• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scorpion-Red

Scorpion-Red

Toad

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

1.) What good is it for the PC's to find money, gems, etc if they can't spend it anywhere?
I was trying to think of someway to implement a shop of sorts in each region, but most of the orcs/goblins, etc have no use for money.

I also thought about a magic item that allows the PC's to summon an entity that will purchase goods for them, and buy their goods, but it was only useable once per region. My problem with this is that the summoned entity would be stuck in the dungeon after summoning.

2.) When do you hand out level increases?
I was thinking that if the PC's complete a certain amount of rooms in the region they get an increase. Some rooms they may not even be able to get into.

Or I was thinking that halfway through they get an increase, and If they meet a certain goal in the region another increase. But this goal would prolly have to be laid out by an Archon. I'm not sure if each region has a "ending" or not. Example the region a has the destruction of the portal.

#2 DeTheGreat

DeTheGreat

Goblin

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSVille, Texas, USA

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

1. While most monsters can't "spend the valuable items, they still like hoarding it as often as not. Gems, coins, etc. can still possibly be used to buy their way out of trouble. The Gnolls in region C are a prime example, the dragon in C is another. As far as the entity goes, you're right, that can't happen. there are a few possible parts that could lead back to the surface for them to access shops. This would pretty much throw the plot out of the window, but it wouldn't be the first time a DM did that with a module. Also you can roll for many of the found items to see whether they're MW, magic, or normal if you feel the party is not properly equipped.

2. I award EP every time the party camps, so long as they have a reason to camp (the cleric/mage is out of spells. Everyone's hurt. They've cleared X number of rooms for example.) I make certain they don't abuse this by not telling them if I'm going to give them EP or not and forcing them to decide whether to camp or continue on their own. 95% of the time, if the can continue they decide to do so.

Hope that helps with your questions.

#3 Sacrath

Sacrath

Kobold

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationIrving, TX

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

When I ran it, the two casters were either divine (a cleric) or devout (a wizard that worshiped Boccob). Either way, they both took various magic-item creation feats. I allowed "sacrifices" to be made in order to enchant items, to account for where all the gold went during enchanting. Gold/gems/art then just became fuel for the enchanting fires. My players planed this with me before hand, but if you are already started, think about makeing some areas (like the enchanted forge in region A) that allow people to create items even without the prerequisit (sp) feats.

#4 Scorpion-Red

Scorpion-Red

Toad

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

I really like that idea of making areas a magic item creation spot. Where they can "burn" the money/gear/etc and create their own items without the feats. I think spellcasters will become the groups best friend then.

#5 Sacrath

Sacrath

Kobold

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationIrving, TX

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

If you are going in that direction you should probably consider letting anyone pay the XP cost for making the magic items so it takes it off the casters. Or allow items to be "bought" by paying full price in the sacrifice.

#6 Scorpion-Red

Scorpion-Red

Toad

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

I didn't even think about XP costs which would kinda suck. If you are not handing out Exp but only levels. I'll have to find a way to hand out Exp as well.

#7 Scorpion-Red

Scorpion-Red

Toad

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:13 AM

I figured is out. The PC's will get a key that is useable once per region, and only in a room where the "null field" is weakened. I will make these up in regions that don't have them. But the key will glow in these rooms, and creates a 2 way portal to a city.

As far as EXP goes I'm gonna hand out Exp in quarters throughout the region. When these quarters of Exp add up they will make it so that the PC's are a little above the level they should be for that region.

I was also thinking about making it so each region has a specific goal that needs accomplished. I was thinking that each region there would be a portal like in Region A that needed destroyed.

#8 DeTheGreat

DeTheGreat

Goblin

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSVille, Texas, USA

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:26 AM

As far as quests, there are several mini-quests that can be done in order to award bonus EP for item creations... killing the wererat in region A... joining any of the sides in region B... slaying the dragon in region C (or helping the gnolls)... the list goes on. Just do a little reading ahead of time and it's not a big deal.

#9 Sacrath

Sacrath

Kobold

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationIrving, TX

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

I would be careful about giving the PCs a two way portal at any time. Be prepared for them to use it to call for re-inforcements and the like.

#10 spamhog

spamhog

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

A two way portal seems a very bad idea.

For me while DMing WLD it seems like the players are meant to be low on items. IT makes the dungeon seem more urgent, deadly ect...

My players have solved this problem themselves because they have a half dragon in the party (heck I let anuything go in character creation) and he won't allow anyone to have it. hes picked up the dragons horde and because of the +8 to strength bonus hes not yet encumbered.

I like using raw gold for item creation costs. However I have come accross another method for item distribution. I have given the treasure as rule book except for a few strange and wonderful items of my own design.
In the Gnolls encampment (i think this is region C) I introduced a crazy but brilliant crafts man (gnoll) who would only make masterwork weapons and armor. At this stage the players can find quite a few masterwork items but was quite useless if none of the players could use it. so the gnoll would swap 1 masterwork item for another, thus making the treasures found more useful.

In anopther segment I invented a secret room with a wizard in it. he was old and feeble and still researching how to magic up some naked virgins. Though it seems he forgot what to do with them. He collects books and jewelry and the same swap like for like cost for cost could happen.
The swaps never allowed the players more golds worth of equipment than they got in the first place but it did mean that at least all the players would have a few items worth using.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge