7 replies to this topic

#1 cjdavis103

cjdavis103

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

hey guys been a fan for some time and I kinda wanted to try my hand at rpgs. only problem is I don't know anyone else who has or wants to play . so if I could get some advice I would love to learn

thanks for your time

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hey there,

Welcome to the site - perhaps you could cast around here and see if you can find a remote GM with a space. Or depending on where you live you might be able to find someone locally or even a local game store...

Easiest way to start is to play something :)

Hal :hal:

#3 cjdavis103

cjdavis103

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

thanks I will look into it !

#4 cjdavis103

cjdavis103

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

sorry for the dumb question but where would I look?

#5 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

Where to look? As far as a person-to-person game, your odds are probably better in an urban area. You have several options, really. Far more than we old-timers had back in the day. 

1. Local game store, comic store, geek cultural center. The best would probably be wherever you'd go to buy supplies for your game - books, dice, etc. Maybe skip hanging out in the fantasy/sci-fi section of Barnes & Noble, but you get the gist. Talk to the store owner and see if they know of any groups that might be open to a new member. See if they have an email list, facebook page or a bulletin board you can post on.

2. Web resources - I've had success with Meetup.com but that is probably because I'm close to a major city. Try it, stretch your comfort zone and meet new people, but be safe too.

3. College social/interest groups - If you're in or near a college, (your profile indicates you're around that age) look for group notices on social media, club lists or bulletin boards on campus. There's bound to be at least one group where you can meet people with, if not exactly what you're looking for, at least similar interests - sci-fi, fantasy or gaming club, comic book collectors, SCA or military history enthusiasts, etc.

You're probably going to have to put some effort into it, but when you finally find the right group for you, it will have been worth it.

As far as finding a remote group here, I see you've already posted. Best of luck.

#6 cjdavis103

cjdavis103

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

thanks for the advice

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:04 AM

Welcome to the site! :)

@Lockhart has mentioned that he wanted to run a game for people on the site, but it might never have gotten started, and it seems to have been reserved as a special bonus offer for (paying) Patrons.

#8 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

Roll20 has a specific section of their site for people looking for others to join their online games as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge