#1 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

ootaklogoanim.gif

Latest update from the OOTAK blog:

For those of you following along at home, yes, the Ootak site has lain fallow for some time now. That is not to say, however, that we haven’t been gaming. We have. We have even managed to record every session. And we do have many sessions already waiting to be edited and prettied up and put up here. However, due to some data loss of my artwork and much needed time off for our beleaguered sound editor, things here on the site haven’t been stirred up in a while.

I cannot promise that there will be updates any time soon. I can’t even be sure we will ever get around to those recordings waiting. But we are making new ones and hopefully someone will pick up the editing job to get us a little caught up and hopefully I’ll feel like and get time to do more art (and maybe even recover what was lost). We continue to play Deadlands. We also have games of Mutants & Masterminds, a Better Angels playtest (that we hope we will be allowed to make public) and we are just beginning a Mage (modified oWoD) Chronicle. Things are in motion.

I say this not to prompt you to stay tuned, not to ask you to check back every week, but to give you hope. We will come back around. It might not be soon, it might be in a different format, even the Ootak membership might be different, but we will be back.

W00t! Looking forward to hearing your M&Ms and WoDs, and hoping that you're allowed to post your Better Angels playtest. :) Judging by the description of the game, it sounds like a very interesting spin on the classic superheroes vs. supervillains trope, with a neat explanation for the villains' seeming ineptitude and why they would keep coming up with egomanic over-the-top schemes and plans for world domination.

#2 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

But I don't want to go to trade school!

#3 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

The plot resistance begins and we haven't even completed the character gen yet.

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:23 AM

CAM00705.jpg

Todd’s New Gaming Cave

Yep, it’s coming together!

A work in progress, but progress nonetheless. Two of OOTAK’s finest are pictured here… ssshhhh… don’t tell them!!

It is coming along. Big changes up for this week, more to come. Just wait until I unpack my paints and brushes. :D

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

Ooh, look! :) @Twyst uploaded a cool new picture:

med_gallery_12355_9_716611.jpg

D&D Next campaign character
dwarf rogue
Phlox

Sounds like we can look forward to hearing the Order jumping on the 5E bandwagon. :)

And there's been a bit of activity over on the OOTAK blog, as well:

What Have We Become?

I guess it’s my fault.

We were doing so well. The Mage Chronicle was progressing nicely and regularly. On off weeks we’d begun a nWoD Changeling Chronicle run by Storyteller Jayson. Things were fine.

Then one week, it was coming up on my Mage game and I just didn’t have any ideas. Sure, I knew where the whole of things were moving but nothing seemed to go together into something specific to do that week. The muse had fled. It happens sometimes.

So instead of floundering and having a boring, aimless game, I suggested … God help me, I suggested we just play some board or card games that session. And hey, I said, if you have any old Magic decks, since we mentioned them in RP in the Mage game, why not bring ‘em over and we’ll battle?

And we did. And then James, that evil tempter, suggested we go further. Why don’t we all buy a “Builder’s Toolkit” and build a deck from there? No one has any advantage except the ability to build and play.

And we did. And it was fun. And it got ugly. Fungly.

So in two weeks we’re going to play M:tG for the third time, after we’ve upgraded with a couple of agreed-upon boosters. We’ll probably also record it (we skipped the first sessions). Considering the trash talk that went around last night, it might be entertaining… if you can forgive the sub-human geekiness of Magic players we’ve devolved into.

Thankfully we’re still doing Changeling alternate weeks. Hopefully we’ll put some of those and the early Mage APs up sooner or later.

Thanks for sticking with us, even though we’re little more than animals now.

Gotta go now. A booster pack or several are waiting for me.

-T

#6 Pat_OOTAKs_U

Pat_OOTAKs_U

Toad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

There is lots of cool stuff going on in the OOTAK HQ.

Jayson has taken over the audio responsibilities and is using a high quality mic to record all of the action. Jayson is the man!

We are currently recording an Eclipse Phase campaign that I am personally very excited about. My character, an uplift-chimpanzee-psychic-sex-worker, really gives me a platform to explore the possibilities of deep RP...  :P

In games past, we usually fought or stumbled our way into situations; in our current Eclipse Phase game we tend towards strategic decision making which can sometimes make for interesting listening. I really hope some of those sessions make it up very soon.

Sadly, OOTAK's archive drive died. The worst part is that the rarely used the drive just spontaneously malfunctioned shortly after it's warranty period ended. Several archived sessions were lost and I don't have the funds to pay for the data recovery services needed to get that information back (into a hopefully readable format). 

I am asking anybody who enjoys our sessions to post on the boards. A small amount of feedback goes a long way. Oh yeah, you've been great P-Monk!

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:17 AM

Sadly, OOTAK's archive drive died. The worst part is that the rarely used the drive just spontaneously malfunctioned shortly after it's warranty period ended.

2hi5q1e.jpg

Several archived sessions were lost and I don't have the funds to pay for the data recovery services needed to get that information back (into a hopefully readable format).

Sorry to hear that. :( Perhaps you guys should consider storing some of your files on Dropbox or some suitable online back-up service in the Cloud?

I am asking anybody who enjoys our sessions to post on the boards. A small amount of feedback goes a long way.

You could also consider posting here on RPGMP3 more often, and maybe take the opportunity to promote and advertise your own games, while you're at it. ;) "Oh, you like depraved space hedonists and the Traveller RPG, you say? By the way, have you heard about Byron?" :P

#8 Pat_OOTAKs_U

Pat_OOTAKs_U

Toad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

The problem with the cloud storage services tends to be the size limitations. When I was producing the recordings for OOTAK I tended to record in an uncompressed format and then mix down into a 128kbps MP3 file. The goal was to make the best sounding recordings that I possibly could. However the uncompressed raw audio files could be quite large and not really suitable for cloud storage. In retrospect, I wish I would have backed up all of the MP3 files to the cloud. Live and learn I guess.

Our Eclipse Phase campaign is certainly no Traveller, but I think it's interesting nonetheless.

I would love to revisit the Traveller universe someday, unfortunately there are so many great games and so many great systems that I am not sure when OOTAK will get a chance to do that!

I am looking forward to getting a little more active on these boards and getting new material out there. Thank you for the encouragement P-Monk!

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:47 AM

I would love to revisit the Traveller universe someday, unfortunately there are so many great games and so many great systems that I am not sure when OOTAK will get a chance to do that!

The eternal dilemma. :)

#10 Pat_OOTAKs_U

Pat_OOTAKs_U

Toad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

Unfortunately there was no game last week (09-28-2015), but this week's session of our Eclipse Phase mini-campaign had the potential to go nuclear... literally.

I won't tell anybody how it ends, mostly because I don't even know myself. I had to cash out early this past Monday and head home, but something pretty horrible and epic was happening as I was leaving.

Hopefully Jayson will get around to posting our Eclipse Phase sessions in the Patrons feed sometime soon. Sadly, it looks like James is going to be missing from most of our current recording, although he has popped in to play at least once. Hopefully he will make a few more guest appearances in the near future.

The funny thing about that Traveller game is how iconic it has become in our own group. Sometimes you will hear the various members of OOTAK (with the exception of Jimmy, he wasn't around for that one) reference those sessions with a huge amount of fondness. I think I can say, with complete honesty, that our Traveller sessions were probably the best time I've had gaming.

So yeah P-Monk, more Traveller in our future would be pretty cool, although I can't keep saying it enough; our current Eclipse Phase sessions have been pretty awesome too!

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:27 AM

The funny thing about that Traveller game is how iconic it has become in our own group. Sometimes you will hear the various members of OOTAK (with the exception of Jimmy, he wasn't around for that one) reference those sessions with a huge amount of fondness. I think I can say, with complete honesty, that our Traveller sessions were probably the best time I've had gaming.

#12 Pat_OOTAKs_U

Pat_OOTAKs_U

Toad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:21 AM

Another epic Eclipse Phase session last night (10/05/2015).

Sadly, Firewall's intrepid field operatives have nearly concluded their mission with nary a brainfuckle to be had... yet...

Many of our current sessions are filled with long periods of philosophical discussions on the morality and lore of Eclipse Phase's transhuman setting. I've loved every second of it. Did I mention that the base rules and several EP supplements are freely downloable in easy-to-use PDFs? I encourage people to check them out.

I am not sure how many Eclipse Phase sessions we have left, but if we play our cards right and somehow manage to stop the TITANs from consuming every last, tasty ego on the station our EP campaign should wrap up sometime in December.

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

Revival?

It’s been far too long since our last post. We have been gaming the whole time, we have been recording, just not posting. There are some projects in the works but not yet ready to be announced.

Huzzah! Sounds exciting. :)

What we can say is that we have had another addition to our membership. Welcome, Kirk.

Welcome, welcome! Have you told him about this site, and the recordings, or are you waiting to see how long it'll take him to notice the hidden microphones scattered around the gaming table? ;)

We’ve been playing regularly on Monday nights. Todd is running a 5th Edition game set in his own world of Skard.

There's a couple of old recorded game sessions from that setting, sloshing around on the interwebs somewhere, IIRC. Did he have to make any major changes to get it updated to the new edition?

We have also begun an “Ootak Night Out” when we play different game systems at a local game store on Thursdays. The plan was to make these “one shots” but sometimes we like a game so much it gets stretched to a few sessions. So now, they’re just “shots”, which I guess is fitting for a night out.

One of the Yorkton Gamers' InSpectres recordings - available here on the site - started with some table banter, where Brad (infamous for playing Ash & Misty in their Pathfinder: Jade Regent campaign) coined the wonderful phrase: "until-they're-done-shots". :D

So far, we’ve had fun and have made enough of a commotion to draw the attention of a few strangers over to our table. We hope to continue this regularly.

For now, that is all.

Is that how you ended up recruiting Kirk?

#14 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:52 AM

Kirk is from Jayson's other game group. We don't talk about them if we can help it. He knows we're recording and doesn't seem to mind. We're printing up a waiver and I'm sure I can get something close to his signature on it, whether he writes it or not. He is part of another audio thingee - https://twitter.com/SideShowLounge. I don't think he'll mind the plug here.

Skard is a world that has been developed for over two decades and every now and then I drop into it in a different campaign. I'm really enjoying 5E and the players seem to be enjoying things too, so we'll probably keep going for a while.

Except for Pat. We've lost Pat for our 5E home sessions as soon-to-be-Daddy needs to stay close to home these days. However, since our Ootak night out is close to his home and lovely wife, he may still be joining us for those. Stay tuned.

I like "until they're done shots", but I also like the sound of "Night Out, featuring Shots with Ootak" or something like that. :D

#15 Pat_OOTAKs_U

Pat_OOTAKs_U

Toad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

It was with great regret that I had to quit our Monday-Funday night game. My character "Ozzie" was consigned to the dust bin of history, but I hope to revisit him some day.

#16 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:55 AM

Kirk is from Jayson's other game group. We don't talk about them if we can help it. He knows we're recording and doesn't seem to mind. We're printing up a waiver and I'm sure I can get something close to his signature on it, whether he writes it or not. He is part of another audio thingee - https://twitter.com/SideShowLounge. I don't think he'll mind the plug here.

Yeah, that's sounds like OOTAKu-style commentary. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ootak, blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge