#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

I love the Wheel of Time books - they are awesome good fantasy and there are lots of them. I fact I am reading Eye of the World to Lindsay at the moment.

It was interesting that I spotted that there appeared to have been a TV pilot aired on US TV this morning at about 1.30.

It seems that it is an attempt by a company who was about to lose the rights to retain the rights.

Wertzone has the full story, or as full as it appears to be at the moment.

I would love to see WoT as a TV series or a bunch of movies. It is good old fashioned high fantasy but it seems it might just drown in a load of lawyers and fighting due to the company that has don't nothing with the rights since prior to Robert Jordan's death wanting to cling on in case they can get some cash out of it.

Fingers are firmly crossed.

Hal :hal:

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Bought the first book when it came out. Loved it.

Bought the second. Great stuff. Blimey, I thought, it's going to be a rush to wrap this all up in the final volume of the trilogy though.

Bought the third book. Not a trilogy.

Bought the fourth book. Starting to feel increasingly padded and stretched out.

Bought the fifth book. Decided to wait for the author to finish the series before reading many more, as I couldn't see where the hell he was going with it. Fairly convinced he couldn't either.

Time passed. Many more books published. Author died without finishing the series, but at least was able to arrange for someone to complete it according to his plans. By this time, my interest in the books had faded, I'm afraid, so I never bothered picking them up again.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

I liked them - I think they have good fantasy tropes and such and would work pretty well on TV. I mean there was a Legend of the Seeker TV show for heavens sake - why can't we have some good fantasy? :P

#4 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

I had that with Game of Thrones.  The amount of times between books let me forget about the series enough I decided to wait for it to be finished before going back to reading them

#5 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

Before GoT on HBO I would've thought WoT couldn't work on film. Now I think it might. I'll need to remember to watch this when I get home.

#6 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Wasn't too fond of Ishmael's acting or voice there but it wasn't too bad for a pilot I watched on youtube. Mind you it wasn't too good either.

#7 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

Would the first half of the 1st series be boring drivel like the 1st book...

(how the 1st person who read this got past the first 100 pages of the book, without someone saying "it gets better, honest!", I have no idea!)

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Better than the Sword of sodding Shannara, at least.

#9 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

Yes, but when we read Sword of Shananaanananaananananananananana ding dong, there were only about 5 fantasy books available in  the UK, other than LoTR

#10 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

Hmm. I keep on thinking I should go back to the Sword of Shannara as I can remember enjoying it many years ago but whenever I've looked at it I've failed. 

The mantle for WoT passing to Brandon Sanderson introduced me to his work and I've definitely enjoyed a number of his books. He creates interesting worlds.

#11 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Would the first half of the 1st series be boring drivel like the 1st book...

(how the 1st person who read this got past the first 100 pages of the book, without someone saying "it gets better, honest!", I have no idea!)

Honestly, I thought the first book is one of the best of the series, my opinion is very similar to BigJackBrass in the quality decline.

#12 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

Not enough skirt smoothing in that pilot.

#13 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

@Lockhart, don't get me wrong, I loved the book after the 1st 100-150 pages or so, but found the first bit turgid beyond belief.

And to be fair, I think I stopped after about book 5 or 6 I think - really liked the overall story, but started to strongly dislike what was happening to some of the secondary characters.

#14 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

I agree that there is quite a lot of set up and wandering around in the farming community and introducing characters before they all get attacked and stabbed by Trollocs :)

I also like how Trollocs rhymes with bollocks - it makes me chuckle on the inside :)

#15 Manzcar

Manzcar

Stirge

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:31 PM

I have gone through the entire series and enjoyed it very much.  A TV series would seem to take a very long time to complete.  The whole story has so many characters and countries involved it becomes almost daunting just to keep them straight, but I loved it.  But not sure this hack of a group would do it any justice.  They should sell out now and give it to a company that could actually produce it correctly.

Now I must reread it or maybe get the books on tape versions. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge