#1 Harper101

Harper101

Raven

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNottingham (UK)

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hello all,

I have been a lurker for many years (started listening while the Warlords of the Acordlands was still being played)

But thought I should register and say hello and say thank you to all the awesome games that have been posted here. (Much fun has been had listening to many games on here).

On a more "selfish" note I am wanting to get into playing/running a game (vtt or real table top) if possible with others in the UK. I have some experience with 3.5 and Pathfinder but up for anything!

I go by Harper (though Nick is my real name).

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

Welcome out of the lurker-filled shadows! Don't worry, the light only burns for a little while :)

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:47 AM

Greetings Harper101! Lovely to hear from a lurker :)
Regarding your query, I don't think we have a players directory on this site. Perhaps you could start a thread to recruit for a game in your area.

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hey there, and welcome out of the shadows! Remember to comment on the audio you've enjoyed, that makes the contributors very happy.

Spoiler

Re: Looking for a gaming group - you might want to try the /r/LFG (Looking For Group) subreddit, either making a new post, browsing the existing ones, or checking the links in their sidebar. (Look for the headers "Useful Websites" and "Related Subreddits".)

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hello decloaking lurker :)

Welcome to the light...

You could also ignore Monkey's idea of going to Reddit and start and thread on here and see if you can get an online game together. We are nicer than all those Reddit people anyway :P

Hal :hal:

#6 Harper101

Harper101

Raven

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the welcome all.

Think I may well start a new post on here! (Or maybe see if the fine Internet Explorers need an extra player as they are in the UK)

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

Think I may well start a new post on here! (Or maybe see if the fine Internet Explorers need an extra player as they are in the UK)

Yo @Tulty - you've got fresh meat for the grinder an eager new recruit! :)

You could also try asking @Daniel from the Pants Campers, or @Balgin - they're based in the UK, as well.

Oh, and @ross from the BAGgies have been looking for a new gaming group, too - he's tired of being bullied all the time, and hopes to find new people to get bullied by play with. :)

#8 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hello all,

I have been a lurker for many years (started listening while the Warlords of the Acordlands was still being played)

But thought I should register and say hello and say thank you to all the awesome games that have been posted here. (Much fun has been had listening to many games on here).

On a more "selfish" note I am wanting to get into playing/running a game (vtt or real table top) if possible with others in the UK. I have some experience with 3.5 and Pathfinder but up for anything!

I go by Harper (though Nick is my real name).

I'll send you a PM sometime soon.

#9 Harper101

Harper101

Raven

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

I have a question.. I'm aiming this at Hal as he is the site owner.. but if there is anyone else who could answer please let me know.

My question is... I am not in a position to donate to the site on a monthly basis, but can make a one off donation. Is there a way that I can make the one off donation but get the patron shinnies (for the amount of time equal to my donation)?

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

You could, presumably, sign up to be a Patron, quickly download all the secret special Patron goodness, and then unsubscribe afterwards. Theoretically, you would only have to pay for one month's worth of Patronage, since I'm pretty sure @Hal doesn't require Patrons to sign a Faustian contract with a Blood Quill, pawning away their immortal souls and all fiscal resources in perpetuity - although I may be mistaken. ;)

EDIT: Found this post by Hal, which seems to indicate that the idea is viable:

OK! So if you want to become a Patron you can do so by purchasing the Patron Subscriber item from the Store. This will set up a recurring payment via Paypal of $5 / month until you choose to cancel it via your account page.

When you make the chase you will be upgraded to Patron status. If you want a custom subtitle rather than the post count-linked ones then drop me an email and I will get that set up for you :)

Being a Patron allows you to see the Patron only forum area (both new site and the old one that is in the Archives). It allows you to download the Patron Only audio files. And Store items such as Labor of Love are free to download. Also, the site ads will no longer display for you.

For donations - it should just be a matter of clicking the button and following the process through to allow Paypal to process the request and then it will show up on the monthly site meter.

#11 Harper101

Harper101

Raven

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for that.

Shame it uses Paypal though... the account I had associated with my email address has been de-activated because it was set up by a ner-do-well several years ago. 

One of these days I may trust Paypal enough to set up an account but not any time soon ;(

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

I guess I could set up a one month subscription in the Store :)

Leave it with me and I'll see if I can get it done in the next couple of days.

Wil still be in Paypal though - you could just not log in and pay with a card - I think thats possible.

#13 Harper101

Harper101

Raven

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

I think you are correct Hal, I think Paypal allows you to pay with a card. 

If your able to put it in the store and Paypal plays ball I'll be getting a subscription as soon as I can.  :)

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

Hey @Hal, have you considered making some of the Patron-exclusive audio available for purchase, like the Labour of Love pdf? That way, people who only want some of the Patron audio (say, the last half-score of Rolemaster episodes, or the BAGgies playing Red Box D&D, or the Whartson Hall AD&D or Feng Shui campaigns, or the Tomb of Haggemoth featuring the Yorkton Gamers) can get the ones they want, without having to pay for a running subscription.

#15 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

It was something I considered - what do we think? Would it be something that people might like?

My main concern is that it may result in a decline of Patronage (which is all that actually keeps us online at the moment) but I think the Patrons pay subs because they love the site rather than just want the content... :)

I always viewed Patron content as a reward rather than a good that was purchased :)

#16 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

Maybe it's time to think of some additional perks and benefits for Patronage, much like the layered tiers of bonus swag that people can get from donating to Kickstarters or Patreons.

For example, the Fandible gamers record two types of podcasts: they have their regular weekly actual play episodes, and in addition to that, they have the Geeky Topics, Round Table podcast. GTRT is a panel discussion, where the players sit around and talk about pretty much anything. One of the benefits they offer to their Patreon supporters (which, in Fandible parlance, are also known as "pervy kobolds", because of ...reasons), is that the people who've subscribed to the Patreon can send the gaming group questions that they'd like to have answered. These questions are then brought up during the podcast, and discussed at length.

If you ever get around to resurrecting Geek-A-Saurus (and with the number of other site contributors available for online discussions via Skype and G+ Hangouts, it should be fairly easy to gather up a regular group of GMs and players for such debates), you could consider doing the same. Of course, people already have the opportunity to ask the contributors questions through the forums, but having the topics discussed on a podcast seems special, somehow.

Of course, another podcast industry standard bonus is the whole "if you donate, you get to listen to the episodes a couple of days early, and gain access to super-secret bonus episodes", which has already been tested here on RPGMP3 for years. ;)

EDIT: After browsing the interwebs to see what incentives other gaming groups offer their Patreon subscribers, here are some suggestions that might work as new bonus features for Patrons. (Some of them probably wouldn't work with the way the site is designed, and some of them require a bit of extra work, but at least a few of them show decent potential.)

• Patr(e)on exclusives: gain access to raw recordings, lost episodes, out-takes, live-stream videos, early releases.
  • Get access to updated character sheets and in-game notes after each session.
  • Free merchandise, e.g. t-shirts.
  • Get mentioned on a "Patr(e)on supporter page" - possibly being allowed to post a link to your own website.
  • Patr(e)on supporters get mentioned on the podcast.
  • Be able to advertise on the site for free.
  • Get to name/create an NPC.
  • Get the opportunity to corroborate with the players on creating PCs (bare-bones ideas or fully-fledged characters).
  • Suggest topics for a Geek-A-Saurus-style discussion podcast.
  • Live access to the gaming sessions via roll20.net, so you can provide commentary on the action.
  • Get to spend, say, 30 minutes per recording session just talking to Hal & Co.
  • Be invited to participate in an actual game, either a one-shot game, or as a minor single-shot character in an ongoing campaign.

Because+you+re+worth+it....+Hopefully+no

#17 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Good suggestions Mr Monkey.

We have talked about a Patron Hot Seat before... and I quite like the idea.

I am hoping things will lighten up time-wise when I finish my course in the Summer and I can focus more on getting things like that going. And perhaps GAS does need a resurrection on the new site. The time may be close at hand :)

#18 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

Those perks could get me to rePatron. Course once I get a little more in my pocket I shall probably rePatron anyway. It feels good to support a site I get such a plethora of awesome entertainment from.

Ps Seems your message box is full Hal.

#19 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

Those perks could get me to rePatron. Course once I get a little more in my pocket I shall probably rePatron anyway. It feels good to support a site I get such a plethora of awesome entertainment from.
Ps Seems your message box is full Hal.

I could be wrong, but if you're set up for patronage I believe you need to be the one to disable the paypal subscription.

#20 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

I could be wrong, but if you're set up for patronage I believe you need to be the one to disable the paypal subscription.

I remembered I have email addresses I could use and moved the issue to that imstead of on the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge