#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Everyone likes getting something for free. Aside from herpes, I expect. Anyway, there are millions of articles, adventures, add-ons and RPGs out there available in full or sample form for free or very little, so let's gather a few recommendations - with links! - and share them here. Please add your views on whatever you're linking to, if appropriate, so that this doesn't become simply a big list of anonymous things to click. A couple of starters:

Delving Deeper

That link goes to a forum post on the Original D&D Discussion forum where you'll find links to the individual booklets, or an online hyperlinked version, of the Delving Deeper rules. Free of charge, but there's also a very cheap combined volume on Lulu, linked at the same place. DD is a Dungeons & Dragons retroclone based on only the very earliest publications, specifically Chainmail, Dungeons & Dragons and some material from The Strategic Review (you can read an excellent post here describing exactly what it is and how it compares to some other retroclones). It's been very rigourously compiled and edited, a really top-notch job, and represents one of the very best ways to try early style D&D without either spending a fortune or battling with the ambiguities of the original booklets.

delvingdeeper_zpsvubwd1rt.png     qags1st_zpsyjoe08l2.png

QAGS 1st Edition Publications

Hex Games have a very extensive catalogue of published material for the second edition of their generic QAGS system, including a free set of "Qik-Start Rules" (sic). Most of the books and PDFs are available for pretty reasonable prices and there's a ton of variety (Really, a ton: WWI flying aces who just happen to be gorillas, chimps, orangutans? Try Aces & Apes! A supplement based on Gilgamesh? Yup, they do that too), but of particular interest to this cheapskate thread is the selection of 1st Edition PDFs. Included is the original edition of the core rules, as well as a horror scenario, setting book, a couple of monster books and an equipment book called Stuff which I'm afraid is the only one I'd suggest not bothering with. I've been meaning to run the horror scenario, Terror at Camp Waka'Naka, for a while and might take it along to the UK Games Expo in a few weeks. At the bottom of the page is M-Force: they're still working on a new version, but this is a complete, free and enormous RPG of monster-hunting. Unlike the small pamphlets of the other first edition stuff, M-Force was a big perfect bound paperback running to several hundred pages. All of these 1st edition freebies have slight problems, primarily down to being fairly basic in terms of layout and presentation, but the material is solid (excellent, in some cases) and you can't beat the price. I'm impressed that Hex has put this stuff online instead of burying it the way many companies would.

Go on then, show me your linkies :D

#2 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

Swords & Wizardry, a neat retroclone.

Mutant Future, a neat retroclone set in the FUTURE! The kind of future with mutants and marauders in dune buggies. 

Into The Odd. Imagine if your ratcatchers, gong farmers and charcoal burners from Warhammer Fantasy go exploring a crashed UFO.

#3 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Mobile here so no pretty link, but otherwise all of Talislanta all free. Big thanks to Stephan Michael Sechi for putting Talislanta into the wild after 5 editions. It's all in the downloads area.

http://talislanta.com/?page_id=5

#4 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

Backswords and Bucklers! is now free to download from Lulu!

:duel:

The creaters of B&B (Tied to a Kite) have a number of free games avaliable on their site too!  I have not tried it so cannot speak for it's playability but Toilets and Toil sounds promising...

Check out their stuff!

#5 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:00 AM

From a friend of mine, Morgan:

I’m excited to release into the wild the full edition of my game of romance and reality TV, True Love Match. Yep, it’s The Bachelor: The Role-Playing Game.

You and some friends move between two rooms and pretend to go on dates with each other, and if it works right you all end up with nightmares. NO, I mean you all end up with FUN STORIES TO TELL yeah that’s it.

The game is also a demonstration of the power of interactive experiences, which is what this whole Taleturn thing I’m doing is about.

It’s free to download and released into Creative Commons too. If any of this sounds interesting to you, go grab it! Or spread the word to those who might be into it.

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

Some splendid suggestions so far. Who's next?

#7 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 446 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

Cubicle 7 have some free adventures on their site for Victoriana and the Laundry

http://www.cubicle7....les/#victoriana

Black Library used to have a great number of fan created WFRP 2nd Ed adventures on their site but they disappeared when FFG took over the licence. Luckily I managed to snaffle most of them first.

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

A few years ago West End Games re-emerged under new ownership with big plans for their D6 system, the rules underpinning games like Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. For various reasons things didn't work out as hoped, but before winding down the business, owner Eric Gibson opened up the system for other writers and put West End's core publications online as free PDFs. Here's a link to the core bundle, with several others being available at the same site.

d6%20space%20cover_zpsmadbjb2f.jpgd6%20adventure%20cover_zps2q5z9jpb.jpgd6%20fantasy%20cover_zpsy4266qas.jpg

Still a rock-solid system. The decision to split the game into three core books, each of which tailored the rules to a different genre, was probably a factor in this version failing to set the world alight (although it did let them make a nifty cover montage), but when you can get them for free the fact that some of the information is repeated is less galling :D

#9 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

The fossilbank has links to loads of free rpgs.

#10 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

The fossilbank has links to loads of free rpgs.

Which can you recommend? That's a lot of material for people to be clicking on blindly :) 

#11 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

Lasers & Feelings - A mini-game heavily inspired by old Star Trek.

Murderhobos - A humorous game about unpleasant people in subterranean locales

So Now You're A Time Traveller - A Cthulhu Dark hack about being a time traveller (In the vein of short stories like All You Zombies or Ripples in the Dirac Sea)

#12 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

No image for this one, as it's only a page long and doesn't have pictures...

Posturing & Pretensions, a free "meta-rpg" taking the piss out of a certain other range of games... More of an amusing pickup game than anything, but it does have charm. By Greg Porter.

#13 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 446 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

I would also mention the D&D 5th ed Basic Rules free in PDF

http://dnd.wizards.c...ures/basicrules

#14 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

How about some

One Page Dungeons

#15 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

Check resources at this page.

http://www.classicma...orever.com/cms/

All of TSR's FASERIP system. One of my favorites and the first game I bought off a shelf.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: free stuff, games, rpg, pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge