#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

So - what do we be thinking of this? I quite like Arrow and Flash is OK if you can get past the annoying...

Hal :hal:

#2 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

For myself, I actually prefer the tone of Flash over Arrow. The show doesn't take itself as seriously and doesn't get into nearly as much moodiness. When the characters go "Oh noes, this is the worst!" you can roll your eyes and tell them to stop whining about it like a bunch of emo tweens, whereas in Arrow you can't decide to lose all their contact info so you never have to talk to them again or start booking them into every kind of therapy available.

Then Arrow added Ray Palmer and things got... disjointed. This version of the Atom didn't jive very well for me in that series. Which is a shame because I liked what the series was doing and I also really liked Routh's Ray Palmer. I wanted a show about that. I was especially impressed when, in true CW fashion, they entangled him in a romantic triangle, the moment he became aware of it in character, Ray removed himself from the equation. He was hurt but he behaved like an adult, which is rare for these kinds of shows. 

Arrow is getting another season. Flash is getting another season. Then I hear that there's a spinoff with both of them and Routh's Ray Palmer is in it as well. And some other characters. And Rip Hunter (possibly one of my favourite names ever, though nothing will ever surmount Warren Peace from Sky High) is taking them on time travelling adventures. And there's a trailer....

The show looks ridiculous. It is being presented as unapologetically so. It feels like one of those team-up comics that is pitched with "So I want to take this toybox of action figures and smash them together and it'll be awesome!" Like a 7 year old pitched it. I have my reservations. Not all of the effects look finished, although if we're months away from airing that's easily fixed. More worrying is that this show might be the wrong kind of dumb. It could easily get there. It could be Power Rangers, and I don't think anybody really wants that. On the other hand, my inner 7 year old has not been more excited for a TV show in a long time and if they do it right, even if it's the right kind of dumb, it could be amazing. I can't wait to see it.

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

I'm trying not to compare it to the Avengers.  It does feel a bit unfinished in comparison but to be fair perhaps the only way to know will be to watch it.

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

I think it might be funny :) Maybe! Or it could be a bit of a train wreck.

Also yes - I agree - I prefer Flash to Arrow. Arrow was a little too soap opera. But I guess you are going to get that with a TV series vs a movie...

Hal :hal:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge