#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:02 AM

Does anyone know of a good example showing how to make a character generator using a spreadsheet? Forgotten Futures has a Java character generation program that seems to struggle to run on more modern computers, so I was hoping to put together an alternative.

#2 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

Let me take a look over the rules. I've used vlookup and drop downs to build a good shadowrun 3e character builder. From what I've heard of y'all playing it's not terribly math unusual until you exceed maximums (which is an issue in shadowrun) and until you add magic.

PM me and I'll email over the shadowrun example which may give you some ideas.

#3 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

I would like to request that you make it in Open Office (or Libre Office) as those made directly in Excel often don't work elsewhere. I think I've seen some for some system (I've used them for many different characters) that haven't hidden the worksheets that make the calculations. It might be worth it to try to deconstruct one of these. I know one came with a readme of basic spreadsheet stuff. I'll see if I can find that it it helps.

-T

PS - Found it. I have a zip file of Laptopdude's editable Pathfinder sheets. The manual included gives a primer on Libre Office and might be worth a look for deconstruction as he has a lot of additional customizable sheets. I'm pretty sure this is where I got it. http://www.enworld.o...haracter-Sheets

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

Thanks @Lucky_Strike for the sheets and @Twyst for the link. I'm using a tablet right now which displays the Excel file but doesn't seem to let me manipulate it, so I'll have to wait until I get to the PC to see if it works in Open Office. Looks very promising.

Incidentally, this link takes you to the Java character generator for Forgotten Futures in case you want to see what that one is like. Or, indeed, if it works on your computer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rpg, spreadsheet, software, play aids, character generation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge