#1 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

Well, it's been a while, but a flurry of new game options on Kickstarter have caught my attention. And again, first time in a while, I'm able to afford some of them! So, figured I might as well inform the community on what I'm adding to the Lockhart Game Cabinet:

Tiny Epic Kingdoms Heroes Call

So, the other month while I was at one of the YGG board game days at the library, Kurtis introduced me to this wonderful little game called Tiny Epic Kingdoms. And I fell in love with it. It distills elements of resource-management Euro-games into simplistic and quick gameplay that is nevertheless full of re-play potential. Each race has different abilities and strategies, terrain changes each game, and the war concept is hidden bidding which adds a real element of risk and strategy to it. And one of the best features is how compact they've made it all. Now they're launching a second edition and expansion, and since it is a kickstarter, there is access to the kickstarter exclusive Delux editions of both. I have been unable to pass up this offer and have put in for both, and given how impressed I was with the game, I am likely to blind-purchase the delux editions of the other Tiny games in the add-on backerkit phase.

Epic Card Game

I'm blind-purchasing this one, however I have experienced another deck-building game by the developer, Star Realms, and I was impressed enough with that and the concept of this one (a game specializing in re-play draft experience), and the fairly low cost that I'm willing to buy in. Normally I've been hesitant to the idea of the "CCG without the collectable part" games, but this one looks like it has a lot of promise. Check this one out soon though, it's close to ending!

Carson City Big Box Edition

So I already own Carson City. I love it. It's a worker-placement style game with a lovely addition of complexity. When I want a step up from Lords of Waterdeep this is it and it fills that role wonderfully. However, I don't own any expansions. This appears to be a re-print of the core game and all expansions, allowing people to get them all at once or just what they're missing. If you haven't guessed I'm a sucker for expansions even if they don't necessarily always get used (the core game has tons of replayability on its own). Nevertheless, the accountant in me see this as a chance to get the expansions as a cheap price before they become rare and expensive (the core game itself is not cheap and was selling for a fair amount anyway). So if you enjoy your Euro-board games, give this a check out and maybe grab a copy while the opportunity is there.

Wok Star

Ok, so, I played this game ages ago. Like, 5+ years ago. But I've never forgot the experience because I've never played or seen a game that plays like this. It is a real-time co-operative game. You're running an asian food restaurant and each player is responsible for prepping certain ingrediants and preparing certain dishes. Rounds have a time limit, orders come randomly from a deck, can you complete a service within the time limit?

Admittedly, I'm on the fence on this one. Partly because there has to be some limit to how much I spend on games in a year (Hahahahaha), and partly because the snobby analytical side of me can't decide if I actually like the real-time mechanic or not. There is a part of me that sees the meta of the game, and it feels flimsy and non-satisfactory almost. But at the same time, while you're playing the game with a true spirit, It is fun and frantic, you're rolling those dice to get the result you need to complete the prep on your ingrediants, you're watching like a hawk to see if the ingrediants you need are on the board yet, and you don't even think about the fact that it's only hard because you're playing honestly. There's a few days left on this one. Again, purely for the uniqueness of it and the fact that I honestly have had a lot of fun in my limited experience, I might pledge in. But then again, I might not. However, if you love quick-time games like Spot-it, Jungel Speed, Dutch Blitz, definately look seriously at this. It will make those speed games into a unique and fun co-operative experience and truly grasp the feeling of being in the kitchen of a busy restaurant.

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:45 AM

I have a bunch of board and card games backed in Kickstarter - including the awesome looking Conan board game which is going to kick ass...

Some of those look interesting Mr @Lockhart - I shall have to investigate.

I wish there was an easy way to embed the videos from Kickstarter into the site...

Hal :hal:

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

How about this?

Wyrmwood Magnetic Dice Tower

Not that I am a big proponent of dice towers as I like to hear the death of my players as it rattles across the table towards them - but this is a pretty sweet idea :)

#4 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

How about this?

Wyrmwood Magnetic Dice Tower

Not that I am a big proponent of dice towers as I like to hear the death of my players as it rattles across the table towards them - but this is a pretty sweet idea :)

I've had a dice tower or two in my time. However they've seen very little use in the past years as I've gone more and more digital. So I'm not in need of another. Also my goodness those prices are insane!

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

tumblr_nrau7pwloO1qfxn77o1_540.png

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:00 AM

The latest episode of Gravity Falls: Dungeons, Dungeons and More Dungeons seems like it might interest anyone who enjoys board games (or RPGs):

tumblr_nsji66hOUX1qb3o8to1_400.giftumblr_nsji66hOUX1qb3o8to2_400.gif
tumblr_nsji66hOUX1qb3o8to3_400.giftumblr_nsji66hOUX1qb3o8to5_400.gif
tumblr_nsji66hOUX1qb3o8to10_400.giftumblr_nsji66hOUX1qb3o8to4_400.gif

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

tumblr_nskrj15ENv1qk24apo1_500.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, board game

0 user(s) are reading this topic