#1 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:08 AM

I have been listening to a couple of improv podcasts recently (Improvised Star Trek and Hello From The Magic Tavern) and reflecting on how this relates to the roleplay we do.  They are clearly different things but seem to overlap for me.  In what way do we incorporate improv into our roleplay?

PS - I should mention I mostly stole the title of this topic from the Improvised Radio Theatre With Dice podcast by our own @RogerBW

A shout-out makes stealing ok children.

#2 RogerBW

RogerBW

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Grr snarl grumble mutter oh all right then.  :)

Mostly I try to method-act when I'm playing an NPC - what does he/she want, know, etc.? I don't have prepared speeches or anything, I just take the information the character has and run with it.

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

Grr snarl grumble mutter oh all right then.  :)

A-ha!  I lured the firedrake out of his cave!

I often skip over simple exchanges with NPCs, handwaving shopping trips and the like.  I don't know if I'm missing out by doing this though.  I know it can be fun to spend more time arguing with a gruff dwarven gunsmith or trying to ply the location of the gaol out of the guard with a hangover.  I would like to give more opportunity for this when I'm a GM.

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

I enjoy some of those sort of adlibbed interactions with NPCs. Usually I like to provide my players with the choice on whether they want to just get the generic goods for appropriate gold and we can move on, or if they want some sort of special interaction or hard to find item then we go to roleplaying it. This has led to some very entertaining scenes, such as the paladin of Liiria (he fights for your right to party) getting fleeced by the effeminate elvish weaponsmith, the poison merchant who succeeded at poisoning the party assassin as means of presenting his resume, Geryn the rare creature vender who is desperate to sell off his previously-used giant bat mount, and Hans and Frans who were a pair of fairies trapped in a single human body who were trying to free themselves by stealing the soul of the evil party druid.

But I mandate improvised interactions for other scenes. All of my villains, plot NPCs, and other characters are more than willing to talk to the party and I am usually willing to completely rewrite my story based on a well argued dialogue. It's partly why I dislike systems that make it more difficult to create scenes and encounters on the fly. But not all people are comfortable roleplaying like that. It's definitely a skill that some people take to more easily than others. 

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:23 AM

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:40 AM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: improv, podcasts, improvised star trek, hello from the magic tavern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge