30 replies to this topic

#1 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

So, hypothetically, if I were to possibly, maybe, potentially start a modified 1st Edition AD&D game, would anyone be interested in playing?

#2 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hypothetically, I'm always interested in playing more games. I even have a fairly open schedule at the moment, although I think I'm on Bangkok time despite living in Central Canada. What are these modifications you speak of?

Is it Thac0? Did you kill Thac0? I'd be okay with that because I've forgotten, again, how to calculate the bloody thing.

#3 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:02 PM

Hypothetically, I'm always interested in playing more games. I even have a fairly open schedule at the moment, although I think I'm on Bangkok time despite living in Central Canada. What are these modifications you speak of?

Is it Thac0? Did you kill Thac0? I'd be okay with that because I've forgotten, again, how to calculate the bloody thing.

Thac0 is one of the things that I've looked at repeatedly, and it still annoys me.  It's really just a Base Attack Bonus in reverse, although the 1st Edition tables seem to favour monsters more than the brave hero.  According to the tables a 2nd level Fighter still needs a 20 to hit AC0, yet a 1 HD Orc only needs a 19.  I think I would just simplify it into a bonus to hit, modified by level (so exactly like a Base Attack Bonus).

The other modifications, in no particular order, are:

1) All spellcasters have bonus spells per day based on their primary ability (using the same table that Clerics do).

2) All spellcasters can cast any spell they know without having to learn it beforehand, up to their maximum per day.  I always thought it was odd that Clerics, who are basically requesting divine assistance, had to define what they wanted at the start of the day.  Magic-Users and Illusionists still need a decent rest, and must spend about an hour studying their spells each morning.

3) I have a list of skills from an old edition of Dragon Magazine, which I have altered and expanded upon for my own game.  It's percentage based, and you get starting skill points based on your class.  I would probably give additional skill points as you level, and allow the opportunity for skills you use successfully to go up each level too (like in Call of Cthulhu).  I might extend this to languages too.

4) You can trade gold for experience points on a 1:1 basis, assuming you can find someone to train you in your class.  Multi-class characters can opt to buy experience for one of their classes, depending on who they go to for training.

5) I don't give experience for gold found, or for magic items.....so nyah.

6) I like five foot steps and attacks of opportunity, so they're in.

7) I don't use the racial limits/requirements for attributes/classes, but I don't give bonus XP for having a high primary attribute either.

That's all I can think of for now.  The alternative would be to play Pathfinder using the 1st Edition classes and XP charts.  :ph34r:

Stephen

#4 Texan

Texan

Toad

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX (Westchase)

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

Thac0 is one of the things that I've looked at repeatedly, and it still annoys me.  It's really just a Base Attack Bonus in reverse, although the 1st Edition tables seem to favour monsters more than the brave hero.  According to the tables a 2nd level Fighter still needs a 20 to hit AC0, yet a 1 HD Orc only needs a 19.  I think I would just simplify it into a bonus to hit, modified by level (so exactly like a Base Attack Bonus).

1) All spellcasters have bonus spells per day based on their primary ability (using the same table that Clerics do).

2) All spellcasters can cast any spell they know without having to learn it beforehand, up to their maximum per day.  I always thought it was odd that Clerics, who are basically requesting divine assistance, had to define what they wanted at the start of the day.  Magic-Users and Illusionists still need a decent rest, and must spend about an hour studying their spells each morning.

3) I have a list of skills from an old edition of Dragon Magazine, which I have altered and expanded upon for my own game.  It's percentage based, and you get starting skill points based on your class.  I would probably give additional skill points as you level, and allow the opportunity for skills you use successfully to go up each level too (like in Call of Cthulhu).  I might extend this to languages too.

4) You can trade gold for experience points on a 1:1 basis, assuming you can find someone to train you in your class.  Multi-class characters can opt to buy experience for one of their classes, depending on who they go to for training.

7) I don't use the racial limits/requirements for attributes/classes, but I don't give bonus XP for having a high primary attribute either.

That's all I can think of for now.  The alternative would be to play Pathfinder using the 1st Edition classes and XP charts.  :ph34r:

Stephen

Not sure I would call this a 1st addition game.   Too many fundimental changes and additions from later editions of D&D.  

Sucking gold away was accomplished by requiring training up to game rank at a cost of 1000-gp per level ( to go to from 2nd to third cost 3000gp).   But with your system they will be buying XP with gold which will take much longer for them to advance.

#5 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:58 AM

Sounds like fun! Too bad my free time has recently become mostly nonexistent :(

#6 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

Not sure I would call this a 1st addition game.   Too many fundimental changes and additions from later editions of D&D.  

Sucking gold away was accomplished by requiring training up to game rank at a cost of 1000-gp per level ( to go to from 2nd to third cost 3000gp).   But with your system they will be buying XP with gold which will take much longer for them to advance.

You can call it whatever you like, as is your right.  I'm calling it a modified 1st Edition AD&D game.  :P

As for the level advancement, it's actually your current level x 1500gp x up to 4 weeks of training (depending on how close you play to your class).  So if you're a Thief that refuses to pick locks or find traps, you're looking at 6000gp to get to 2nd level.  I never used that rule because I find it stupid.  My method, used in a number of previous games, isn't designed to deprive players of cash.  It's main use is for players who find themselves a few hundred experience short of a level.  I have never had anyone try to buy entire levels with gold, as the vast majority of their experience comes from actual adventuring.

Stephen

#7 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

Sounds like fun! Too bad my free time has recently become mostly nonexistent :(

Go on, give in to the dark side!  :iemp:

#8 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

I have never had anyone try to buy entire levels with gold,

Challenge accepted!

#9 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

Challenge accepted!

And, hypothetically, what kind of character accepts this challenge?

#10 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

Scrooge McDuck

#11 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

Scrooge McDuck

Sorry, this isn't RuneQuest!  :)

#12 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

Stephen

Okay. I was interested but you really lost me at rule 2. The same goes for rule 7 really. They were pretty daft but they added balance to make up for how overpowered the nonhuman races were (which essentially meant they were very powerful at lower levels but petered out into redundancy later on). Not the ebst way of doing it but it worked as a system.

I see you're keeping the percentile unarmed combat system and the percentile assassin auto-kill for assassination attempts 'though :).

Thaco was a 2nd edition rule. It didn't really exist in 1st edition. It began to be used as an abbreviation in a few stat blocks towards the back end of 1st edition but I never actually saw it as a hard and fast rule before 2nd. I liked the six 20's in a row on the attack tables because heroes could have modifiers.

#13 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

Okay. I was interested but you really lost me at rule 2. The same goes for rule 7 really. They were pretty daft but they added balance to make up for how overpowered the nonhuman races were (which essentially meant they were very powerful at lower levels but petered out into redundancy later on). Not the ebst way of doing it but it worked as a system.

I see you're keeping the percentile unarmed combat system and the percentile assassin auto-kill for assassination attempts 'though :).

Thaco was a 2nd edition rule. It didn't really exist in 1st edition. It began to be used as an abbreviation in a few stat blocks towards the back end of 1st edition but I never actually saw it as a hard and fast rule before 2nd. I liked the six 20's in a row on the attack tables because heroes could have modifiers.

The modifications to spellcasters was to make them more versatile, so we didn't have as many of the "Yes I do know that spell, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to learn it" conversations.  And I'm really not interested in making sure that every Dwarf has a minimum Constitution of 12, or limiting Half Elven Clerics to level 5.  As you say, it makes them redundant at later levels, and that isn't the type of game I want to run.  Races are still limited in what classes they can choose, so if you want to be a Paladin, Human is the only option.

I'm really not sure what your reference to unarmed combat or assassination attempts is for.

And Thac0 was absolutely a 1st Edition rule.  It has all the tables for every character class/monster right there in the Combat section of the DMG.  It even uses it in the example combat.

#14 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

I still don't want to commit until I know more about when the game would be played, because my schedule is a bit wonky even if it is open. However, if I do play, I have a character somewhat started.

He's a half-orc assassin, which means he's technically evil, but he's a really nice guy who just wants to find some people who will be his friends. He's on a noble quest, you see, to find never ending supplies of bread and jam. Technically he has an 11 Int but he is very uneducated and his wisdom is very poor, so he doesn't always understand what's going on around him. And, like all good assassins, he has 19 strength. His name is Oddric, and Oddric is stelfy.

#15 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

I still don't want to commit until I know more about when the game would be played, because my schedule is a bit wonky even if it is open. However, if I do play, I have a character somewhat started.

He's a half-orc assassin, which means he's technically evil, but he's a really nice guy who just wants to find some people who will be his friends. He's on a noble quest, you see, to find never ending supplies of bread and jam. Technically he has an 11 Int but he is very uneducated and his wisdom is very poor, so he doesn't always understand what's going on around him. And, like all good assassins, he has 19 strength. His name is Oddric, and Oddric is stelfy.

There hasn't really been any interest here, so I'll try over on Roll20 and see if I can find some players on there.  I'll let you know if I get anything sorted.

#16 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

So I checked the campaign I had set up on Roll20 last year some time, and apparently I stated that I was looking to use the setting for 1st Edition AD&D, 2nd Edition AD&D, Pathfinder, 5th Edition D&D, 1st Edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Cthulhu Dark Ages.  I had no idea I was such a glutton for punishment.  :blink:

Anyway, here's the link to the campaign if anyone is interested:

https://app.roll20.n...n/100430/Sj4MVQ

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:44 AM

#18 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:51 PM

So, hypothetically, if I were to possibly, maybe, potentially start a modified 1st Edition AD&D game, would anyone be interested in playing?

I am finally just going to go ahead and start a 1st Edition AD&D game over on Roll20.  I'll be running a group through the three classic super modules: The Temple of Elemental Evil, Scourge of the Slavelords and Queen of the Spiders.  If you're interested in joining, here's a link to the page:

https://app.roll20.n.../1072374/mRb0ag

Stephen

#19 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:39 AM

Saw this on Twitter, and didn't realize it must be your account until I looked for a proper forum thread to post it in: ;)

#20 glipe

glipe

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

Saw this on Twitter, and didn't realize it must be your account until I looked for a proper forum thread to post it in: ;)

Yes, it is indeed me.  I've got 6 players so far, which is enough to play with, but I can accomodate another two players if the interest is there.  Not that I'm saying they'll need all the help they can get, well maybe......possibly........absolutely......positively.  The group so far is a Paladin, a Cleric, a Monk, a Thief and a Fighter/Scout.  One player hasn't decided yet, but I'm guessing it might be some sort of User of Magic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge