#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

Haven't really discussed this or even mentioned it to @Hal, but here's an idea I've been considering, something to involve all of the groups and perhaps encourage some new participants.

What about the groups each recording a one-off or short arc using an OSR-style game? That's "Old School Renaissance," the loose term for games very closely inspired by, or even copies of, the first editions of Dungeons & Dragons and similar RPGs. The resulting audio, instead of being put in with the rest of the groups' games, would go into a collected area so that people could easily dip in and try listening to a new game without looking through the different parts of the site and finding out who has recorded what. It might even persuade people to try out other audio from a group they've previously missed.

One reason for suggesting OSR games is that many are free to download and use. Sometimes the full game, sometimes a version without art (as is the case with Labyrinth Lord, where the fancy version costs money but the one without art is free). That makes them easy to try without investing a lot into something you may never play again. More often than not they are also relatively simple and, if you're used to D&D, probably quite familiar.

There's also loads of variety, in addition to the ten thousand D&D clones... Whartson Hall once played Backswords & Bucklers which uses the Swords & Wizardry rules in an Elizabethan setting, or you can try something like Encounter Critical. A bit of searching will turn up all sorts of options as well as a ton of adventures. Even so, by having everyone pick an "old school" game it gives the project a bit of coherence.

So, what do you think? Any takers?

#2 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

Could I just run a game using 1st edition Purple Box?

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

*looks at gaming shelf* Does Castles & Crusades count as OSR?

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:04 AM

Actual old games you might own - D&D, Bunnies & Burrows, GDW Traveller, Metamorphosis Alpha and so on - would fit perfectly well. As I said, the main reasons I thought OSR games would be a good idea are an overall theme and the fact that so many of them are free, but if you already have a game then great.

Castles & Crusades raises one tiny issue, namely what an OSR game is. Anything published, say, 1982 or before probably counts. Modern games built on an older framework, as with the various D&D clones, certainly count, but C&C is a modern game using modern rules. Some people include it under the OSR banner, others don't. Personal discretion, maybe: I'm not really looking to impose strict rules on this idea.

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

If anyone would like to join in, please leave a reply to this thread, including the name of your group and the game you're thinking of playing, so we can get an idea of numbers and what's looking popular.

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

@Daniel and his Pants Campers would probably love to do this, unless they're too busy with their regular OSR campaign. ;)

#7 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

I would love to play if anyone is looking to fill out their roster :)

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Recruit! Why not start a thread asking for players and set up a group for this project?

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

I'm game for a one off or short arc with the group if they are game to give it a shot...

Will have to have a dig about and see what systems might be appropriate :)

Hal :hal:

#10 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

Here's a site listing a large number of OSR games, retroclones and the like. They do include Castles & Crusades, but on the other hand they also include things like Pathfinder... Nobody can decide on a definition, so don't worry about it. What I think we should aim for is either an older game (definitely something from prior to 3rd edition D&D and the D20 boom) or a modern RPG deliberately designed in the style of an old game. Free or paid, doesn't matter. Let's rustle up something fun and light.

#11 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

I'm not sure I could run a 3rd Ed Shadowrun game anymore...

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

Here's a site listing a large number of OSR games, retroclones and the like.

Hmm, let's take a look at that list...

6248937.png

Bandits & Basilisks is a very rules-light clone of OD&D. Its bestiary features only two creatures, the eponymous bandit and basilisk.

That's rather hilarious. :D Imagine a version of D&D where the Monster Manual only featured stats for dragons and dungeons - or possibly gazebos. ;)

7518952.png

Small But Vicious Dog is an RPG based on BD&D and Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play with a mean-spirited design philosophy.

All the other WFRP-ish goodness - drugs, diseases, insanity, mutation, gunpowder, chaotic magic, dorfs with mohawks, hot pies, giant angry puffins and so forth - is in there. Heck, I've even included rules to model that special WFRP "gods hate you; failure is law!" atmosphere.

Now that sounds promising. :)

#13 ThistledownJohn

ThistledownJohn

Ghoul

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationBonne Terre, MO USA

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

We broke out the Moldvay Basic Set and took at run at Keep on the Borderlands a few months back.  I'll check to see if i kept the audio.

Also...I'll think about doing a Runequest 2nd edition or possibly a Villains and Vigilantes.  :)

#14 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Ooh, RuneQuest 2, I still have a lot of old material from then.  I just wish I still had a gaming group....

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

We broke out the Moldvay Basic Set and took at run at Keep on the Borderlands a few months back.  I'll check to see if i kept the audio.

So it's not the same as the episodes you've already uploaded, then?

*Checks the post*

Lacking enough players for our usual game, we dusted off Mentzer Basic D&D, and played the legendary module, B2 - Keep on the Borderlands

Oh, right - those sessions were played with Mentzer, not Moldvay. (True OSR connoisseurs, you are.) :)

#16 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

That's rather hilarious. :D Imagine a version of D&D where the Monster Manual only featured stats for dragons and dungeons - or possibly gazebos. ;)

Gazebos don't need stats. They just kill

#17 ThistledownJohn

ThistledownJohn

Ghoul

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationBonne Terre, MO USA

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

So it's not the same as the episodes you've already uploaded, then?

*Checks the post*

Oh, right - those sessions were played with Mentzer, not Moldvay. (True OSR connoisseurs, you are.) :)

It appears I'm becoming senile.  :O

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:49 AM

Hey @Lockhart, did you ever get around to play with some patrons? If not, this might be a good opportunity. :)

It appears I'm becoming senile. :O

Don't worry - GMs, much like dragons, only become more lethal with old age. ;)

"And now I'll roll to see how much damage the monsters inflict on you guys."
"Wait, you've already rolled for damage this round!"
"Did I?"
"Yeah, twice!"
"And you forgot to give us XP at the end of last session."
"I'm sorry, what? I didn't hear what you were saying."
"What, is your hearing failing, as well?"
"Nope - your feeble whining was just drowned out by this maximum damage I just rolled."
*Players groaning*

#19 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

Whereabouts do you happen to live in the world and what times can you play?

#20 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

Whereabouts do you happen to live in the world and what times can you play?

I live between the hot air of incompetence and the jangling discord of darker days... aka Virginia USA. My schedule is wonky though so I'm not alwyas tied to regular waking hours. As for days, the later half of the week works well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge