File Submitter: BigJackBrass

File Submitted: 22 Mar 2015

File Category: Squadron UK

Genre: Super Hero
Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

Squadron UK 06: Careless Wispa

Posted Image

Chocs away!

Legendary hero Dynamo has been found, wired to the grid with a cable up his leotard, but that doesn't mean that the team has wrapped up the mystery. Or, indeed, solved anything at all. Facing a suspicious robot and still needing to defuse the ticking time-bomb of Throwback's futuristic nanites, our heroes have only seconds to leap to action. The perfect time, then, to start arguing with one another...

Clamber into your cape and join the Whartson Hall Aethernauts for a superlative session of crimefighting calamities!

Squadron UK is written and published by Simon Burley and is available in PDF and printed formats.

Intro and outro musical excerpts are by that most splendid gentleman Professor Elemental, used with his kind permission.The Whartson Hall Aethernauts play through the Google+ Hangouts facility rather than face-to-face in a room. Despite our best efforts, listeners may find some reduction in sound quality as a result. Look, it's not my fault, blame him, my plan was much better than this but would they listen? Of course not...

The Players:
Riddles (Mark): The redoubtable Referee!
Amelia: Dr. Katie Jones, aka the fan-favourite PHOTON!
Jon: Matt Blank, aka the edifying EVERYMAN!
Nick: Mike Masters, aka the pulchritudinous POE! (allegedly)

Click here to download this file

#2 RogerBW

RogerBW

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:39 AM

Poe is seen here using his famous Confusion Attack.

#3 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

Mostly on the rest of the team.

#4 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:37 AM

Ah, this was the my running the game with the notes on a different machine episode!

Possibly, you can't tell the difference... :)

#5 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

Aie! I'm falling behind. Thanks for all the recordings. :)

#6 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Poe's powers continue to amaze and leave others dumbstruck!
Favorite quote: "You could drop the phrase 'army of robots' and still be correct"
Obvious joke but excellently executed and wonderfully received.

#7 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

Obvious joke...

Very much our stock in trade.

#8 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Very much our stock in trade.

I think you mean 'what we utter is our only stock and store', Jon

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:12 AM

I think you mean 'what we utter is our only stock and store', Jon

Remember the golden rule: "Do unto udders as you would have them do unto you."

milkprotest_1495997c.jpg

#10 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

The truly super heroics in this episode is the patience with that the others have with Poe and his "quips". (Sorry Nick).

#11 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

Very enjoyable session.

I've played mostly champions for super heroic rpg games and I was very amused that Photon actually "glowed at a problem". That's been a regular term for an inexplicable super science or variable power pool solution in our group.

They Live is an excellent source of inspiration. I'm looking forward to an alien invasion. I'm also expecting Poe's criminal relations to be Piranhas. Spiny Norman may be searching for Poe even now.

#12 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:49 AM

Dinsdale!

#13 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

I really must catch up with Tim and sort out what happened to him...

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

It's rather ironic to hear BJB constantly belittling Nick for playing a silly superhero character with a poorly thought-out background story, when BJB himself is playing a character with the laziest, most unoriginal origin story ever - amnesia. ;)

You know what? I think Nick fulfills the same role in the Whartsie 'Nauts that Ross does in the BAGgies: he's the most enthusiastic player, who's always making a lot of effort to make the game fun for everyone (although rarely succeeding). The rest of the group, especially BJB (who's kinda the equivalent of Fin, in a way), use him as a target for snark and sarcastic remarks, trying to undermine all his work by poking fun at everything he does and says, whether it's warranted or not.

Fair enough, if Nick (and Ross, in the BAGgies) is willing to put up with a bit of good-natured endless ribbing - and he hasn't left the group yet, so that's some indication that he's okay with it, at least - then the rest of us can certainly sit back and enjoy the comedic banter. Still, it would be neat to hear an episode where BJB didn't poke fun at Nick... actually, more realistically, let's say: BJB only poked fun at Nick once every 15 minutes. He probably couldn't go an entire hour or more without venting his spleen. ;) Instead, BJB could try supporting Nick's ridiculous ideas and see if it might be just as fun to let the silliness escalate, as it is to snipe at every suggestion that's like "I'm turning into a bicycle, just like Edgar Allan Poe always did!" :)

Maybe you could play Toon, or Paranoia? BJB could pretend that he was only being supportive and totally-not-sarcastic towards Nick's Alpha Complex character as a means to lull him into a false sense of security, before betraying him to a secret society or Friend Computer.

#15 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

If you mean by enthusiastic "Most likely to say Cockmuncher", I would agree that Nick is your man!  :P 

However, unless we DO play Paranoia or Toon, the silliness level is fine thank you very much! You don't have to GM them...

And both BJB and Nick have far more back story than has been revealed on audio, I can assure you! :)

#16 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

I'd just like to say at this juncture that BJB is one of my closest and dearest friends, and our banter feeds off each other. You wouldn't get one without the other, so, y'know, please just enjoy it and don't worry about our sensibilites. We don't have any :)

#17 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

I'd just like to say something involving the words "lawn aerator," but I'm being very restrained and walking away now.

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

Inspiration for the Squadron's next adversaries, perhaps? ;)

9jqio2.png

#19 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

"There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion. Even with the utterly lost, to whom life and death are equally jests, there are matters of which no jest can be made. The whole company, indeed, seemed now deeply to feel that in the costume and bearing of the stranger neither wit nor propriety existed."

Edgar Allan Poe - The Masque of the Red Death

#20 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:11 AM

Fingers crossed that Poe will eventually face his worst nemesis, the supervillain Rufuswilmotgriswoldman. ;)

raptorific: Rufus Wilmot Griswold is one of the most successful character assassins of all time. Because of him, schoolchildren are taught that Poe was a depraved misanthropic lecher who lusted after his underage cousin, was never sober, and died of drinking too much even though all of those “facts” have been discredited. Poe was a shy and reserved, though generally personable, man who married his cousin so to establish legal guardianship and provide for her financially.

raptorific: He was also apparently a total lightweight who got tipsy after a few sips of wine, but occasionally drank socially or when feeling particularly down. His doctor insisted there were never traces of opium in his system. Poe’s friends insisted that he was not an alcoholic. At the time of his death, he had quit drinking, and the idea that he was one was heavily promoted by other members of the Temperance movement who claimed his death was a relapse as a cautionary tale. The most commonly accepted theory as to Poe’s death is that he was abducted, drugged, and beaten by political agents who forced him to vote for their candidate, changed his clothes, and then forced him to vote again and again to stuff the ballots.

cameoappearance: That last bit seemed exceedingly peculiar to me and I had difficulty believing it, so I looked it up, and apparently it’s not the most commonly accepted theory at the moment, but it is a legit possibility and a thing that actually happened in the 19th century often enough to be given a name. It was plausible enough for quite a few of his biographers across several decades to agree on that theory, at least. So that’s a thing.

tariqk: There’s another theory that I saw that attributed Poe’s symptoms and death as possibly coming from rabies. Didn’t know the rest of the historical context, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge