• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

There's a shiny new free download available from Wizards: the Elemental Evil Player's Companion as a 25 page pdf, allowing players to become both elemental and evil! ;)

You can now pick exciting new (old) races like Aarakocras - @Nick T. Vegan will probably want to play one of these, if only so he can pronounce it with a "cock" in it - Svirfneblins, Goliaths, and four flavors of Genasi.

There are also new spells, such as Skywrite, that will let your Bard become... well, a skywriter. Respectable career choice, all round. :P Oh, and it also includes such beloved classics as Melf's Minute Meteors, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm and Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting.

Header_PotA_Players.jpg

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Is this the beginning of the bloat for 5e I wonder? New races and spells abound :)

Still getting the adventure however :P I am really liking 5e from a DM perspective...

Hal :hal:

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

If they're planning on "converting" even a fraction of their archive of spells, monsters, races, classes, doohickeys and whatnots from previous editions, that's quite a bit of bloat, without adding any truly new material to the game.

#4 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

"Aarakocra" sounds rather close to failed automobile executive Lee "Iacocca"....

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:08 AM

On a related note, has anyone participated in the Elemental Evil campaign's Creature Competition, or the "Design your own Elemental-flavored magic trinket" contest?

#6 Sênstaku

Sênstaku

Kobold

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

So, I'm really loving all the free downloads they're doing for players - really makes it easy to keep up to date on all the information available, without having to buy a half-dozen books. 

In addition to this, they recently released an article talking about customizing classes and creating entirely new options, and demonstrated it by showing us how to make a Spellcasting-less Ranger, and creating an entirly new option for the Sorcerer class - the Favored Soul - which I quite liked. Technically you could also count that as a Mystic Theurge, though with a far more limited spell range.

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

I saw the article on customizing classes - I suspect it is the prelude to the inevitable splat books :)

Ooooh - huge clicky sig buttons that take me to Twitch things :) We looked at Twitch for a quick minute for our online games but it seemed spendy and complicated...

Hal :hal:

#8 Sênstaku

Sênstaku

Kobold

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

I'm looking forward to the splat books, I've been really enjoying 5th edition. I've created some 22 character sheets on Myth Weavers just because I enjoy the character creation process so much, and have way too many character ideas.

As to Twitch, it can be, but the only thing I spend anything on is my Xplit subscription, and that's only because I use the professional grade software not the free version. There's plenty of ways to do it for free.

I'm bad at coming up with clever things to put in my signature, so shameless self-promotion seemed a good route to go.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d&d 5e, elemental evil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge