#1 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hello all. I found the site through avid googling and can't believe I missed it for so long.

Robert is the real name if you feel silly with old online handles.

Very happy to have arrived with 5th ed on the horizon.

I'm a southern U.S. gamer who has dabbled in many systems.

I'm particularly enjoying the old rolemaster set as I've never been able to get a group into that beast.

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Greetings and salutation Lucky, always good to see a new face. Many recordings indeed of all sorts of systems and groups await you here. Truly a hidden gem of the internet you've found in your astute use of Google, with so many hours of RPG entertainment tucked away. May you find warm welcomes and a nice community that is fun to be apart of, and much laughter and geekery here.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hidden gem :) I like that.

Welcome to the forums - we are all pretty friendly and willing to chat about all kinds of game related stuff.

I think forums might be a little old school but they are so much better for conversations that social media :P

Also - yay for Rolemaster - I do love it so! :D

You could try online gaming - a few of our groups here do and it works pretty well, though I do confess a tingle for the table from time to time :)

Hal :hal:

#4 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

I can second that tabletop RPGs played online are a lot simpler these days. The Internet Explorers play exclusively on Roll20 as we're all so far apart. Having said that, there isn't anything that quite beats playing in person. You can make your players jump when you're face-to-face!

Welcome. Hope you enjoy! :)

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

*Sips a cuppa and cheerily waves half a Rich Tea biscuit in your general direction*

coffee-bath-smiley.gif

#6 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

I've been in talks to run a fifth ed game via the web to pay back (in a good karma way) the gm who ran 3e for us when it came out.

The group is across three states now so online is the only way.

Is Roll20 the preferred toolbox here? Is all map drawing done internal to Roll20 or do I need cartographer or something on the side.

I've made a shadowrun 4th excel character generator and have a pile of drivethru PDFs but I'm still pretty graph paper age for what I'm running.

But we are living in an age of miracle and wonder so I'm up for a new tool.

#7 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

I've been in talks to run a fifth ed game via the web to pay back (in a good karma way) the gm who ran 3e for us when it came out.
The group is across three states now so online is the only way.
Is Roll20 the preferred toolbox here? Is all map drawing done internal to Roll20 or do I need cartographer or something on the side.
I've made a shadowrun 4th excel character generator and have a pile of drivethru PDFs but I'm still pretty graph paper age for what I'm running.
But we are living in an age of miracle and wonder so I'm up for a new tool.

Yes, Roll20 is the preffered method, because it autosaves, is free, and relatively easy to use with continuous innovation.

Regarding the maps, typically, the GMs around here (I believe, I do so at least) Extract the map images from PDFs of the modules they are running and resize them to the Roll20 grid. If you are looking to do homebrew, the Roll20 store has some free options, and quite a few more decently priced map tiles that can be used to construct your own maps. There is also fog of war and the ability to draw lines (which can auto-fit to grid) to creat basic building/room drawings and such. I also keep a close eye on the Map-making community for Google+, a lot of talented cartographers upload their own maps that are easy to re-purpose, and I'm not above using an appropriate map from some pdf module I have that's close to what I want, and give it a little modification.

#8 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

Hidden gem :) I like that.

The site might be a hidden gem, but most of the gaming groups here are more than happy to give their family jewels a good airing in public - just ask @Daniel and the gamers-formerly-known-as-Pantsless. ;)

Also, a belated welcome to the site. :)

#9 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

Quick question for Hal in order of operations to benefit the site: do you still get your referral bonus from drivethru if I fill the cart over time then head over from the sponsor link here for the final check out?

#10 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

Quick question for Hal in order of operations to benefit the site: do you still get your referral bonus from drivethru if I fill the cart over time then head over from the sponsor link here for the final check out?

@Hal

#11 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

Quick query here. Whereabouts is the referral link?

#12 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

@kendoyle659

I've been using the banner ads that show up for me on the main and forum pages. I don't ever see them on the mobile site though. Ipad and Safari have been how I've been approaching them.

#13 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

Yes - we get a small referral from DriveThru, Amazon and Noble Knight. :) So anyone shopping through the site links would be much appreciated :)

The mobile skin has no ads as it takes up too much real estate - also Patrons do not see the ads either :) Most downloads in the Downloads area have associated links to Amazon, DrivethruRPG and Noble Knight as appropriate :)

#14 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

Ok. I'll log out to see the ads before I make any purchases then. :)

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:36 AM

Yeah I didn't know about that either, Hal. Thats a real kicker as I've been sinking a lot in DriveThru recently. Oh well, live & learn.

Welcome to the site, Strike. I'm Daniel another of the GMs here and like the Internet Explorers my group also plays online (we did it first ner :P), though we lost our internet exclusivity badge when I started a Uni group irl to run classic d&d.

If you're looking for places to start you cant go wrong with anything by Whartson Hall, or anything from Hal's group (who I believe are playing 5e atm).

Bewt wishes and I hope you stay with us a while,
Daniel

#16 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

There's a drivethru referral bonus?

The dwarf hurriedly scurries off to check hif three hundred and fifty something drivethru wishlist.

Hmm. I'll need to bear that in mind. Welcome to the site Strike. I'm sure you can find many hours of roleplaying goodness here.

#17 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

Haha

I'll post the links to the various affiliate programs we have here on the site into a pinned post in the patrons area so you guys can find the links without the ads.

#18 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

Great. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge