17 replies to this topic

#1 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

I recently started watching your webcasts on Lost Mine of Phandelver.  With your guys review of how it played I actually got D and D 5th edition.  I haven't owned a D and D edition since 2nd.  I think the last RPG I have ever bought was Champions 3rd edition.  Needless to say I even enjoyed your adventure enough to sign up here.  :D

I am hoping to start a Campaign here shortly in my area.  I am a very good at improvising.  Needless to say I am hoping to be on here more.  I am just starting session 4 on you tube.  Thanks to your playing I was able to get a lot of questions answered so KUDOS to you.  Keep up the good work and keep playing.  =)

Manchine

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

Welcome to the site! :) Hopefully, you'll stick around and comment - @Hal would probably love it if you posted in some of the forum threads for the Phandelver episodes, there's a bit of discussion going on there. Also, since you've already answered most of the questions from the #RPGaDay thread, you might as well answer the rest, while you're at it, even though the event is technically over. ;) Oh, and once you get your campaign up and running, drop by and let us know how it's going; there's a forum section for personal projects where you could start a topic about it. Hal would no doubt love to compare notes. :)

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Hey there :)

Nice to have you aboard and glad the recordings are helping to get back to DnD :)

I am finding 5 to be much more of a return to the early days but it seems to be playable using a number of different approaches which seems to allow you to find the ideal balance for your group. We tried without the battlemat and it did not seem to work for the play style of the players so we switched back. That being said there are a couple of encounters coming up that purposefully don't have maps to encourage narrative combat :)

Thanks for the feedback - it is always great to get new site members :) There are a lot of other recordings over in the Downloads section (mostly audio) that might also serve as inspiration :)

Hal :hal:

#4 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

Welcome aboard Manchine

#5 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hey there :)

Nice to have you aboard and glad the recordings are helping to get back to DnD :)

I am finding 5 to be much more of a return to the early days but it seems to be playable using a number of different approaches which seems to allow you to find the ideal balance for your group. We tried without the battlemat and it did not seem to work for the play style of the players so we switched back. That being said there are a couple of encounters coming up that purposefully don't have maps to encourage narrative combat :)

Thanks for the feedback - it is always great to get new site members :) There are a lot of other recordings over in the Downloads section (mostly audio) that might also serve as inspiration :)

I noticed how much maps help out.  I am actually gonna use my Decent pieces for maps.

The Campaign

I have a plan everyone wakes up on a pirate ship. WELCOME your all been shanghide and now will be Pirates.  There are 6 people in the room (only 5 people playing). Has everyone come out and stand on one side of the ship. with 25 some pirates (no weapons they are locked away right now). Main pirate comes down. You have 2 choices join us or get off my ship. First guy that is a NPC says He will never be a pirate. Captain takes out a Crossbow and kills him one shot and he goes over the side. Of course everyone after this joins. :laugh:

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Sherry and biscuits for our new friend! 

jeeves-smiley.gif

#7 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

I believe Sherry has the day off, and biscuits is at the groomers.

#8 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

The Campaign
I have a plan everyone wakes up on a pirate ship. WELCOME your all been shanghide and now will be Pirates.  There are 6 people in the room (only 5 people playing). Has everyone come out and stand on one side of the ship. with 25 some pirates (no weapons they are locked away right now). Main pirate comes down. You have 2 choices join us or get off my ship. First guy that is a NPC says He will never be a pirate. Captain takes out a Crossbow and kills him one shot and he goes over the side. Of course everyone after this joins. :laugh:

Check out the OOTAK gamers' Skull & Shackles play-through, they've got plenty of experience with that kind of scenario. ;)

#9 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

Check out the OOTAK gamers' Skull & Shackles play-through, they've got plenty of experience with that kind of scenario. ;)

I will take a listen to that.

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

Lets not forget the amazing and superb Pirates of the Spanish Main by Whartson Hall. 

Still has my favourite intro of any on the site. :)

#11 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

Lets not forget the amazing and superb Pirates of the Spanish Main by Whartson Hall. 

Still has my favourite intro of any on the site. :)

Is that not a Pathfinder or D and D?

#12 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

Is that not a Pathfinder or D and D?

Pirates of the Spanish Main used the Savage Worlds system, and boasted one of the best intros ever :)  Well worth a listen. 

There are other great pirate games on the site too, BAG People and Out of the BAG also ran Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds game too.

#13 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:22 AM

Pirates of the Spanish Main used the Savage Worlds system, and boasted one of the best intros ever :)  Well worth a listen. 

There are other great pirate games on the site too, BAG People and Out of the BAG also ran Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds game too.

I am finally up to #6 on Mines.  As soon as I am caught up with them I will be listening to others.  =)

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:17 AM

The Campaign

By the way, are you planning on starting your campaign next Friday, on International Talk Like A Pirate Day? :)

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

We use Descent, Descent 2nd Ed and HeroQuest pieces in our IRL games.  They come in extremely useful.

#16 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

We use Descent, Descent 2nd Ed and HeroQuest pieces in our IRL games.  They come in extremely useful.

I am glad I am not the only one who thought of decent. 

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Have you ever heard about the piratical RPG Poison'd? If you're interested in indie RPGs, it might tickle your fancy.

There's even been made some actual play podcast episodes of the game, although sadly not on RPGMP3 dot com. ;)

#18 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:06 AM

Vincent Bacon has some pretty awesome games :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge