39 replies to this topic

#21 Bullock Borneoake

Bullock Borneoake

Toad

• Contributors
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

Well, I'm wondering if you could take a place, like the Berry Center, and divide the rooms up into "genres".  For point of reference, PAX had one MASSIVE room with tons of tables of all sizes that were available for anything.  Check out a game, find an appropriately-sized table, sit down, play.  You could potentially set aside one room for RPGs and spread games over multiple tables.  Put enough distance between each table as to not have everyone drown each other out.  I could potentially see a layout of "rooms" covering:

> RPGs

> Miniatures (Warhammer, etc.)
> Family Table Top Games

> Card games (Magic, etc.)
> Beta Testing (Game designers could showcase their games and run demos)
> LARP, etc.  (One of the big hits at PAX was a pop-up group of people playing Johann Sebastian Joust, My son is in this video shot at PAX in January. It's a hell of a lot of fun.)

What's the thought on panels?  I wouldn't envision inviting celebrities and stuff, but would there be a desire to maybe have a few panels for say, gaming-related discussions like "How to DM", "How to Write a Campaign", "Podcasting 101".... you know, stuff like that.  You could set aside one room for that.

And heaven forbid I suggest actual live-play podcasting. :)

I'm trying to think of other venues that are more central and might accomodate.

#22 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

> LARP, etc.  (One of the big hits at PAX was a pop-up group of people playing Johann Sebastian Joust, My son is in this video shot at PAX in January. It's a hell of a lot of fun.)

Do you mean: this video?

I used to live off Louetta

Who's Louetta, and does Lindsay know that you've been fooling around with another woman? ;)

#23 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

I agree that small rooms are the ideal. I guess it doesn't have to be totally quiet for gaming to be occurring so a large well delineated hall might work pretty well.

I would think we would be better served with gaming industry folks than "celebs", at least initially for panels and the like.

And yes - panels concentrating on at art of gaming as well as writing systems, worldbuilding and all of that fun stuff :)

Hal :hal:

#24 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Also, you'd need to make sure that the location you pick has sufficient amenities and facilities for however many people attend the con.

#25 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

Funny - I saw that pic last week on Twitter :)

tumblr_no3u50pFwf1u8o78go1_250.jpg

Who the hell designs something like this and thinks it is OK? And who lets them build it?

At least there is only one entrance that I can see - I am surprised that we didn't add 3 more for symmetry :P

#26 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

And Monkey - what about the hoards of ladies that will be attending? How are they going to get in? :P

#27 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

And Monkey - what about the hoards of ladies that will be attending? How are they going to get in? :P

sticker,375x360.u2.png

#28 Bullock Borneoake

Bullock Borneoake

Toad

• Contributors
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

Funny - I saw that pic last week on Twitter :)

tumblr_no3u50pFwf1u8o78go1_250.jpg

Who the hell designs something like this and thinks it is OK? And who lets them build it?

At least there is only one entrance that I can see - I am surprised that we didn't add 3 more for symmetry :P

People who don't have to use urinals, apparently.

#29 Bullock Borneoake

Bullock Borneoake

Toad

• Contributors
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

I floated the idea across the rest of the Minions and the consensus was "more gaming = good".  Cameron (DM) loves OwlCon and hates Comicpalooza with respect to gaming, saying that both represent the two ends of the spectrum.  Something in between, leaning towards OwlCon is probably the sweet spot.  The Berry Center was actually met with a lot of affirmative nods saying that it could indeed fit the bill for a group of as small as 1,000 and as large as 10,000 and could be configured to work equally as well for either.

The other suggestion was a hotel near the airport.  Cameron's comment was "I know that doing something in the Greenspoint area immediately turns people off, but putting something near an airport increases the possibilities for travel for folks that might want to attend from outside the local area."  Plus, lots of hotels to choose from, but smaller venues and maybe not as friendly as one would like.

I'm still trying to figure out other options.

#30 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

The other suggestion was a hotel near the airport.  Cameron's comment was "I know that doing something in the Greenspoint area immediately turns people off, but putting something near an airport increases the possibilities for travel for folks that might want to attend from outside the local area."  Plus, lots of hotels to choose from, but smaller venues and maybe not as friendly as one would like.

Although some of the places near the Houston airport are very friendly. ;)

#31 Bullock Borneoake

Bullock Borneoake

Toad

• Contributors
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

True.  That is true. :)

#32 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

Ohhhhh - gaming con at a strip club - I think we have a winner.

Free lap dance for all GMs :)

Happy ending per crit... :D

#33 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hmmmmm - gaming con in a strip club? Themed dancers? Sounds like a winner - good work Monkey :P

I think getting a gaming con off the ground is going to be focus primarily on the local folks first - so I am not certain Greens(Guns)point is a great option :P

I have been to conferences that were in the GRB but only part of it and they all seem so very lonely so we would really need a venue that we could fill to make it feel busy while still having some space to grow a little bit... One thing with Houston is that we lack some of the cooler older venues that some cities have.

There are equivalents of the Berry Center in a few of the suburbs but I am still leaning a little to towards the city itself - even if it was in the Heights or Montrose or Midtown :)

Pffft - thought I posted this yesterday.... bah!

#34 Bullock Borneoake

Bullock Borneoake

Toad

• Contributors
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

Hmmm... so, central to the city... okay.  Lemme think.

#35 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

What about the Norris Conference Centers or Mays Business School at Houston CITYCENTRETM? Surely, it doesn't get much more central than that. ;)

#36 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

Houston is quite a big place :) And strangely the CityCenter is actually on the west side of the city on the second ring road :P Though it is a pretty decent place with bars and food and stores and hotels and it is pretty easy to get to... Hmmmm...

I will most likely be attending the Space City Comic Con in July. I know one of the folks running it and it is at NRG Center (which I have never been to).

Time to start doing more proactive nerd stuff :)

Met some interesting folks at Comicpalooza... was a pretty good con though I was exhausted when it was over. GRB is such a massive location...

#37 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:34 AM

#38 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hey @Hal - does the weather in your part of Texas look like this? :O

#39 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

It did on Halloween :)

A line of tornadoes passed pretty close to where we live and the rain was amazing...

#40 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

If Hal ever manages to get a Texan gaming con up and running, Randy Lander & co. from the Randy Plays Games podcast would probably appreciate an invitation, as well. (Granted, Round Rock, TX, is around 200 miles from Houston, but it's still neat that there's now at least three RPG Actual Play gaming podcasts from the state of Texas, alone.)

11358650_10153268183666047_1896732332_n.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge