#1 Big Bad Jon

Big Bad Jon

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Hello,

I've been a lurker for quite a long time, and I might know some people on here. Point being that I'm not usually a fan of first posts being to shill or advertise other works on other sites, but I was chatting to Hal and he suggested posting here, so here goes.

Last night I released the pilot episode of my new Geek Gameshow Quiz Podcast - The Missing Monkey.

You can find it here at http://www.themissingmonkey.com and if you like it then I'd be really appreciative if you would share with people that you think might also enjoy it. I'm recording episode 4 tonight and we have no intention of stopping any time soon, and we are always on the lookout for new questions, players and sponsors. All the information is on the website if you want to go look.

My name is Big Bad Jon and I offer this podcast for your consideration. :)

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Hey Jon :)

I listened to this yesterday when you posted it to Facebook and it is really good :)

You lot should give it a listen and tell him what you think - you have more experience listening to gaming podcasts as a community than most anywhere else online :)

Hal :hal:

#3 AndrewRJ

AndrewRJ

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, Wa

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

I took a listen yesterday and was really pleased with the podcast.  It was very well done and I will definitely be listening to more once published.  I had fun playing along. (I would have placed last likely) but I was surprised at how many I did know.  Font of useless knowledge for the win!

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:14 AM

My name is Big Bad Jon and I offer this podcast for your consideration. :)

You mean, there's two Big Bad Jons roaming the Manchester area? Shocking! :D If you ever run into @BigJackBrass in person, the two of you could swap some exciting anecdotes, no doubt. ;)

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

Perhaps folks from The Hall could go on the podcast as contestants :)

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

At least one of them has past experience from PoC's QuizziQal quiz show. (And he even revealed a terrifying fact about the already-quite-terrifying Mr. OfCthulhu.) :O

Spoiler

#7 Big Bad Jon

Big Bad Jon

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

OK, a few things. First, thank you very much for welcoming me and listening, I was nervous about posting what might be considered to be spam. Thank you for the feedback, I ponder anything that comes back in the hopes of making it better.

The second episode is now live as of last night. We realised early on that a weekly schedule would kill us so we went to every two weeks and we're a couple of episodes ahead so we have a buffer for who-knows-what.

I'll happily take on people onto the players waiting list if they want to play, i mention it on the website, but all anyone would need to do is mail me at bigbadjon@themissingmonkey.com and we can talk further.

Finally (and i love the gif of the cats) thank you for pointing me at Quizziqal... I did spend ages trying to find any geek quiz out there and they are rare... in terms of podcast i couldn't find one. I did listen to that show and it's a shame that it only has one episode out there. I wouldn't mind talking to the people that made it at some point. :)

again, thank you and all i ask is that if you enjoy it, then please tell people.

#8 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

Finally (and i love the gif of the cats) thank you for pointing me at Quizziqal... I did spend ages trying to find any geek quiz out there and they are rare... in terms of podcast i couldn't find one. I did listen to that show and it's a shame that it only has one episode out there. I wouldn't mind talking to the people that made it at some point. :)

@PaulofCthulhu was the show host, so you could send him a PM, or track him down at his own non-Euclidean gaming website, Yog-Sothoth.com. If you peruse the site, you can even find a section in their gallery where they posted a picture of the three contestants that participated on the first (and sadly, only) QuizziQal show. Notice the smug proud winner in the middle - a man who is also, in fact, a (mildly) Big and (moderately) Bad Jon from the Manchester area. ;)

med_gallery_2__1376823618_2754.jpg

BTW, you're not the only person who's hoping for more quiz episodes; take a look at these comments that were made a fortnight ago, on August 4th:

Having recently listened to the pilot episode again - which is very enjoyable - I was wondering whether this program would ever have legs? I know there was only a few of us that contributed towards the idea of a 'geek-culture-quiz-show' but I truly believe that you may be missing out on a very popular medium, one that can be appreciated by a much broader audience of hobby gamers.

I think it will actually be fun. It's not been easy gathering the gang together due to long term "real life" aspects of several of the group (that's also kept other things on the long boil).

To get this going I'm simply going to get who we have to hand and get those editions of QuizziQal out!

#9 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

A hard fought, well earned victory. Every reason to be smug ;)

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

It is with a rather heavy heart the I am posting that Big Bad Jon Scholes passed away a few days ago. He had been ill for a long time. There has been a huge outpouring on his social media from friends and people who knew him. I didn't know him as much as I would have liked, we moved away to the US only a few years after I met him but we spoke on email and chat often about podcasting and gaming.

He was a character and someone who tried hard to give everyone a good time and I will miss him.

12227050_10153309962217615_7069541003839

Why not go and listen to an episode of The Missing Monkey...

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

I heard the news at the weekend. Very sad indeed. My interactions with Jon were mostly tangential, but it was hard to miss his work at cons and such.

#12 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

I'm sorry to hear it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: podcast, bbj, geek, vaguenet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge