#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Thanks to the magic of Twitter I heard about a new Kickstarter today called Legacy, Super-Hero Role-Playing in the United Kingdom. It's a setting and adventure book for Squadron UK, a game we've played in the past at the Hall, building on the material originally written for Games Workshop's Golden Heroes. Since GW threatened the author of Golden Heroes with legal action over the first edition of Squadron UK he released a second edition with a revised system; and if you look closely you'll find the names of some Whartson Hall players in the credits to that revised version, mostly spelled correctly. 

What particularly caught my eye about this project is that it will include a version of The Lancelot Caper, the legendary unpublished Golden Heroes adventure. Looks to have lots of content and they have permission to use much of the original art. The goal is a modest and surely achievable £1,000. Few stretch goals, and they don't particularly interest me, but the pledge levels are fairly priced for the material being offered. Definitely worth looking at if you enjoyed Golden Heroes or like the idea of a British heroes sourcebook.

#2 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

Interesting... I played Squadron UK at The UK Games Expo last year, in a game ran by the author I think.
It was plenty of fun and we got free Squadron UK badges too!
Unfortunately the name sounds too much like a far right nationalist youth movement for me to actually wear one in public...

#3 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:38 AM

I didn't get a badge :(

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:28 AM

Since GW threatened the author of Golden Heroes with legal action over the first edition of Squadron UK he released a second edition with a revised system; and if you look closely you'll find the names of some Whartson Hall players in the credits to that revised version, mostly spelled correctly.

Including "Jon Hanthingy"? ;)

#5 kevinrolfe

kevinrolfe

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

GOLDEN HEROES IS BACK
Well almost, the Scenarios have been turned into a surcebook. which includes the unpublished "LANCELOT CAPER"

https://www.kickstar...e-united-kingdo

A Superhero sourcebook for the United Kingdom. Based on the scenarios of THE British Superhero game of the mid 80’s.

Back in the day, there was a superhero RPG published in the UK. It was originally an A5 printed booklet, then a box set with two supplements, a couple of boxes of lead figures, some articles and scenarios in a certain gaming magazines. Its name is own by a third party so cannot be mentioned, let’s just say some of the Heroes were Golden

Well that was 30 years ago, and we still have a soft spot for the original game. Which is where Legacy comes in. [Redacted]* was a superhero game set in the UK, what Legacy does is, to take those original scenarios and articles, update and expand on them and create a coherent universe, where the UK is the predominated place for superheroes.

These are the old scenarios used to create a universe for British Heroes.

Crossfire (an Alien Exchange) Legacy of Eagles
Queen Victoria and the Holy Grail
The Lancelot Caper (unpublished)
STRIKEBACK
American Dream
Reunion
Peking Duck
Pilcomayo Project
Contagion, Coincidence & Confusion

The goal for this project is get enough money to pay for proofreading and editing. Nothing too ambitious. Nice and simple.

This is Legacy, a sourcebook for roleplaying superheroes on the streets on the streets of the UK. The book which currently stands at 140 pages will have background material on why some people are superpowered and other aren’t, it will have details of various Villains old and new, there is an origin scenario which is an update of the Pilcomayo Project.

The book will also contain: stuff on Time Travel, parallel dimensions, the source of both magic and superpowers, there is a chapter America, the EAGLES (from Legacy of EAGLES), a vast array of background information , The book also includes a century of Heroes, a year by year almanac of heroes since 1900. And details of the Official British superhero teams since 1899. Including the Queens own Shadow V.
All in all, it is everything you might need to run a superhero adventure in the United Kingdom.

This Sceptered Isle has called. Its time to talc up the spandex and get pledging:

#6 kevinrolfe

kevinrolfe

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:01 AM

A secret snippet from the Lancelot Caper

[REDACTED]'S PLAN
Project Lancelot is a joint operation between the StarTech Corporation and DICE, The giant electronics
multinational is develpoing a radically new form of combat armour, the microcircuity of which actually
interfaces with the nervous system of the wearer. StarTech originally offered the new armour to the US
Government, but they declined to purchase it thanks to the influence of a powerful religious lobby close to
the President, who felt that the techniques used were 'an attempt to improve upon Gods's Creation', and
therefore blasphemous.

Unwilliing to let such a potentially profitable project drop, StarTech offered the armour to DICE, who have
agreed to assit in the field testing of the armour in return for the price being dropped to a level they could
afford. This arrangement came as a great relief to Technon, who got out of haveing to be wired up to the
armour himself. StarTech's technicians are a little nervous of the effects that the armour may have on the
wearer as several monkeys were killed by it in preliminary testing but they are fairly comfident that they
have ironed out the faults and can only be sure by testing the armour on a human wearer in battle
conditions.

[REDACTED] has used [REDACTED] influence in government circles to learn of the existence of Project Lancelot.
She had originally intended to simply steal the plans and sell them, but recently she has discovered that a
cargo of nuclear warheads is abou to be shipped from a goverment-owned factory ta a navel base.
Fortuitous circumstances have enabled her to come up with a plan to steal the armour, use it to steal the
warheads, and blame the whole thing on a group of innocent superheroes. The warheads are to be sold
to [REDACTED] [REDACTED], a [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED]

#7 kevinrolfe

kevinrolfe

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:23 AM

This is the draft of issue 1 of the Origins Scenario included in the book

This is from the first part of the included scenario

Issue 1: Machu Picchu

The PC’s begin as normal humans with no super powers, (That comes later). The adventure opens with the PC having leaped from the edge of Machu Picchu, they are in mid-air, Before they can do anything run a flashback with the group on the coach having just flowing into Mexico, have them introduce each other, and introduce the two NPCs. Both of whom were hired just for this job.

Each PC received an Email telling them they had one a Trip of a life time, an Adventure Holiday to South America. The email came from Adventure Holidays, saving you’d won a once in a life time excusive trip to South America. If seemed legit, at least this time it was not trying to get you to send money to the Nigerian General, again, (who never returns to your calls?). It had an address and a date to go pick up the tickets. “Collect your tickets on [insert your chosen start date], from Adventure Holidays Room 801 Metropol Hotel London.”

What could possibly go wrong..

Anyone can view this update and all backers will be notified.

#8 kitch66uk

kitch66uk

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

Thanks BigJackBrass for mentioning this kickstarter I'd not seen it.  I GM'd a G.H. campaign back in the day and am really looking forward to seeing all the old scenarios back in print.

#9 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

Thanks BigJackBrass for mentioning this kickstarter I'd not seen it.  I GM'd a G.H. campaign back in the day and am really looking forward to seeing all the old scenarios back in print.

No problem. As far as I can tell this is not a case of reprinting the originals exactly as there seems to have been some rewriting and updating, but regardless I'm keen to see the end result. Whartson Hall will be playing (and probably recording) a Midlands based Squadron UK game run by @riddles after Christmas.

#10 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'll look forward to hearing that. I should really run it too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: squadron uk, golden heroes, superheroes, kickstarter, legacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge