• LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

File Name: Shattered Star Session 44

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 10 Jul 2015

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy
Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

The party finish exploring the keep and deal with the remaining inhabitants before locating the shard and making their rather clumsy escape as this part of the adventure path draws to a close.

Hal as Damir Greycastle the great plane walking Human Oracle
Lindsay as Juniper the all powerful arcane Tielfing Witch
Thing as Goram the stabby Half Orc Fighter
Lockhart as the genocidal GM

Click here to download this file

#2 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

Wha? What? This... continues?

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Yep :)

This one is the last one from the session we ran about a year ago - we just started the game back up with the next book :)

We took a little longer than we expected getting through Phandelver in 5e :)

Hal :hal:

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

I'm only 20 episodes and some years behind! I'm catching up quick!

#5 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

With the new players for Phandelver, will this cast expand?

And next you'll be bringing back Carrion Crown! (...replacing Gilbert admittedly,but...)

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:48 AM

With the new players for Phandelver, will this cast expand?

That is an excellent question. Perhaps one of the players might post spoilers, at some point. ;)

#7 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

I agree that the knowledge that multiple Seugathi was a TPK in the making and yet was not addressed by the writers was a big mistake.

I think that the difficulty of getting into the house does encourage trying to do it in one go, and that the final house encounter is another TPK in the making.  I'm not sure how to balance that other than by making the house easier to get into.

I didn't quite get the demi-realm and the resolution was very unclear to me (likely because it's been so long between this episode and the prior ones). The so-called deal between the brain thingies and the Pathfinder Society(???) was also highly confusing.

Why was the XP divided by three, not four?  I don't remember if/why Alex is getting treated differently than Brunsk?

#8 thom

thom

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

One thing that bothers me post-TPK (and I don't know why) is whether we'll ever find out about the Bogladyte civilisation .... 

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Brunsk was a  paid henchmen and Alex is a follower under Damirs Leadership feat :)

Hal :hal:

#10 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

I agree that the knowledge that multiple Seugathi was a TPK in the making and yet was not addressed by the writers was a big mistake.

I think that the difficulty of getting into the house does encourage trying to do it in one go, and that the final house encounter is another TPK in the making.  I'm not sure how to balance that other than by making the house easier to get into.

I didn't quite get the demi-realm and the resolution was very unclear to me (likely because it's been so long between this episode and the prior ones). The so-called deal between the brain thingies and the Pathfinder Society(???) was also highly confusing.

Why was the XP divided by three, not four?  I don't remember if/why Alex is getting treated differently than Brunsk?

Regarding the house, it's not difficult to get into at all. The stairs are totally unguarded. To get into undetected however... But I did try to stress that he's a rogue element. He's not getting any more help other than what he can scrounge together. His own family was totally ok with him getting murdered to end the feud, provided their property in his possession wasn't touched. The first floor of the house is also very static, very few things leave their room to investigate combat, lending itself to a stop and breath situation. Constructs, once broken, remain so for the most part. Admittedly an assault that leaves all three living characters alive could be dicey to return to, but even that would most likely be an assault by the harpy and cat girl while Berkanin remains in his study until interrupted. No reason a retreat was not feasible. The TPK was mostly unluck, and one part the difficulty of a three person party, rather than being too difficult.

The Demi-plane is just that, it's own little plane, and one that was structurally unsound thousands of years ago. It functions by its own rules and is not part of the material plane. In many ways it's kinda a mini Ravenloft. Karzoug agreed to shore it up with the shard to have the Dark Rider also bound to protect it from attempts to steal it. He also put the bonesage simulacrum there as part of a study agreement I believe. Likely more expansion was planed (Karzog was quite the one for plane exploration and making these little Demi-planes it seems), but then the whole earth fall and stuff.

The deal between the Caulborn and the Librarians at the spire (can't recall proper name. Not pathfinders) is kinda meant to be vague, the PCs weren't there at its initial agreement, and it's possible either the librarians duped the party, or the Caulborn duped the librarians. Either way, the Caulborn wanted into the Dark Forest but Karzog's prop with the shard prevented their entry, but not the entry of humanoids, hence why they reached out to the librarians to get the shard removed. Whether their claim of wanting memories of the group's time in the dark forest is true, or merely a rouse to gain the shard for themselves, is a mystery or up to interpretation of the PCs.

The exp has always been split three ways. Alex is a cohort, like Brunsk turned into.

#11 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

One thing that bothers me post-TPK (and I don't know why) is whether we'll ever find out about the Bogladyte civilisation ....

I may have to try and Easter egg them. They do trade with magnimar after all.

#12 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:55 AM

The one thread that bothers me that is now broken is that 'murderer' on the boat at the very beginning that sounded like a plot hook for later on that the party has no tie to whatsoever now.

#13 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

The one thread that bothers me that is now broken is that 'murderer' on the boat at the very beginning that sounded like a plot hook for later on that the party has no tie to whatsoever now.

That was more foreshadowing about the kind of city Kaer Maga is and the corruption of the Ardoc family than a plot thread, or a potential future ally in the city if they had let her go. This AP is all about the foreshadow, especially the extra downloadable content between book one and two.

#14 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

Ah. It has been so long I didn't realize the deceased's family had been met already. Thought it was still to come.

#15 thom

thom

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Well it would increase my fun (if that's possible).

#16 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:03 AM

Well it would increase my fun (if that's possible).

It's always possible to increase your fun - just use the Paranoia RPG! :)

Happiness_is_Mandatory_by_Joebles-225x45

#17 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

Ok, so I've been consuming all audio (via podcast/itunes feed).  Love the 5e stuff (Phandelver) as I play 5e a lot myself.  I love Shattered Star as well but apparently I am WAAAY behind since I just finished your ep25 (end) of Phandelver and started ep44 of Shattered Star and *totally* don't remember WTF happened. :-D   Gotz ta go bak to teh past!  #runForItMarty!

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

If you're having trouble finding time to play more sessions of this campaign, you could do a one-shot where the players all get pre-gen Boglodyte characters, and have to go on a short little quest or a trading mission. It might be a fun little Christmas special, too - after all, Pr0n Santa has schtupped far stranger things than marshy frog people, so he probably wouldn't say no to a little... swamp exploration. ;) (Or maybe it could be a story of The Brunsk Who Stole Feylinmas, perhaps?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge