#1 katheb

katheb

Kobold

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hello,

I have played pathfinder and only pathfinder as I started late in my RPG life. But hearing the Warhammer roleplay on this site is awesome! I was wondering a few things.

1: Would you recommend I try it out [assuming my players are interested.]?

2: What edition should I go for as someone who has never played Warhammer or another RPG for that matter.

3: There are a thousand books oh god, Help!?

Any advice?

Thanks.

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,100 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

I like Warhammer - the setting it rather gritty and depressing but it is more closely aligned with a fantasy version of medieval Europe where dark forces work in the shadows to corrupt and manipulate and destroy for hideous deities of nasty badness.

I would suggest First or Second Edition. I did not like the board gamey feel of Third quite so much as First and Second.

The classic adventure for First is Enemy Within which is all about corruption in the Empire - this is for 1st ed. Thousand Thrones is a single book adventure for 2nd that is pretty good. Also check out Paths of the Damned (which spans 3 books) and Lure of the Liche Lord which is a little more high level.

There are some excellent splat books for Warhammer as well as the background is pretty awesome. I like all the Chaos stuff. The original Realms of Chaos books were the classics but the new Tome of Corruption is not too bad - but I think they tame it down a little from the first edition. Slaanesh is less about sex, rape and boobies and more about manipulation for example.

I like the system because everyone starts out as a normal person and it really doesn't get much better from there. It is more about avoiding death than seeking adventure :)

#3 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I used to own and run first edition and I've played some second edition. As yet I've not tried the third edition, which uses a radically different system with custom dice. As much as I like the original I do think that second edition seems to have cleaned up a few things and slightly streamlined the game, but it remains somewhat old fashioned in the way it does things: don't expect a universal resolution mechanic, for instance. It's probably worth bearing in mind that the mechanics originally derived from the miniatures game (the first edition of which claimed to be both a miniatures and a role-playing game, but the RPG elements were rudimentary at best), which helps to explain some of the apparently weird design choices.

Personally I'd suggest second edition. Grab a copy of the rulebook (shouldn't be too hard to find secondhand) and see if you can find a copy of White Dwarf issue 94, which contains the adventure A Rough Night at the Three Feathers. That should get you started nicely :)

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,100 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

That is also true - and in the rulebook you should find the adventure, The Oldenhaller Contract - which I have played and run a million zillion times :)

Also stands a good chance of killing at least most of the party in the intro adventure and turning the survivors into one eyed disease demons. So in that regard it is a good little adventure to try to set the tone of the game going forward :P

Hal :hal:

#5 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

I used to own and run first edition and I've played some second edition. As yet I've not tried the third edition, which uses a radically different system with custom dice. As much as I like the original I do think that second edition seems to have cleaned up a few things and slightly streamlined the game, but it remains somewhat old fashioned in the way it does things: don't expect a universal resolution mechanic, for instance. It's probably worth bearing in mind that the mechanics originally derived from the miniatures game (the first edition of which claimed to be both a miniatures and a role-playing game, but the RPG elements were rudimentary at best), which helps to explain some of the apparently weird design choices.

Personally I'd suggest second edition. Grab a copy of the rulebook (shouldn't be too hard to find secondhand) and see if you can find a copy of White Dwarf issue 94, which contains the adventure A Rough Night at the Three Feathers. That should get you started nicely :)

I couldn't agree more. On the whole the second edition doesn't feel that radically different from the first and has tidied up the way the former version plays quite nicely. There is an adventure compilation for 2nd edition called Plundered Vaults* which includes 3 classic scenarios (including A Rough Night at the Three Feathers) and three newer ones as well.

* Since print copies aren't as easy to get hold of these days I'll provide a link here.  http://rpg.drivethru...lundered-Vaults

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

I couldn't agree more. There is an adventure compilation for 2nd edition called Plundered Vaults which includes 3 classic scenarios (including A Rough Night at the Three Feathers) and three newer ones as well.

That sounds like one to go for, then. Wasn't aware Three Feathers had been reprinted.

#7 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

That sounds like one to go for, then. Wasn't aware Three Feathers had been reprinted.

Well the art isn't as good (there's something about the occassional 2nd ed illustration that doesn't quite feel right for the Old World and this book features a few of them) but the adventure's all there and updated to 2nd edition rules too. I think they also included the classic Grapes of Wrath scenario in that book too.

#8 katheb

katheb

Kobold

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Huzzah!

Thanks for the info... Now all I have to do is convince my playing group to venture out of the saftey of golarion and enter the relm of WARHAMMER!

#9 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

I also strongly recommend the Olde World Armoury to occupy your players and the Olde World Bestiary. The bestiary is my favorite monster book in a system.

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,100 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Huzzah!

Thanks for the info... Now all I have to do is convince my playing group to venture out of the saftey of golarion and enter the relm of WARHAMMER!

Its an easy sell - they can be rat catchers and servants, ill equipped to deal with the terrors all around them and likely to meet a sticky and untimely end on the point of an axe wielded by a barbarian northman who worships the Chaos in all its tentacular glory. Or maybe a ratman will hit you with a globe filled with poison that will mutate you into some kind of hideous blob creature.

If you survive for a while you might become a lawyer or a sea captain or a low level wizard and still run a solid chance of being eaten by orcs at any moment or catching some horrid disease :D

Bloody for the Blood God! :P

Excellent game :D

Hal :hal:

#11 katheb

katheb

Kobold

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

I got a copy thanks for the link, Though it is still on it's way! Now all I have to do is to convince people the grim darkness that is WFRP is actually good to play yay!

#12 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 455 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:42 AM

Fingers crossed that you manage it. I really like the setting and the 2nd ed books are almost all pretty good. I think I need to go and have a bit of a reread of them.

#13 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

Fingers crossed that you manage it. I really like the setting and the 2nd ed books are almost all pretty good. I think I need to go and have a bit of a reread of them.

That's just what I'm doing!

#14 katheb

katheb

Kobold

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

The book has arrived!

One note to those who want to buy one, they are printed on regular NON-Glossy paper. [so don't expect it to be like the pathfinder ones.]

But the system looks great and makes sense Detailed but straightforward. Some of my player already sound interested mwahahah

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: warhammer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge