5 replies to this topic

#1 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:05 AM

I was wondering what people's thoughts on kickstarters and pdf add ons are? I've backed a few rpg kickstarters and I am wondering if I am being unreasonable in wanting to get extra items such as stretch goals as pdf included in a tier or added for a small fee $5(ish). This is what has happened with items such as HOTOE, Achtung Cthulhu and FATE. My reason for thinking this is that they wouldn't have been able to produce them without people ponying the money up for the initial product.

In the current Paranoia kickstarter you can get the pdfs of all the stretch goals for the £18 pledge but you don't get them for the £30 pledge unless you have bought the physical item. To me this just seems slightly off.  

Don't get me wrong I know that the Achtung Cthulhu was astonishing value (I am enjoying getting a new pdf to peruse every few months and will be sorry when it ends).

Just wondering what the view of other people is and whether I'm being unreasonable?

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:03 AM

The ones I've backed have, I think, all built on the lower levels as you pledge more, so the level above PDF gets you a physical copy and a PDF. Seems entirely reasonable to me, especially since you can buy some products in a store and download the PDF version at no extra cost. I can't see why PDF versions of everything would be an issue for many RPG Kickstarters.

#3 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:49 AM

I'm being very careful what I say about the current Paranoia kickstarter as Mongoose publishing owe me a refund and I've been kept waiting by the lying buggers for about two years now.

That aside, pdf add ons are an interesting subject. The people making the product will probably need to create them anyway if they're going to be printing physical copies. Sure it'd take them some time (and in business terms, time is money) and effort to distribute pdfs to backers but a lot less than it would to send the physical stuff.

If it's a later stretch goal with an add on then I respectfully don't pledge for an add on before it's unlocked. They needed that much money just to be able to start asking for money for this extra product so I'd wait for it to unlock before paying for it. Otherwise it's almost like stealing from them. If it's a free add on that's getting unlocked as a stretch goal then there's no shady moral quandary about it whatsoever.

As Big Jack Brass says, often pdfs are included in later tiers anyway so it's not a major issue.

#4 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the swift responses. I do find kickstarters very tempting but I also tend to view any release dates as very optimistic. (HOTOE being a prime example). On the whole though I do think that kickstarter has been a boon for the RPG industry. I've definitely come across items that I would have struggled to find in the past. I do worry that it may harm shops as the books are bought before they hit the shelves. I have no idea about the percentages that are there in the market.

If I don't get a kickstarter I will try and use my FLGS unless it is solely for a PDF product. I am a great fan of Bits and Mortar getting the PDF the same time I buy the book in the FLGS. I just regret that I found out about it a bit late for some of my earlier purchases. I've been able to rectify this with some Bundles of Holding but I am disappointed that I don't have the PDFs for some of my Laundry books.

#5 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

Ah they seem to have had a lot of people asking the questions as they have added them to the all the levels from Yellow on up now.

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

Ah they seem to have had a lot of people asking the questions as they have added them to the all the levels from Yellow on up now.

Sensible. The way people read and use RPGs is changing and companies need to adjust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge