• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Just in case anyone might need a way to churn out large numbers of pre-gen starting characters for 5E, check out this link.

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

The link was originally found on the OD&D boards, in a thread that also provides some interesting stuff about character backgrounds. Check out the Underdark background, or just take a look at these nifty-cool excerpts:

ALTERATION.

You may roll, or choose, one, or all of these.

1. Your eyes are larger than usual for your race, they also have no whites, people cannot tell where you are looking.
2. Colourless, your skin has no pigment. You sunburn easily.
3. Missing or non-functional nose. You smell by breathing deeply through your mouth.
4. Your fingernails are thick, long and hooked.
5. You walk toe-to-heel, people will notice your gait seems 'off' and rangers will be mystified by your tracks. They are distinctive though.
6. You don't yawn, snore, sniff, sneeze, cough, gasp, moan, cry out or even laugh much. It takes people a while to notice this. You may still scream in pain if badly hurt.
7. Spindly. Add a d6 to your height modifier. Keep your weight the same.
8. Though each individual aspect of your appearance is apparently normal, there is something very odd about the whole. Those who do not know your name will refer to you as 'that ill-starred individual' 'the strange one' or just 'the freak'.

Personality Trait

1. I am always watching. The less I say the more I see.
3. I rank my colleagues in order of which I would abandon first. Its nothing personal.
6. I love music but only from a distance, its always too loud up close.
7. I love cities but hate crowds. Empty cities make me happy.

Flaw

1. Burning Eyes. You treat a clear cloudless sky as an enemy.
2. Inverse Cosmology. You secretly regard those most think of as gods, as daemons and devils, and those they think of as 'Evil' as the true gods. How you deal with this is up to you.
3. Funeral Rite. Failing to eat at least part of someone you respect when they die is a terrible insult. You would never do that to a friend.
4. Ready for Flight. You are never willing to become encumbered by what you carry. Ever.

#3 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Interesting tool

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

Interesting tool

I'm sure he's been called worse.

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

The best nickname anyone has ever given me IRL was "The Vulture". :)

It's even funnier when you hear the story behind it, so of course, I'm not going to tell you. ;)

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:58 AM

People who need character ideas (not the actual nitty-gritty stats of one, but an idea for what you want to roleplay), try this handy random generator.

Oh, and here's a handy thing if you're looking for a real-life evil villain name.

tumblr_n2x52dtq3l1r3godco1_1280.jpg

the white knight of the night, great, i’m fucking moon moon of fantasy villains

(Source.)

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

The Treacherous Ogre of the Shadows.

Not bad! And who says that Cyan is their favourite colour? Seriously :)

Ha ha Moon Moon :P

Hal :hal:

#8 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hmm, let's see... *Peruses the site calendar* @ross, @Fin and @WhiteKnight from the BAGgies would be a trio of Assassins (Black, Vengeful and Red, respectively), which seems highly appropriate for Fin, at least, since he's actually played one, during the Warlords & Accordions campaign... Although it would probably be a better fit if they'd been three Stooges. ;)

@Daniel is a Blue Fairy. :D All that massive super-depressing angst-festing in Tropis has turned him permanently blue, how delightful. ;)

Thing would be a Wicked Gargoyle, in addition to being "A Bad Man". :) Wheras Lindsay is Red Dwarf. (Cue fierce debate about whether she's Lister or Rimmer.)

Oh, @Heather is a White Ogre to match your Treacherous one, Hal - and her boy toy Lockhart is a Cursed Giant.

#9 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

And who says that Cyan is their favourite colour? Seriously :)

Diehard Sinclair Spectrum fans?

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:16 AM

And who says that Cyan is their favourite colour? Seriously :)

Speaking of which... Was just listening to episode 4 of the Sunless Citadel, and at around 1 h, 57 min, this comment was made:

Hal: Cyan? Isn't that some horrible pink color?

Looks like Our Glorious Leader has suffered a fierce aversion to this particular nuance for quite some time. :)
(Although in this case, the comment was made in response to hearing that someone had named their child "Cyan", which Hal thought was vastly inferior to his own suggestion: "Funkasaurus".) ;)

#11 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hmm, let's see... *Peruses the site calendar* @ross, @Fin and @WhiteKnight from the BAGgies would be a trio of Assassins (Black, Vengeful and Red, respectively), which seems highly appropriate for Fin, at least, since he's actually played one, during the Warlords & Accordions campaign... Although it would probably be a better fit if they'd been three Stooges. ;)

@Daniel is a Blue Fairy. :D All that massive super-depressing angst-festing in Tropis has turned him permanently blue, how delightful. ;)

Thing would be a Wicked Gargoyle, in addition to being "A Bad Man". :) Wheras Lindsay is Red Dwarf. (Cue fierce debate about whether she's Lister or Rimmer.)

Oh, @Heather is a White Ogre to match your Treacherous one, Hal - and her boy toy Lockhart is a Cursed Giant.

A white Ogre huh? 

#12 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

Where the hell is ecru? 

#13 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

Where the hell is ecru? 

An abomination unto the gods!

But that's my answer to most things.

#14 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

An abomination unto the gods!

But that's my answer to most things.

It's a good one. No need to mess with the classics.

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:40 AM

#16 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

I'm adding the tool from the OP to my list, as that might come in handy.

And since I'm also an assassin, I'm adding Pencil-Monkey to the list for forgetting my birthday.

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

According to your profile page, your birthday is "unknown", so I will, of course, make sure to offer you an unknown birthday greeting on an unknown date. ;)

#18 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:04 AM

I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma sent via secrecy from a cryptic conundrum, and I will hold you to that!

#19 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

Mattias Lejbrink, a Swedish gamer, has recently constructed a shiny new random dungeon generator for OSR games (specifically adapted for Labyrinth Lord). The dungeon generator is still in the beta-testing stage, and the creator is hoping to get as much feedback as possible - it's in English, so anyone should be able to try it out. If you want to read more about it, you can check out this blog post (in Swedish, though).

According to the author, it should work fine in Chrome and Firefox; when you access it on an iDevice, you'll probably experience some minor bugs. You can, quote: "forget about Internet Exploder". ;)

#20 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

Nice generator - makes some pretty slick maps :)

Hal :hal:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnd next, dnd5e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge