#1 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:32 AM

So Howard Tayler, author of the long running space opera webcomic Schlock Mercenary is writing an RPG with Alan Bahr. Planet Mercenary Kickstarter is up and running and has 20 days to go. If you are interested then there is an AMA on r/fantasy today with the authors. Fandible have managed to get a beta version and favorably reviewed it on their podcast. I'm posting this on my tablet and haven't managed to sort out links yet so you'll have to make use of the Google...

TLDR

Guns in space!

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:51 AM

If @Hal has time to get the gang together, and send an email to the game design crew, RPGMP3 might make a playtest session, too. :)

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

That would be great :-)

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Yeah - I need to send that email...

Let me see...

Hal :hal:

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:51 AM

Fandible have managed to get a beta version and favorably reviewed it on their podcast.

The Cult of Tea & Dice (in case you're wondering: yes, they're British) ;) have posted their own playtest AP session, as well.

Sounds like they were just as enthusiastic as Fandible about it. :) Incidentally, the Fandible gamers have posted two playtest sessions, by now:

#6 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

It sounds interesting but I decided to wait until it reaches retail. I've still got a few RPG kickstarters winging their way to me and I've decided to cut back slightly. I'm still awaiting my dead tree copy of HOTOE which has taken freakin for ever. I can easily appreciate that things slip. When they've met their goal with no trouble I think I can easily stand the wait. 

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

I went in on it - also reached out to them about playtesting - perhaps a nice one off. I am getting a very Paranoia / Floating Vagabond kind of a vibe...

#8 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

I went in on it - also reached out to them about playtesting - perhaps a nice one off. I am getting a very Paranoia / Floating Vagabond kind of a vibe...

Excellent news. Long time since I heard tell of floating vagabond. One of my favorites there. Looking forward to hearing what y'all do with it.

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

I went in on it - also reached out to them about playtesting - perhaps a nice one off.

Huzzah! :D I'm sure Nick would enjoy playing one of the homicidal space koalas Tausennigan Ob'Enn.

schlock20010503.png

#10 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

The Fandible Ob'enn voices are hilarious :)

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:47 AM

Howard Tayler & co. did an Ask Me Anything on reddit about three weeks ago; one of the questions asked was: "Where do you see the Schlock-verse in terms of science fiction hardness?"

I was looking for a food metaphor, like "Twinky with gravel in it" but all of them stopped sounding delicious and started sounding like broken teeth.

It is space opera with a few very clearly "soft" conceits (Teraport, Annie-Plants, Hypernet, PTUs, Dark Matter intelligence) and a large number of extrapolated and integrated "hard" elements (bullets hit things with measurable kinetic energy, things on our periodic table act the way they're supposed to, low frequency sound is omnidirectional, etc) that will enter into the story pretty regularly.

Oooh! Gelato with dark chocolate chunks and caramelized-roasted almonds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, schlock mercenary, howard tayler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge