25 replies to this topic

#21 Prophet

Prophet

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

I have some other odd ball ones I wish were there like : Aftermath, TW 2000, Dark Conspiracy, Chill to name a few....

#22 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

A mere 31 for me. And a scary amount of those, were games I bought when playing "collect the set" (1st edition Rolemaster, Pirates and Plunder, Gangbusters were all guilty pleasures for that...)

Some of them were pretty sh*te though!  :D (James Bond, I'm singling you out especially!)

#23 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

I have some other odd ball ones I wish were there like : Aftermath, TW 2000, Dark Conspiracy, Chill to name a few....

Aside from Aftermath those were all published after the cutoff date, sadly.

#24 TFSakon

TFSakon

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

I might check out TMP. That just looks like a very interesting concept. You're observation about motivating the PCs is a very interesting one. You're right of course about not being negative, it's more that I'm aware of missing out on such a rich RPG culture. It's like trying to start reading Marvel.

#25 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:53 AM

If you're interested in the history of D&D (in this case, specifically the origin of critical hits), check out this link:

Gygax wrote in Dragon #16 (July 1978) that “the ‘critical hit’ or 'double damage’ on a 'to hit’ die roll of 20 is particularly offensive to the precepts of D&D.” When critical hits (or fumbles) are played, as he puts it, “the whole game system is perverted, and the game possibly ruined” by the precipitous deaths of powerful monsters or player characters. This text anticipates the blanket dismissal that would show up in the Dungeon Masters Guide the following year of “such rules as double damage and critical hits” (pg.61). [...] The mythical resonance of the natural 20 is too compelling to resist.

And here's a good comment:

Gygax and players imagined combat differently from the start. Officially in OD&D and AD&D a single roll to hit represented a prolonged period of feints and blows with one damage roll summarizing the outcome (the legacy of Chainmail being mass-battle miniature rules). But we always said “you swing and miss”, “I swing and hit”, because players imagined a rapid back-and-forth of individual blows, which changed their expectations for the results.

#26 thom

thom

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

So I saw this online and thought it might be helpful to those answering the #RPGaDay question today :)

90 Old School Tabletop RPGs

I got 25 - which I think is kind of appalling. There were some that I had played later versions of and some that I own but may never have played but some are super super obscure :)

Lets see how you all do. My money is on The Hall to win this one :P

Hal :hal:

Couldn't resist minor thread necromancy. I have owned or played only 24 and sadly probably only own about 12 or so now (maybe fewer). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge