• Create Account
Photo

Spotted at Fighting Fantasy Fest: Fighting Fantasy miniatures by Pure Evil Miniatures

miniatures

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:41 AM

Just a handful of photographs that I snapped at Fighting Fantasy Fest. These should be going to kickstarter some time in 2015 (hopefully the earlier end of the year).

The figures themselves will be produced in high quality resin. Ian Livingstone has insisted quality over quantity. So we can expect premium resin prices (which is fair enough if they're going to look this good). They are being produced by Pure Evil Miniatures & the sculptor takes great pride in pointing out that he's made all the bubbles and lumps on the bloodbeast match the original artwork exactly down to the last detail :).

Toprowthetheshapechangerbloodbeastandliz

Top row: the Shapechanger from Forest of Doom, the Bloodbeast from Deathtrap Dungeon and the Lizard King from Island of the Lizard King complete with his "black lion".

BottomrowthebrainflayercreatureofhavocZa

Bottom row: The Brainflayer from Caverns of the Snow Witch (it's different to a  mindflayer due to having a differtn number of fingers and twice as many tentacles), the Creature of Havoc from Creature of Havoc, Zagor the Warlock of Firetop Mountain (from at least four of the gamebooks) and Zanbar Bone from City of Thieves.

Hope you folks like the pictures. The bottom shelf on the cabinet contained some of Pure Evil Miniatures in house range which you can find pictures of on their site so I didn't take any pictures of them :).

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

Very nice! Thank you for sharing the photos. :)

They are being produced by Pure Evil Miniatures & the sculptor takes great pride in pointing out that he's made all the bubbles and lumps on the bloodbeast match the original artwork exactly down to the last detail :).

Now there's a great line to break the ice at parties: "I'm very meticulous about my boils." :P

Lizard King from Island of the Lizard King complete with his "black lion".

Is his "crown" detachable, so you can attach the mind-controlling critter... err, beautiful piece of regalia, to the head of another mini? :)

Bottom row: The Brainflayer from Caverns of the Snow Witch

Any chance of a miniature of the Snow Witch, herself, do you think? Or at least a crystal ball with her vampiric visage inside it?

#3 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:08 AM

Is his "crown" detachable, so you can attach the mind-controlling critter... err, beautiful piece of regalia, to the head of another mini? :)

You mean the Gonchong? I avoided noting it in the description to avoid spoilers :P. You know, I didn't ask if it was separate or not. The Lizard King is massive 'though. About two normal miniatures tall. I suspect the Gonchong is separate but might not all be in one piece.

Any chance of a miniature of the Snow Witch, herself, do you think? Or at least a crystal ball with her vampiric visage inside it? 

Shareela the Snow Witch is a great character (and sadly undeveloped). Interestingly she keeps getting new art. It's almost as fi she has an identity crisis and keeps needing to reinvent herself while the other iconic villains are much more secure about their body image :). The original fur clad woman with the short blonde hair and the nose ring got replaced with a sultry raven haired temptress who's mane flowed about her shoulders. She also wore a very tight fitting sleeveless scarlet dress beneath her fur mantle (which was now lacking it's distinctive hood and headband).

Recently she gained new art (as depicted on the back cover of You Are the Hero, the new "history of Fighting Fantasy books" book - a very good read by the way). It was similar to her second incarnation but more stylised. I would be very interested in seeing a Shareela miniature at some point in the future but Kickstarter's a big gamble and 7 miniatures will be hard enough to fund without asking for more.

At FFF Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone asked the audience to shout out suggestions for miniatures they would like to see. The diminutive Jib Jib was quite popular but has been officially ruled out due to how tiny it would be. That and it's so simply it wouldn't feel right in a range of high quality sculpts with lots of details since it's basically a tribble on legs.

I suggested Throm the Barbarian from Deathtrap Dungeon although I'd quite like a Shareela miniature too. Especially if it could be based on her original art.

Some French company (with a name like the libram or something like that) have been translating the Advanced Fighting Fantasy game from Arion Games into french with a more cartoony art style. They've produced a Yaztromo miniature that's quite faithful. He's even got the raven/crow sitting on top of his staff.  A good sculpt but not up to the Pure Evil Miniatures level. But it was Gereth Yaztromo so I had to have him. I'll see about taking a photo some time later.

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

You mean the Gonchong? I avoided noting it in the description to avoid spoilers :P.

Well, anyone's who's read this far probably already knows about, and is a fan of, the Fighting Fantasy books, so: disaster avoided. ;)

Shareela the Snow Witch is a great character (and sadly undeveloped). Interestingly she keeps getting new art. It's almost as fi she has an identity crisis and keeps needing to reinvent herself while the other iconic villains are much more secure about their body image :).

Sure, that sounds like the most plausible explanation. It's not like the publishers would keep changing her appearance to increase her fan service factor and make her more cleava(ge)licious or anything. ;)

The original fur clad woman with the short blonde hair and the nose ring

SO COOL

The diminutive Jib Jib was quite popular but has been officially ruled out due to how tiny it would be. That and it's so simply it wouldn't feel right in a range of high quality sculpts with lots of details since it's basically a tribble on legs.

They could make a 1:1 scale model? :) Or perhaps a plushie?

They've produced a Yaztromo miniature that's quite faithful. He's even got the raven/crow sitting on top of his staff. A good sculpt but not up to the Pure Evil Miniatures level. But it was Gereth Yaztromo so I had to have him. I'll see about taking a photo some time later.

Yeah, the only photo they seem to have published shows an unfinished version, lacking the hands:

index.php.jpeg

#5 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yep. That's the Yaztromo miniature I got. He's a two part model. The right hand is included. Think it might be holding a bag foll of wands and scrolls or something. I'll have to check.

His left holds the staff with the bird on top. It's warped slightly (bent in at the bottom) so I'll have to boil the kettle, soak, heat bend it straight again before assembling him. I've put off taking any pictures 'til I've got his staff in servicable condition.

SO COOL

Pun intended? Either way, I agree. I once came upon an interesting piece of fan art on the internet showing her displaying a variety of moods (including giving a rather surprised looking adventurer a peck on the cheek). Saved on my hard disc somewhere... Don't know where you'd find that picture now 'though.

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:59 AM

You mean the Gonchong? I avoided noting it in the description to avoid spoilers :P. You know, I didn't ask if it was separate or not. The Lizard King is massive 'though. About two normal miniatures tall. I suspect the Gonchong is separate but might not all be in one piece.

Some of the worst nightmares of my youth came after reading The Island of the Lizard King... 

That thing doing it's things to my head!!!  :O

Great minis though!  I will have to update my collection of AFF books ...

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:52 AM

Some of the worst nightmares of my youth came after reading The Island of the Lizard King... 

That thing doing it's things to my head!!!  :O

A side benefit would be that you would be much less likely to be attacked by mind flayers - they wouldn't want to eat a brain that had been Gonchong'ed, for much the same reason that W.C. Fields refused to drink water. ;)

#8 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

A side benefit would be that you would be much less likely to be attacked by mind flayers - they wouldn't want to eat a brain that had been Gonchong'ed, for much the same reason that W.C. Fields refused to drink water. ;)

If l remember my Out of the Pit correctly the Gonchong gave some pretty sweet stat bonuses (+2 SKILL and +4 STAMINA?) at the mere cost of your ability to take independent action.

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:32 AM

If l remember my Out of the Pit correctly the Gonchong gave some pretty sweet stat bonuses (+2 SKILL and +4 STAMINA?) at the mere cost of your ability to take independent action.

Whoa! That's like marriage, but it conveys stat bonuses - even better! ;)

#10 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for these. I hadn't noticed them til today. I might have to have a look out for some old FF books. I played all the ones that were in the school library but didn't have any of my own. It might be the right time to look into getting one or two. I got one as a present for a friend a couple of years ago and it was well received.  I think so many people have positive memories of these. 

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for these. I hadn't noticed them til today. I might have to have a look out for some old FF books. I played all the ones that were in the school library but didn't have any of my own. It might be the right time to look into getting one or two. I got one as a present for a friend a couple of years ago and it was well received.  I think so many people have positive memories of these. 

Worth looking at the app versions if you have an Android or iOS 'phone or tablet. Very nicely done.

#12 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Worth looking at the app versions if you have an Android or iOS 'phone or tablet. Very nicely done.

I'm reluctant to try the app versions. I doubt it will be the same - how will I mark multiple pages with my fingers to keep my options open when choosing between dungeon corridors?

;)

#13 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'm reluctant to try the app versions. I doubt it will be the same - how will I mark multiple pages with my fingers to keep my options open when choosing between dungeon corridors?

;)

Oh, that's easy: use several 'phones...

#14 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

Oh, that's easy: use several 'phones...

BJB, always one step ahead...

#15 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

App versions aside, I did meet the Inkle chaps at Fighting Fantasy fest and asked if their adaptation of Sorcery will be translated into a pc friendly version. They informed me that "up until a meeting we had yesterday the answer would have been different but now let's just say we're considering it."

The Appointment with Fear adaptation (the superhero fighting fantasy book) is up on steam. I believe Forest of Doom will be ehaded for steam next. Tin Man Games (who were also at Fighting Fantasy Fest) are asking for playtesters. I should probably contact them as it was my favourite book and I know it virtually inside out.

#16 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Oh, that's easy: use several 'phones.

;)

Actually they've thought of that too. The Tin Man Games adaptations use a bookmark system which allows you to mark pages you'd like to return to. Interestingly you get a limited number of bookmarks so you really need to choose when you want to use them. At the beginning of a playthrough you'll select a difficulty setting which won't affect anything other than the amount of bookmarks you can use. I think the easiest one is "unlimited bookmarks" :).

#17 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

Nice. That's a good design feature

#18 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

App versions aside, I did meet the Inkle chaps at Fighting Fantasy fest and asked if their adaptation of Sorcery will be translated into a pc friendly version. They informed me that "up until a meeting we had yesterday the answer would have been different but now let's just say we're considering it."

The Appointment with Fear adaptation (the superhero fighting fantasy book) is up on steam. I believe Forest of Doom will be ehaded for steam next. Tin Man Games (who were also at Fighting Fantasy Fest) are asking for playtesters. I should probably contact them as it was my favourite book and I know it virtually inside out.

I never got around to playing the Sorcery series so will keep an eye out for them. Tin Man Games are local to me in Melbourne and so I should probably support them and buy all their lovely games...

#19 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Wait, what? The Fighting Fantasy books and Tunnels & Trolls were published in special Japanese manga-fied editions?

tumblr_n6jpraAJ2i1qdioqdo6_400.jpg

tumblr_n6jpraAJ2i1qdioqdo1_400.jpg

#20 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

T&T was really big in Japan for several years, long after it had faded in the US and well before the current slight revival.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miniatures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge