Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hey,

I haven't eaten yet today because I have been too busy at work so this may or may not be a good idea to post :P I blame low blood sugar...

8 Reasons D&D 5th Edition is Better Than Pathfinder

Discuss!

Hal :hal:

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm sorry, no self-respecting geek can possibly read that without exploding the moment they reach "3. Less Magic Items."

Fewer. Fewer Magic Items ;)

#3 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

This smacks of someone telling me how to enjoy my games. Also this should be called, 'Why D&D 5th is not the same game as Pathfinder'. D&D 5th being more like classic D&D than Pathfinder doesn't make it better! :)

#4 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'm sorry, no self-respecting geek can possibly read that without exploding the moment they reach "3. Less Magic Items."

Ironically I'd say that's probably one of the most positive ones on the list. Most of the others aren't 'though.

#5 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

This smacks of someone telling me how to enjoy my games. Also this should be called, 'Why D&D 5th is not the same game as Pathfinder'. D&D 5th being more like classic D&D than Pathfinder doesn't make it better! :)

Agreed. Different doesn't mean better. It means different. It's another kind of experience.

#6 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

Unless he meant "items with less magic in them".

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:48 AM

In some ways, a lot of the points made in the article seem to agree with the arguments that @BigJackBrass has raised several times, i.e. that 5E is a more simplified set of rules and does away with a lot of the cumbersome endless lists of optional races/classes/feats/whatever that you need to take before you're allowed to do anything cool.

TL;DR - D&D 5E is a more streamlined and minimalistic game than Pathfinder, and if you enjoy coming up with cool stuff on your own, it's probably a better choice for you.

Unless he meant "items with less magic in them".

Maybe they forgot to put an apostrophe in there, and were actually advertising "Les's Magic Items". ;)

The question is: who the heck is Les (Lesley?), and why are their magic items so good?

#8 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:22 AM

I hadn't thought of it like that, Monkey, that's a good point! I really need to play it before I can make any sort of comparison.

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

Nah, making snap judgements is way more fun. :)

#10 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:04 AM

Interesting read. I definitely agree with the Archetypes issue. It seems so odd to me that you have to swap out a core component of a class to do something new and nifty. And why does almost every Rogue archetype make you swap out trapfinding?! I think the article should be titled "D&D 5 is not  Patfhinder and this is why you should play" however. Most of the points don't ring as better in my mind, just different. And different can be good... when you aren't pointing at it and shunning it and yelling 'Outsider!'

#11 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 447 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

Nah, making snap judgements is way more fun. :)

Yup. It allows for the rage to clear up those pesky arteries. 

On a more serious note I think the different, not better, approach is the correct one. For me I think that 5e is a preferable fit but I have spent lots of time playing 3.5.

#12 Prophet

Prophet

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

Personally, as I have played with the beta rules for 5th, i'll say that it is better than 4E.  That being said, so is a moldering pile of shit.  The 8 reasons that were given in the topic are 8 reasons not to play as well. 

1 3E is old...True but so is the whole of D&D.  It is something that many systems are based upon and molded around.  The core of role playing is more important that the edition is and longevity is a plus in my book.

2 Better archtypes ... depending on the campaign world I disagree.  In an Ustalav campaign, I doubt that there are better archtypes in the 5E system as they haven't re-released any ravenloft material.  The campaign world in Pathfinder feels more complete, more solid.

3 Less Magic Items....suck.  The main draw is the new shiney, shiney.  It is a goal that players can more towards or to compliment their skill set.  a +2 longsword is cool but a +1 Keen longsword is more flavorful.  Why play with bland items?

4 less exponential growth...can be a bonus but it seems like you gain less as you level.  No one wants to gain their new level and just gain HP.  Also a 1st level fighter with a +5 weapons shouldn't have a prayer of hitting a dragon (unless a crit). 

5 More classic feel....yes it feels more like the red box edition of D&D and some parts like AD&D.  If thats your thing  the rules and plethora of modules for those editions still are around in electronic format. 

6 Inspiration .  This goes back to the story teller and how well he narrates the saga he unfolds.  No one system can be said they are the best if they have a shitty GM... Even a story driven campagin set in Tolkiens Middle-earth could suck ass if the GM dosen't steer the PC's into developing the PC's "lives". 

7 Backgrounds...well...I dislike most systems use of this save one system : a Social Status system.  I have one taken from another RPG that makes more sense for a fedual system and is less complicated. 

8 Better races...this depends on the DM/campaign. Period.  if it seems like an all Drow party then allow them to do so.  When I run we have an extensive list of races that modify the XP table based on how powerful they are (ex. CR 0 is fast, CR +1 to +2 is medium, CR +3 is slow). 

In short the system isn't any better nor worse that Pathfinder, it's just different.  To me it feels like D&D for dummies, old school feel with a new glossy paint job.  The main thing is it's not 4E (may it burn in Hell) and they seem to follow the games workshop marketing design : every 5 years release a new edition and invalidate the old edition. 

My mini rant is done...

#13 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

Ooooh - good points all :D

The more I play 5e, the more I am liking it. From a DM perspective I think it gives more control back to the story and less to the dice and player optimization. It all falls down to horses for courses in the end I guess. I really like the fact that the players in the Phandelver game are still quite challenged by things and I suspect they will be right up to 20th level. In 3.5 and Pathfinder you can almost tell statistically how a fight is going to go before you start :P

I was reading the Advanced Class Guide for Pathfinder over the weekend and it seemed to be swimming the feats that were likely unnecessary. Guess 5e is burrowing into my head :) I would like to run Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat but I think I might need to get a table game going for that...

#14 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

I've started playing a 5e game with Will and a couple of other people. In-person game FTW! It's acquitting itself very well. I was a little cautious in trying it out, but it seems simpler, more elegant and also a lot more lethal; we lost a character in our first session!

#15 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

I like lethal. At least in 5e making a character takes minutes and not days like in Rolemaster :P

#16 TFSakon

TFSakon

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

I does seem as though the better is based on the idea of returning to OD&D which I never played so can't consider that. or those who don't think they've improved over the years which listening to many people seems to be the case I think they're hitting true with the feel of the game. Obviously I don't think anyone would explicitly say that any deviation from pathfinder is better that's a little harsh. I definitely get the vibe that they are succeeding in their stated intentions of returning to their roots. I think it warrants respect to come close to delivering what you've promised. That said the very idea of better is related to the general desires of the audience. If they've accurately predicted the general trend of the community and catered for that I'd say they've done well. From an objective point of view no RPG is 'better' really is it? Personally I love the idea RM for its intricacies however I have difficulty with the reality of those intricacies when on the table. Maybe when I'm paired with a supercomputer that can do all the calculations, or maybe when Atlantis returns and explains how we can unlock the rest of our brains I can live my dream.

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

I would like to run Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat but I think I might need to get a table game going for that...

See this comment in another thread. :)

[...] maybe when Atlantis returns and explains how we can unlock the rest of our brains I can live my dream.

You collect brains? :O Sounds like a rather... unusual hobby, but each to his own. :P Did you accidentally lock yourself out of your brain collection storage room in the basement, then? ;) Perhaps the really interesting question is: do you keep them locked up to protect them from being stolen, or to protect people from the wrath of the captive brains?

#18 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

I liked Pathfinder when it first came out, but the number of books and supplements for it now make like 3.5 in the bad old days (I'll take 2 levels of this, 3 of that, so I can get this and...)

5th Seems OK. Not played it, but some of the concepts are good. I suspect rules bloat will happen to this too though...

#19 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:01 PM

I liked Pathfinder when it first came out, but the number of books and supplements for it now make like 3.5 in the bad old days (I'll take 2 levels of this, 3 of that, so I can get this and...)

Honestly, while that may happen in the deep end of optimization game, my practical experience and the general balance of the pathfinder system tends towards investment in a single class. A lot of the options released, archtypes, the new classes that are essentially built-in multiclass, tend to support this philosophy to allow you to play a full class but also have degrees of seperation and specialization without needing to be X Prestige class or have a combination of different classes (ala 3.5), and the general idea is that abilities gained at higher levels from investment are more powerful that abilities gained from lower level dips (and the favoured class rules) encourage long-term class investment. If anything, the class that lends itself the most to simple dip investment would be the Fighter, which has been around since core.

#20 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

I've just realised that I don't think I've played Pathfinder. I've only GM'd it.

Once, F2F with my local group - great fun, lasted nearly 2 years.

Once on Roll20 with the Wharties. Didn't finish the 1st adventure... <I assumed everyone knew the rules as well as I did - big mistake!>

Not played 5ed, and probably won't for the foreseeable future (playing Star Wars F2F, Squadron UK/FF/etc with the Wharties).

I wish both systems well though - the hobby went through a pretty good renaissance when 3.5 was around, and it would be nice if  they could trigger that again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge