#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Something from a capsule review in Space Gamer has stuck with me through the years, a comment that there's more than one reason to buy a new game. Sometimes it's not going to replace your favourite, or even get played at all, but it may well provide useful material nonetheless.

D&D 5th edition is certainly not the first appearance of the Advantage / Disadvantage mechanic, where instead of a single die you roll two dice and take the better or worse result depending on whether you are at an advantage or a disadvantage, but it's probably the most prominent. It's a clever, useful and extremely easy to steal rule, adaptable to many other systems; and I can see myself duly pinching it and trying it out in different games.

What rules have you successfully ported from one game to another? Is there a particular reason why they fit? or do you use them despite a slightly clunky connection with your preferred mechanics? Let's see some suggestions so everyone can get stealing :D

#2 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

I quite like the idea of bennies as they appear in Savage Worlds. I like being able to give a little reward for players doing something cool and it is always good to have something that can overcome the dice roll failures of inevitability.

I have to say that I also like the way that the Karma Cards have been used in Forgotten Futures. 

I haven't played 5E yet but I am very keen to see how the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic works in practice.

#3 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

I'm really struggling with this because I know I've lifted a mechanic out of one game to use in another but I can't figure out which it was.

I can recall doing full on conversions from one ruleset to another, which I suppose is the highest level of this, or perhaps the opposite. I am particularly fond of Heroquest and Mutant and Masterminds 2E for this, as both of those systems allow you to build anything, do anything, and they make most things easy to run once you figure them out.

#4 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

This is a very hard one for me as well because I'm certain my memory is incomplete.

The only single mechanic I have lifted whole and dropped into other systems is the unknown armies sanity system. I've used it in place of chaosium's and I've added it to over the edge and d20 fantasy.

#5 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

I wouldn't say 'favourite mechanic', but upon listening to Shattered Star 20 it seems that I pinched the 4e skill challenge mechanic to to help judicate the process of the party making peace between two swamp tribes.

#6 Sênstaku

Sênstaku

Kobold

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

I don't know if it counts as 'another game', but our play group used a lot of 5th ed D&D rules in our Warcraft RPG (which is based on D&D 3.5), such as advantage/disadvantage, the attribute cap of 20 and level up rules of 5th ed, the 5th ed experience tables, and the 5th ed spellcasting rules.

These made the system speed up quite a bit and our GM for that system is looking into doing a full-conversion for the Warcraft RPG from 3.5 to 5th ed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge