:54 AM

https://twitter.com/...291452044312577

#16 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members