BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

22. Best secondhand RPG purchase.

Hm... Could go for the splendid revised edition of West End's Star Wars game, the so-called "super mondo" edition, but I don't get to play it often. Or maybe The Traveller Book, the very comprehensive hardback compilation of GDW's Traveller sci-fi rules, one of those rare games you could play forever with only the one purchase.

No, I think this has to be a supplement: Strike Force by the late and greatly missed Aaron Allston, a Champions sourcebook and campaign guide. Picked it up a few years ago quite cheaply and in great nick, which is increasingly difficult to do as this book is much sought-after and very highly regarded. It's really a published version of the notes for Allston's legendary Champions campaigns, but expanded to be so much more than that, a truly excellent volume of advice for GMs even if you don't play Champions, or even superhero games at all; after reading this you might find yourself itching to slip into a pair of tights and create a secret identity anyway, but hey, it is the weekend ;)

#122 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

23. Coolest looking RPG product / book.

The revised and expanded version of Geoffrey McKinney's Carcosa, published by Lamentations of the Flame Princess. I'm sure that the PDF looks nice enough, but the physical book is weirdly delightful. The cover is like alien leather, the pages seem to have been afflicted with a mould or peculiar fungus. Disturbing tinges of green and purple colour the whole, reinforcing the disturbing horror-fantasy tone. And it's a beautifully bound book, properly stitched and printed in a run, not on demand, which is all too rare these days. Few books match the visuals and physical properties of the product to the content so well, yet it's all fairly understated.

#123 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Day 20 => I expect I'll be playing call of Cthulhu for sure in 20 years still.

Day 21=> TSR's FASERIP marvel will always be the licensed property that first won me over.

Day 22 => so many to choose from. Currently I am most proud of the copy of Escape from Innsmouth I tracked down.

Day 23 => D&D cyclopedia. It's got shelf gravity. All the other books orbit it.

#124 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

22.  Found a copy of Street Fighter Player's Handbook on sale at half price for $6, normally $150 on Ebay.

23.  Night City Sourcebook for Cyberpunk 2020.  If there has ever been a better location guide made, I don't know of it.

24. Powers and Perils, so complicated I don't think we ever made it out of the creation.

25.  I love me some Dragon Age RPG.  Too bad nobody else does.

#125 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

24. Most complicated

25. Favourite no-one else wants to play

24. The same GM who introduced me to Call of Cthulhu also introduced me to Chivalry & Sorcery from Fantasy Games Unlimited. We played the second edition, and plenty of it. Character generation typically took three or four hours... the character sheet was a dense mass of type. The game seemed to cover everything, with the character even being affected by his horoscope, but the  most memorable thing was the "Rule of the Expert." In C&S if you wanted to play a magic-user then you weren't allowed to look the spells up in play, you had to learn them. This was made even trickier by the many different types of wizard, including one where you had to draw symbols in the air and the GM could disallow the spellcasting if he didn't think you'd done it properly. Still some of the best fantasy sessions I've ever played.

25. Virtually everything I own and run :D In particular, though, I never get to play T├ękumel and I never get to do anything at all with Lords of Creation.

#126 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

25.  I love me some Dragon Age RPG.  Too bad nobody else does.

Ahem. ;) (The Pantsies mostly play over Skype and such, so if you're interested and ask nicely, I'm sure they could find a place at the virtual table for you, next time they break out the Dragon Age books.)

Plus, there's probably tons of people who'd love to hear @TheGlen and @Daniel & Co. in the same AP recording. :)

#127 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Day 25: Pendragon

#128 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Sadly, as its been a few years since DA came out and such I have sold my DA content, literally yesterday >.<

#129 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Day 24 => most complicated is Battlelords of the 23rd Century.

Day 25 => R. Talsorian's Castle Falkenstein.

#130 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

26. Coolest character sheet.

When it comes to character sheets I much prefer them to be a clean layout, preferably black and white. It's a tool to use in a game. Making it pretty generally just gets in the way. However, there are some gorgeous looking sheets out there. This fan-made Ghostbusters sheet for Savage Worlds really catches the flavour perfectly (afraid I can't recall where I found it):

phpSXFMHNAM_zps43a437c9.jpg

27. Game you'd like to see a new / improved edition of.

GDW's Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

phpwB4Um3AM_zpse11ad499.jpg

Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales was a terrific comicbook, beautifully drawn and full of strong writing and strong characters. Sadly we may never see the story completed, but at least you can play out your own tales with this game. It's the future: mankind emerges from underground shelters to find a world greatly changed from that of their ancestors. Dinosaurs have returned. Technology is revered and feared, but a rift has arisen from those who want to utilise technology to put mankind back on top and those, like Jack Tenrec, who believe in a balance with the natural world. Lots of opportunity for political schemes and double-dealing, moral dilemmas and difficult choices, but it's also an excuse to enjoy wild pulp adventures driving an ancient Caddy through a savage dinosaur-filled landscape! 

The system is based on Twilight: 2000 second edition. A little slow and clunky for modern tastes, although it does have a number of good elements and certainly does the job. Although there's relatively little additional material to include in the mythical new edition (designer Frank Chadwick told me they'd used everything except for the one issue of the comic that appeared after the game was published) I'd love to see it spruced up and converted to Fudge.

#131 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Day 26 => hard to say. Probably Vampire the Masquerade. I spent a lot of time running that in the 90's and the sheets worked well at a single glance.

Day 27 => I would love to see the storyteller Street Fighter game get a fresh look. It was surprisingly much fun back in the day.

#132 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Day 27: Ringworld. The game system itself (based on BRP) could use a freshening, and IIRC, it was published after The Ringworld Engineers and needs updating with the story line from The Ringworld Throne and Ringworld's Children.

#133 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Ahem. ;) (The Pantsies mostly play over Skype and such, so if you're interested and ask nicely, I'm sure they could find a place at the virtual table for you, next time they break out the Dragon Age books.)

Plus, there's probably tons of people who'd love to hear @TheGlen and @Daniel & Co. in the same AP recording. :)

I can try, asking nicely is a tricky for me.  Might do the list some good though.

#134 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

26.  That's a tough one, there was a custom made Cyberpunk 2020 sheet that stood out, looked like a circuit board, but wasn't kitschy. 

27.  Speaking of...Cyberpunk 2020 needs some love again, especially after the turd that was 3rd.

28.  Cthulhu game easily.  Not because it was CoC, but because the Keeper wanted me to describe in great detail the sex I was having with another character.

#135 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Day 29: The hoolar from Sandy's RuneQuest campaign.

#136 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

28. Scariest game you've played 

29. Most memorable encounter 

Scariest is easy: Call of Cthulhu. When I was at college and first played the game it was run by a terrific GM called Steve Dobson. He had a great, open style relying heavily on invention and improvisation, which he was really good at. And he could do dark and creepy. Very creepy. Investigator, extremely nervous already, heard something outside his bedroom door and, in typical CoC PC fashion, blasts through the door with his shotgun. Opens door: little girl standing there, upset and covered in blood, clutching the severed head of a sheep that is now rather the worse for wear after being shot... 

Most memorable encounter, however... I don't know. I know which encounter was almost the most memorable, but it didn't work quite as well as is hoped and I cut it short, so in a way it's memorable for the wrong reasons. You can hear it in the zombie episode of SLIDEways, when the group encounters the old man whose wife has turned. For a few moments it started to come together, with the group facing a no win moral decision, something they'd have to deal with for a long time, but it so upset some of the players that I chickened out and curtailed the encounter. Should I have forced it to a deeper level? Probably not, yet I wish I had because it's the sort of thing we do too rarely in our games. 

#137 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:38 AM

Investigator, extremely nervous already, heard something outside his bedroom door and, in typical CoC PC fashion, blasts through the door with his shotgun. Opens door: little girl standing there, upset and covered in blood, clutching the severed head of a sheep that is now rather the worse for wear after being shot...

Wait, what?! Did the shotgun blast decapitate the sheep? Or was she already carrying the severed sheep's head before the shot? :O Either way: SAN loss, ahoy!

#138 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:51 AM

Wait, what?! Did the shotgun blast decapitate the sheep? Or was she already carrying the severed sheep's head before the shot? :O Either way: SAN loss, ahoy!

She was carrying the severed head. As a pet. Put the willies right up the party, I can tell you.

#139 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

30. Rarest RPG owned

31. Favourite RPG of all time

September rumbles into port, prompting everyone in the entire world to comment that they can't believe it's already September, and it's time to wrap up my contributions to this thread:

Rarest RPG owned. I've had a few rare items over the years, almost always bought with no notion as to eventual rarity. Some I sold years ago (and look at current eBay prices with a sigh), some I sold more recently as prices rose and I realised I was never actually going to play the damned things... A few I kept. Mostly I'd call these "uncommon" rather than truly rare, but you probably won't see too many copies of this one floating around:

Futureking_zpsf72367f8.jpg

Written by Tom Moldvay, better known as editor of the red book D&D set and author of Lords of Creation, The Future King is a system and adventure in one slim volume. Doc Holliday, Nostradamus, Bruce Lee, Harald Hardraada, Owen Glendower and Cyrano de Bergerac must team up to help King Arthur as he tries to return to the waking world. It's a pity that there are no female heroes in that list, but other than that you have to admit it's full of possibilities :D You can still find this one for sale, but not many people seem to have heard of it.

As for favourite RPG... Forgotten Futures? Tunnels and Trolls? Call of Cthulhu? Too many choices... T&T is a firm favourite, yet I think I'll give this one to Fudge, Steffan O'Sullivan's innovative, endlessly adaptable system. It can be as easy or as complicated as you like and tailored to any setting with relatively little effort (I used it as the system behind S L I D E WAYS). And Fudge Dice are genius, the simplest, clearest rolling mechanic I've seen. You can download the game for free from the publisher, or buy the fancy hardback version. In many ways, Fudge was the first Internet RPG, a collaborative effort built via the 'net, pledged to remain available free of charge for as long as the author is alive. FATE may have stolen all of the spotlight time recently, but my heart's with the original.

logo_fudge_TM_zpsa7697d8a.jpg

#140 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:58 AM

Written by Tom Moldvay, better known as editor of the red book D&D set and author of Lords of Creation, The Future King is a system and adventure in one slim volume. Doc Holliday, Nostradamus, Bruce Lee, Harald Hardraada, Owen Glendower and Cyrano de Bergerac must team up to help King Arthur as he tries to return to the waking world. It's a pity that there are no female heroes in that list [...]

You could replace Nostradamus with the Pythia, and Harald Hardrada with Boudica. (That's only about a thousand year leap's difference between their historical periods, no biggie.) :) There aren't a lot of female martial artists who are as famous as Bruce Lee, but it could work, regardless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge