• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#81 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Ahhh Ninja Burger - quite awesome and something I need to run a one off of I feel :P

Ninja Burger, huh? Are there rules for playing as Pizza Flippin' Greedo? ;)

sw11.jpg

#82 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Old RPG I still play/read? That's almost all of them... :D

Looks like Tunnels and Trolls and Empire of the Petal Throne can fight this one out, with EPT probably winning since the version of T&T I play is a revision from a few years later.

#83 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Day 12 - Old RPG I Still Play / Read

*cough* Rolemaster *cough*

Hal :hal:

#84 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Day 8: The hoolar from Sandy's RuneQuest III campaign which I chronicled.
Day 10: Tossup between first three Dragonlance novels, King of Sartar, and the Tekumel novels.
Day 11: Alma Mater

#85 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Day 12 => there are so many but for old I feel have to get back to the 70's or 80's and basic D&D in its compendium form fits this bill close enough for me.

#86 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

Day 11

Wierdest RPG I own

Hmm. That's probably a bit of a tough one. I'd love to say Paranoia but I don't actually own a copy of Paranoia. Tunnels and Trolls often tries to be too whacky and silly so that's out. Let's take a look then......

I'd probably have to say something like The Gentle Ladies Tea and Monstroucity Destroying & Quilting Circle (in which all pcs are female, terribly polite, and facing a monster apocalypse of rediculous proportions with pluck and resolve), Witness the Murder of your Father and be Ashamed, Young Prince (in which the pcs are a group of princes, all heir to the throne trying to decide who should inherit with a one hour real time time limit or else the demon turns up to claim the kingdom as it's own due to a dodgey deal the king did years ago), or quite possibly Busty Barbarian Bimbos in which the pc's are basically "all those cheesecake girls from fantasy rpg cover art". They are complete with impractical equipment, ditzy personalities and run a female dominated society in which monsters and difficulties are not overcome in the traditional manly manner but by using very tongue in cheek feminine approaches. Be warned, gender based humour abounds.

One of the unusual things in Busty Barbarian Bimbos is that an Initiative Check is a check and so the Bimbos can fail it. Failing an initiative check means that that particular bimbo got distracted by something shiny, momentarily forgot what she was doing or just couldn't get her act together to do anything on that particular turn.

Monsters use a One Stat system. What does this mean? Well a Dragon might be Dragon (Dragoning 5), a Bandit might be something like Bandit (Thuggery 3) and so on. If the npc does something that it's one stat clearly relates to then it uses that value. If it does something it's one stat does not relate to it uses a default value of 2. Since all stats range from 2-6 a 2 is bad.

Day 12

Old games that I still read or play

Since everyone only seems to want to play Pathfinder at the moment I'm probably going to have to say Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay & Cursed Empire. Cursed Empire is a particular bane of my gaming habbits. I bought it, found it to be incomplete (and incredibly badly written). In fact, it references monster stats in chapter 13 despite the fact that there are only 9 chapters in the book (and the monster stats in chapter 6 or 7 don't include the ones it's referring to either). In fact, if you want to run it even remotely properly then you need to get the 1st edition paperback (Crimson Empire) which has a massive set of monster stat blocks in the back.

The setting's reasonably good. The scenarios that were written for it are really good. The published adventures are reasonably good too. Unfortunately the rules are just bad. It's basically Runequest 3rd edition with house rules (the house rules being imposing a bad approximation of the AD&D 1st edition levelling system onto a skill based system, the magic system from Ars Magica/Daggerfall/Morrowind and a load of other stuff including mashing up the combat rules from Runequest, Elric, Stormbringer, AD&D 1st edition initiative system and something else I haven't quite worked out yet to create a particularly unwieldy combat system). It has 156 skills on the character sheets including many redundant duplicates that will probably never get sued and were clearly put in there to appease some French fans who truly wanted a rule for everything so the rules could dominate their haracter's psychology rather than actually having to make stuff up and roleplay. Apparently there's some French philosophy of roleplaying that translates to English as "the rules make my character concept. My character concept does not shape how the rules are used" or some such twaddle.

So why do I want to play Cursed Empire?

Well originally I ordered it. I waited an inordinate amount of time, sent some angry messages etc and finally got my stuff only to find that I'd then need to get the earlier bits just to make this clunky game work. I got to meet the author and he's a really nice guy. He's a great gm. He really is. He just unfortunately cannot write a good set of rules to save his life. I've ran a handful of  sessions of the game. My players slaughtered pretty much anything that they met, revelling in the one hit kills they were delivering. Then came the day they finally rolled low for initiative and they discovered they were just as prone to those one hit kills as the foes they had been slaughtering (it's a really vicious and unforgiving combat system). We played a little bit more and then they managed a total party whipeout (blew up half the party, the other half murdered imperial agents and ran away to be outlaws).

Haven't really played it since. The author's pretty much stopped producing anything publicly and te game has died a death but there's still a massive sense of unfulfilled longing. Two or three times a year I get the urge to bring it out, look at it, imagine running a game. This yearning will go on for a few weeks and every time so far I've managed to avoid imposing it on anyone. I'd like to run a few adventures of it just to get some sense of completion. It's probably not going to happen any time soon 'though.

#87 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

Most memorable character death

I can blame Martin for this one. Picture, if you will, a hostage situation in SpaceMaster. Martin is inside our ship, which is currently sitting on a planet. I'm outside the ship, being held with a gun to my head by the badguy who is demanding that Martin comes out with his hands up. He's serious and seems to hold all the cards. It's a tense standoff, but options are limited.

Then I see movement in the ship's turret: Martin is warming up the meson cannons and other shipboard weaponry. The last thing I hear over my communicator is, "Don't worry, I think I can pick him off over your shoulder," before the cannon blast vaporises everything within a 50m burst radius...

#88 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Day 13

Most memorable character death

Does it need to be my own?

I GM a fair bit so most of the character deaths that I witness tend not to be mine. Here's one that really stands out 'though. Back when AD&D 3rd edition came out (and they not so subtly dropped the A) myself and a bunch of friends made our first ever third edition characters to try out the system. Okay, so we converted over a lot of our favourite 2nd ed characters but we didn't really play them very much to begin with. Instead we made some brand new starting characters to get to grips with the rules.

I, of course, played a dwarven fighter (I honestly can't remember his name nor the names of any of the other characters involved). We played a few small adventures and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. During those early sessions I proved that dwarfs in 3rd ed don't get killed. They can die of natural causes but violence just doesn't do it (if I'm playing them).

As we were becoming comfortable with the rules we hit third level then one of the players who doesn't often gm asked for a chance to do so. He's an okay guy (but tends towards a more unforgiving gm style, he likes to run Shadowrun). Our small party of adventuring heroes stopped by the roadside one evening in winter. A group of fellow travellers camped with us for the evening, we sat around the campfire, shared stories, ate, drank were merry, and eventually went to sleep. When we awoke we found that these fellow travellers had robbed us in our sleep. They had taken all our money and our weapons. we set about tracking them down to exact vengeance and things went bad.

For some reason one of our party members (I think he was the cleric) broke a leg. I believe it was either a bear trap or a nasty fall. So we put him on a stretcher made from some branches and rope. The tracks lead across a frozen lake. Sensing that this could be quite dangerous my fighter and the party cleric removed our armour and our shields to push them across the ice in front of us. The theory behind this was that by spreading our weight across the ice we'd be less likely to break it than by concentrating it all in one place.

So there we were, crawling across the frozen lake, painfully slowly, pushing the stretcher with our injured comrade upon it and pushing our armour and shields. Two thirds of the way across the ice cracked. The stretcher fell through along with our injured companion bound to it and the party rogue who'd been helping drag the stretcher across the ice. Along in tumbled both suits of armour and both shields as well. My dwarf who was crawling behind the stretcher dived bravely into the water and rescued our injured companion before he drowned, hauling him and the sodden stretcher from the water. He also helped our unfortunate knave clamber out as well. Then  my brave dwarf dived into the water. He swam all the way down to the murky bottom and recovered one shield. He swam up and heaved it out onto the ice before successfully diving for the second shield. He dived a third time and recovered the cleric's suit of armour while his own still lay at the bottom of the lake.

A fourth time he dived, intent on recovering his own armour. He experienced some difficulty getting down to it but clasped it firmly in his grip and began the difficult ascent back to the surface. A handful of failed swimming checks later and he banged he appeared to have drifted sideways somewhat. When he finally broke the surface he banged his head on the ice a few yards away from the hole, knocked himself out and drowned all while the others sat shuddering on the ice with hypothermia setting in as they watched the current carrying his body away.

He did not get killed. He died. No monster or npc was involved in his brave selfless sacrifice. There were no hurt feelings. It was a good death.

Interestingly the others managed to get his body out of the river later and the rogue ended up using it as a "human shield" (albeit a rather short and deceased one) that actually saved him from two crossbow bolts. Yeah, those scoundrels were a really nasty unrepentant piece of work.

#89 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Day 13: From Sandy's RQIII Campaign Log. Harpies flying overhead, dropping (poisonous) dung on us. Jaranx the shaman fumbles his Dodge roll. Sandy rules he took one down the gullet.

#90 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

Day 13: From Sandy's RQIII Campaign Log. Harpies flying overhead, dropping (poisonous) dung on us. 

Yep. That sounds like Runquest alright.

#91 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Day 13 => in college we played a game set in Planescape using GURPS. The party was my Tiefling swashbuckler, a shapeshifting devil man, a Gith Dustman acid Mage, a human thief and an elf cleric.

We were crossing the river Styx with its memory wiping water and there was a splash and the elf was soaked. The GM took his character sheet, erased a lot of stuff, handed it back and said "last thing you remember you were an adolescent heading home from "elf school". Now you are on a boat surrounded by creepy demon mercenaries and a human huddled under a towel."

The elf drew down and there was a tense confrontation as we tried to tell him about our adventures together.

He looks over his sheet, his eyes get wide and he asks the GM "do I know the water is dangerous?" The GM had not erased his swim skill.

He dove in, made one final roll, forgot how to breathe and drowned.

#92 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

So, how many other people around here are feverishly hoping that @TheGlen will show up in two weeks' time, to answer the questions for the 26th, 28th and 29th? :)

#93 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Day 14: I think it was my first or second game convention. I'm still a newbie, and have just purchased all three volumes of The Arduin Grimoire. I've just completed the purchase when a voice from behind me says, "would you like me to sign those?" Not having a clue who this is, I agree. The man signs them all, and I thank him and walk away. Later I see that the signature is "Dave Hargrave".

The final irony is that I never actually played Arduin, the group I was in switched to RuneQuest II shortly after the con. Those books are still sitting on my shelf.

#94 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Days 14 & 15 are boring from me. I have never made any conventions. I've planned to get to gencon "next time" since 1998 but no joy.

#95 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

14. Best Convention Purchase

15. Favourite Convention Game

Probably my best convention buy was the stack of games I picked up from Richard Tucholka at the Tri-Tac Games booth, GenCon 1992. Had it not been for a lack of luggage space I'd probably have bought one of everything he had (as it was it took me a few years to get hold of the other major RPG books from Tri-Tac and I never did pick up more of their microgames). Mr Tucholka very generously swapped one of his his games for one of the author's copies of TWERPS Twek I had with me.

Although I've played in a few memorable games at conventions I'd probably say that my favourite convention game is actually one I didn't play in that setting: The Chamax Plague for Traveller. "The Chamax Plague was first playtested at the Chicago Wargamers Association Spring Game Fest on April 4th 1981" says the introduction. Publishing convention or tournament games seems to have been a lot more common in the late seventies and eighties, or at least it was common for quite big releases to be tournament modules as with many TSR adventures. The Chamax Plague fits the typical convention slot nicely and is full of opportunities to escalate the tension and danger, leading to everything from a memorable brown trouser experience to a full TPK.

#96 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Later I see that the signature is "Dave Hargrave".

One of the largely forgotten figures of gaming these days, sadly, despite being quite prolific in his too-short life. When I started gaming there always seemed to be a certain mystique around Arduin, a sense that it was D&D with a more "punk rock" attitude, something edgy and forbidden, although these days I suspect that much of that was down to the books being relatively hard to find in the UK. When I finally read a couple of Arduin books I was a bit disappointed, probably expecting too much.

#97 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Day 15: This isn't an RPG: "Raid Over Dunfey"** was a multi-player variant of Avalon Hill's B-17 (which is normally a solitaire game). There are six squadrons of (I think) six planes each, and there's a squadron leader and wing leaders, and an actual map with cloud cover where we marked where we dropped our bombs. Lots of fun, lots of planes getting damaged or lost, planes returning with horrific damage, horrible crew loss, and the suspence of landing safely or crash-landing. Really enjoyable.

** The Dunfey Hotel was in San Mateo, CA, and hosted Pacificon (held on Labor Day).

Day 15 (alternate): Another non-RPG: "Chariot Races" was a simulation based on the chariot race from "Ben Hur". The racetrack diorama was a full 8-10 feet long, with actual chariot miniatures (including minis of wrecked chariots and charioteer being dragged behind the horse team).

#98 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:38 AM

I just wrote a really good post on days 14&15 and my computer crashed before I could hit post. I'm really not in the mood to write it now but I'll be back later to make up for that tragic loss.

#99 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

16. Game you wished you owned

17. Funniest game you've played

16. There have been a few over the years, some of which I've eventually managed to get and, perhaps inevitably, found lacking. These days the only game truly on my wish list is the TSR boxed set of Empire of the Petal Throne. EPT is still a wonderful game, with enough in the original set to provide for years of play. Mind you, I already own several copies of the rules in reprint versions and the original maps, so perhaps it's more accurate to say that it's an edition I wish I owned, rather than being a game I don't have.

17. Funniest game? I'm not entirely sure I can say, but I can tell you that it wasn't a deliberately funny system. They rarely deliver on the promise of humour, in my experience. I've had some real belly laughs from all sorts of games, including Chivalry & Sorcery and Traveller, but if I must pick one it's probably Call of Cthulhu. Amidst all the unspeakable horror, imminent violence and constant peril I've more than once been caught up in a series of botched dice rolls and panicky decisions leading to utter disaster and absolute, side-splitting, oh-my-god-I-can't-breathe hilarity.

#100 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Day 14

Best Convention Purchase

This would have to be twelve sided d4's (numbered from 1-4 thrice). Unlike traditional four siders they actually roll when they land (instead of just flopping down with a minor chance of flipping over onto another side) and, most importantly,  more caltrop pains for me :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge