#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

Righto folks, we live in an age - a gaming golden age, I've heard it called - where new products are practically fighting for our attention. Kickstarters, PDF releases, OSR, revisions, relaunches, Free RPG Day... you name it. Sometimes it's hard to spot and grab the good stuff, like fishing in a tidal wave.

Let's have some details about either the RPG (or supplement, adventure etc) you're waiting impatiently for, or else one you've just bought and which is now filling your head with an overwhelming desire to play it, with no thoughts for feeding the dog, talking to your spouse or remembering to put your trousers on. Don't just slap down a title, let's have the whys as well as the whats.

And just to be awkward, I'm not going first :D

#2 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

This Kickstarter opened today:

https://www.kickstar...le-playing-game

Schlock Mercenary is a web comic I have followed for years. I enjoy the setting and the humour and the art.

The game book will be an in-universe artifact so that will add fun from the setting which a standard game book might miss out on.

The humour is likely to be a solid bedrock throughout.

New artists will be working on the book within the comic's milieu and new art is absolutely one of the key addictions that drives my gaming purchases.

I haven't gotten ahold of a fresh sci fi system in some time and the designer stated that he plans to cover personal through capital ship engagement and I'm excited to see how he attempts it. Also the Kickstarter mentions a card deck and with BAG podcasts of TORG I'm interested in that mechanic all over again.

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:00 AM

This Kickstarter opened today:

https://www.kickstar...le-playing-game

Schlock Mercenary is a web comic I have followed for years. I enjoy the setting and the humour and the art.

Make sure you visit the Fandible gamers this weekend, then - they've managed to get a preview copy of Planet Mercenary, and permission to post a playtest AP podcast session. :)

PlanetMercenaryLogo2.png

#4 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Make sure you visit the Fandible gamers this weekend, then - they've managed to get a preview copy of Planet Mercenary, and permission to post a playtest AP podcast session. :)

Excellent. I'll be sure to grab it.

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:42 AM

Not only have the Fandible gamers posted their Planet Mercenary playtest session, they also got Alan Bahr (the designer and developer of the game) to comment on the episode. :)

#6 Sênstaku

Sênstaku

Kobold

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:16 AM

So, outside of our RPG campaigns but still related -

https://www.kickstar...ong/description

Shadowrun Hong Kong was funded with over $1 million, and I was one of the backers at the tier that gets free 5th edition digital toolkits, so I'm looking forward to receiving those.

In relation to RPG campaigns, we're starting a 5th edition campaign soon with my regular play group, and I'm playing a damaged Kolyarut Cleric (Using the Warforged race template) who has been stranded in a plane that hasn't yet developed past Bronze age technology, so he stands out like a sore thumb. He also has amnesia because one of these bronze-age civilizations found him and his battalion of Kolyarut that had come to punish an Oathbreaker obliterated at the site of a great battle, and jury-rigged him back together. Some of his parts were not his own originally, and he's running on some strange voodoo magic until he can get repaired.

#7 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

I am waiting for my hardcover version of Silent Legions, a horror game using some pretty elegant OSR rules (the same as Stars Without Number). It is an awesome game with a ton of tools for making your own alien horrors and sinister dimensions.

I've already made a bunch of monsters for the game.

Electronic Voice Phenomenon is the idea that voices appear in static on recordings and in white noise. Some believe that these voices are communications from the afterlife, from other planets, or just pure pareidolia and wishful thinking. The latter is certainly most often the case, but there are otherworldly entities which occasionally communicate with humans through the medium of static and field recordings. 

A tsaulglost is an immaterial demonic entity summoned by human longing and grief. They can only manifest as a voice, but have a jealous urge to experience corporeality. To that end the tsaulglost will impersonate whoever its hapless summoner hopes to hear. The tsaulglost is an alien entity, and barely manages to seem human, but its victims grief and expectations often do the work for it. 
In order to manifest in this world the tsaulglost will urge its victim to memorize a certain mantra and repeat it many times every day. The entity has no power to force the victim, but will explain that the mantra will enable it to manifest fully. This is true, but not in the way the victim expects.
The mantra will slowly mutate the victim, starting with his internal organs and metabolism. After the second day of repeating the alien words ten times each day, the victim will be a full carnivore. He will find all non-meat food repulsive, and will want his meat as rare and raw as societal norms will allow. The victim will gain 1d4 Madness each day he repeats the mantra as outlined above. The madness will take the form of a heightened awareness of sensory input, along with a feeling of strength and assertiveness.
After a week the victim's jaw will have strengthened, and the tsaulglost's alien thought patterns will begin to take over. At this point a PC victim is allowed a Mental Effect Save to shake off the tsaulglost's influence. The changes remain though, and the PC gains 1d6 Madness.
The tsaulglost-human is energetic and hungers after new experiences. It will read, taste, and fuck everything indiscriminately, and it needs lots of raw meat to fuel its rampage. It has no compunction about cannibalism. It can pass for human if the interaction is brief, but its ravening appetite and its sheer speed will ruin the illusion.
The final stage is horrible to watch. The tsaulglost warps the human physiology completely, becoming a creature with multiple limbs, eyes, mouths, genitalia etc. The end result is a horrid entity seemingly built from human body parts without rhyme or reason.

Tsaulglost-human
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 6
HD 4
 Bite Dam: 1d6 x2 + wpn
+Hit +4
Move 40'
ML 9
Skill 3
Mad. 1d4
Save 13+
Special The hybrid has uncanny reflexes, and always win initiative against humans.

The final stage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 5
HD 5
Appendage Dam: 1d6 x3
+Hit +5
Move 40'
ML 10 
Skill 2
Mad. 1d8
Save 12+
Special: The tsaulglost has uncanny reflexes, and always win initiative against humans.

#8 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

Mutant Chronicles, 3rd edition.

The sneaky fellows over at Modiphius ended the Kickstarter over a year ago and have slowly been releasing pdfs of chapters every month or so. I could be irritated at them for taking my money and making me wait so long for a product but I have emotional connections to this game.

MC was one of the first rpgs I played back in secondary school as I transitioned from GW wargames. I have fond memories of spending lunch breaks staring at splat books and imagining the fantastic visions of 'Mid-West America' Mars and 'Brazilian rainforest' Venus.

Happy days.

#9 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

The sneaky fellows over at Modiphius ended the Kickstarter over a year ago... I could be irritated at them for taking my money and making me wait so long for a product ...

*looks at Deluxe Tunnels and Trolls Kickstarter*

*sighs*

#10 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

*looks at Deluxe Tunnels and Trolls Kickstarter*

*sighs*

I'd just bought 7th ed of TnT when they announced the Kickstarter, so couldn't face getting another copy.

I often find myself watching Kickstarters develop, hope they get funded and then consider buying the product at some point down the line when they become available generally. It seems less stressful.

#11 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:15 AM

How different are those editions from each other?

#12 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

I don't know. As I said I haven't really looked into the Deluxe edition. The Kickstarter page or BJB might be able to tell you more, when he gets his copy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge