#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

So I saw this online and thought it might be helpful to those answering the #RPGaDay question today :)

90 Old School Tabletop RPGs

I got 25 - which I think is kind of appalling. There were some that I had played later versions of and some that I own but may never have played but some are super super obscure :)

Lets see how you all do. My money is on The Hall to win this one :P

Hal :hal:

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

At a quick glance: 43. Still own quite a few of those :)

There are a couple of real rarities there.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Yes - I was thinking a few of those were mighty rare :)

I also guessed you would have played quite a few of them :P

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

There are some I never bothered to get, a couple I wanted but never found and a few I'm not familiar with.

And then there's the worst category: the ones I bought hoping they were great... but they weren't.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Yes - I have a shelf filled with the last category.

You also missed - the ones I think are great but I can persuade anyone to play :)

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

You also missed - the ones I think are great but I can persuade anyone to play :)

90% of the games I own...

#7 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:30 AM

Geez. I got 7 and thought that was a lot. I probably only ever saw another 5 or so in a store or at a gaming table. Maybe a few more in Dragon magazine ads. But most - never heard of 'em. You guys are really nerds.  :P

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

Not nerds so much as getting old :D

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Agreed :) I have seen a lot of them that I do not own or have played mostly because the local game store I used to frequent used to have an excellent second hand section :)

#10 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Well I've only got four and a two or three halves of those. Maybe some of those halves ought to count as a whole. The list seems to favour far too many science fiction elements to include most of my collection.

#11 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:08 AM

I got 16.... =)  I was disappointed that they didn't have.  Personally this was my favorite game, where my name and comic comes from.  (The characters I created back then.

mshoy7.jpg

#12 TFSakon

TFSakon

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:29 AM

Out of curiosity Brass which ones did you think were awesome, but sucked. Any us young'uns would recognise?

#13 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

I'll have to check the list again when I get home :)

#14 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

Six. I feel inadequate. Young and inadequate.

#15 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Out of curiosity Brass which ones did you think were awesome, but sucked. Any us young'uns would recognise?

"Sucked" might be putting it a little strongly... Perhaps "disappointed" would fit better.

The Morrow Project is one. I believe that Flying Buffalo UK distributed it over here, or possibly even reprinted it, so copies could be found "in the wild" (not the case for RPGs like Supergame, which I knew only from adverts in Space Gamer), and there was a boxed set available as well as the spiral-bound book. It had a reputation for extreme detail and accuracy, a sense of being a "realistic" post-apocalypse game. When I finally bought a copy it seemed to fall rather flat for me. Even for the time it came out there was a very heavy focus on weapons, ammunition and minute differences between firearms, none of which interests me particularly, but the main problem was the roleplaying side of it: TMP didn't really have much scope for developing a character until they borrowed the D100 system from Chaosium and bolted it on as a supplement. That expanded things for the PCs, but the world remained underdeveloped, only really coming to life in the adventures. It's a shame, because unlike many RPGs TMP actually gave your characters a reason to do things: they were part of a series of teams put in suspended animation in order to help rebuild society after catastrophe hit... except something went wrong and they remained asleep far longer than planned, waking to a world in a far worse state than anticipated. It's a great setup and I don't think that the game did enough with it at the start. I rather preferred Aftermath for my post-apocalypse jollies :D There was a crossover of writers, mechanical elements and even parts of the future history between TMP and Tri Tac's games such as Fringeworthy and FTL: 2448 (both also on the list), so inevitably some of the criticisms I have can be levelled at Tri Tac as well. Yet the vital difference from my point of view is that the Tri Tac games did a much better job of giving you a character you could really use and a world they could play in.

High Fantasy has a few nice elements, such as alchemist and "beast master" characters, but never managed to be more than a clunky D&D wannabe, feeling neither fresh nor easier to use. I kept it because it did have some very good solo adventures, though.

Wild West redeemed itself by fetching a few quid when I sold it on eBay, but like the early editions of Boot Hill it felt as though role-playing was an afterthought. Nothing to particularly recommend it, sadly.

Lands of Adventure is another oddity. There's actually a very clever, well thought out game in there... yet I can't think of a single reason why I'd run it instead of a different fantasy RPG. The included "culture packs" are a nice idea, brief setting books for Ye Olde Englande and Ancient Greece; it's a real shame that they never published more, as was planned. Some elements of the mechanics seem perversely contrary: I seem to recall that your dexterity stat was based on your skill at crafting items, rather than vice versa, for example. It also suffered from a lack of pre-written animals, monsters and NPCs, which made for heavy prep time. Still, it's the only game I've ever encountered that explains what happens to the combat effectiveness of a bear if you shave it. Loved the cover (quite radical for the time, with no oiled muscles or searing fireballs in sight) and I greatly respect Lee Gold's work, but I don't know if I'll ever try running it again.

There are others, but why be negative? It's a list heavy with brilliant games, old though they be.

#16 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

Good list! Where's MERP though? Or Ghostbusters or Toon? Shocking omissions... Although they are a bit modern perhaps... So fair enough. ;)

I've played 32 of those. Some easy points there for T&T fans! (You know who you are!)

Sadly I only still own four. Champions, of course, Rolemaster, Cthulhu and D&D. Still if you had to have just four, I'm fairly happy with where it's ended up! :)

#17 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

Good list! Where's MERP though? Or Ghostbusters or Toon? Shocking omissions... Although they are a bit modern perhaps... So fair enough. ;)

The list does say that the games are from 1983 or earlier; and if memory serves the three you mention are from 1984, 1986 and 1984.

Some easy points there for T&T fans! (You know who you are!)

Guilty, m'lud :D I did think it was a bit lazy to have so many editions of some games in there. They missed a fair few other titles that could easily have been included instead.

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

Still, it's the only game I've ever encountered that explains what happens to the combat effectiveness of a bear if you shave it.

Are the rules compatible with World of Synnibarr, so you could determine the combat effectivity of a shaved bear with laser beam eyes?

#19 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

I'm going to guess not, although you could probably combine it with Stalking the Night Fantastic which includes the damage you'll take if an Alsatian falls on your head from a height.

#20 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

Shaved or unshaved Alsatian? The drag coefficient is going to be significantly different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge