#61 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Got a little tangled with the students yesterday so I need to play catch up :)

Day 7 - Favourite Character.

This is a hard one. I am going to take it as one of my characters and I am going to say that it was my character Mirra from my long running game of Rolemaster many a moon ago before I started committing everything to audio (which is a shame). She started out as a High Warrior Monk and was extremely adept at punching and kicking her way through problems. She has a dangerous and fatal curiosity to the point that she would rather try to start a conversation with monsters that fight them. I had a list on the back of my character sheet of monsters I had chatted with. This curiosity led to more than a few scouting missions with or without the party knowledge and during one of those she got into a fight and had to survive a few rounds without party back up.

During the fight she was subject to a Rune of Cruel Blinding which essentially removed her eyes as if she had never had any. On the plus side, she was a High Warrior Monk and got the skill Spatial Location Awareness really cheap and already had it at a pretty decent level so she was not a dead loss in combat and spent a very long time completely blind and still effective in the party. 

The party were no where near the level required to regrow eyes so I settled in to be blind for the long haul. In a particularly deep and dank dungeon I stumbled onto an intelligent sword, crafted for thieves in the ancient times. We spoke and it was drawn to my innate curiosity and need to explore and we made a deal. It would show me how to become a master Thief and I would take it on my travels.

At that point my class changed and I started picking up Thief skills. The sword was aware of its surroundings and acted as my eyes when it was needed.

We had many high adventures and it was awesome :P

Hal :hal:

#62 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Day 9 - Favourite Dice

I do actually have a favourite pair of dice. They are a pair of clear blue and clear green die that I use only for Rolemaster. Blue is always the tens. :)

If you have listened to the Rolemaster games you may have heard mention of them :P

#63 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Day 8

Favourite character

Probably Nemien Callishan

assistant bookshopkeeper's apprentice or apprentice bookshopkeeper's assiatant

her job title was never finalised

Nemien Callishan was a fragile little creature of about five foot nothing (on a good day). She was also of elven descent but could pass for human without trying - and try she did, ever so hard. In the land of Argyle there was a lot of racial tension (the humans had enslaved all the "lesser races" who had now thrown off the shackles of oppression and consequently nobody really liked any of the other races very much). Being of mixed race dissent was an incredible taboo. So much so that the elves sent any half elves to live in a particular ghetto village to breed out the elf blood for the sake of elven racial purity.

So poor little Nem, fourth generation half elf (and practically human) grew up among likewise cross blooded individuals in a village full of craftsmen and traders. Her father was a travelling merchant (and entirely human) while her mother was the village weaver. Little Nemien loved to study. Her lessons at school helped her escape from the aches and pains of normal every day life and she eventually ended up helping out the village's aging book shop keeper (and his other apprentice/assistant - once again, in such a small village the hierarchy wasn't very distinguished).

While working at the bookshop she discovered an ancient spellbook and began to study it quietly when there were no customers about. Consequently she learned a great deal from this ancient tome. It was a big clunky 1st edition style spellbook, almost half as big as she was, and she gobbled it up voraciously. In fact, she considered magic to be an addiction (it was another taboo subject in the land of Argyle) and would go for days without using a single spell because she had to master her addiction.

She had a massive inferiority complex. Massive. Called everyone sir and ma'm instead of using their names, looked at her feet, shuffled her feet, tried to avoid being pulled into things because she didn't think she'd be much help. She'd much rather be tucked away with a good book or drawing a pretty picture and that actually leads to something else. Art.

In her teens one of the young lads from the village who went by the name of Cedren Caris took a bit of a shine to her. He was an aspiring artist of some considerable talent who asked her parents permission to paint her portrait. So she'd sit and read while he painted and they'd chat away but she never really realised quite how into her he was. She was too engrossed in her studies. Eventually he got frustrated at the lack of romance and took to drinking heavily. He sold the painting to a passing trader and never touched paint nor brush again.

Poor little Nemien was devastated. She truly believed that she had to set things right. So she went off into the world on a mighty quest to recover the painting and bring it back so that she could persuade Cedren to finish his work and restore the fine artistic talent that she had robbed form the world. She never did find that painting although she got into rather a lot of highly enjoyable adventures as a result of her search :).

Day 9

Pretty sure I've posted these pictures before. Here are some (but not all) of my dice. I have a few favourites but not many. The 3d6 that came with the Dragon Age boxed set (box 1) are amazing. They might not roll high but they roll more doubles and trebbles than any other set of 3d6 I've ever rolled. So much so that my players have even banned me from using them upon occasion :).

The box is beautiful but it won't quite fit.

db2.jpg

db4.jpg

db6.jpg

#64 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Day 7: I don't really own many RPG books and none are really that "intellectual".

Day 8: Favorite Character is probably the shape-shifting gnomish druid, Trelin, that I played for Rise of the Runelords, or what we managed to get through. I definitely liked the Pathfinder take on gnomes as needing to experience new things all the time. He was always shifting into new stuff or trying new things like walking on the ceiling just because. He even tried the hagfish water from that bar in Riddleport. Didn't work so well. What made him so favorite however is the crowning moment. We played when Pathfinder was new so we used some 3.5 stuff, like the Spell Compendium. Trelin picked up a spell called Body of the Sun, which wreathed him with a damaging aura of fire. So, picture a bunch of ogres going to smash wee little gnome when suddenly gnome is a giant bear and then wreathed in flames that damages them when they get near. If we had continued on our banner was going to be a flaming bear.

Day 9: A nice block of mini d6 that are milky/iridescent purple with white pips. I acquired them for a Star Wars d6 game I played where the GM liked running games for vastly overpowered characters. It was quite common for characters to have 2-3 skills with 10 dice in them.

#65 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

Favourite novel / game fiction:

It's tempting to mention John Eric Holmes' The Maze of Peril, which is in some ways the most D&Dish book ever written, but although it's a fun little romp it's not exactly a great book. No, I think I'll stick with Flamesong, the second of M.A.R. Barker's novels set on TĂ©kumel. Religion, politics, magic and ancient technology, with a career soldier stuck in the middle of it, trying to hold his displaced group together and get home with an important prisoner. It has a bit more zip to it than the earlier The Man of Gold and feels like a pulp adventure spiced up with the addition of a solid and functioning background world. 

#66 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

Do the leadup books to Baldur's Gate count?

Just wanted to say I loved reading about everyones favorite characters. Some real cool ones out there.

#67 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Day 10

Favourite game related literature

Probably going to have to be the first six Dragonlance novels for me. I came across them all before actually playing any of the games. Chronicles were good. Legends were good (but a different kind of good). The Tales trilogy felt like dredging the barrel a bit. I gather they wrote a whole lot more than those nine but that the quality deteriorated significantly as time went on.

There's other tie in novels that I really like but none bring back that happy feeling of nostalgia and childhood memories that the Dragonlance ones do.

#68 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'm a bit behind so here's my catch up post

Day 7: I don't really own any 'intellectual' rpgs so I'll have to pass on this one

Day 8: Favorite Character: This is a tough one since I tend to have so many ideas that I bounce around from character to character. I am going to have to go with the one I played in WEG's d6 Star Wars system. His name was Pheonix Sunstar and it was my first time in that system (and the gm had about as many house rules as Hal does for Rolemaster). It was very early in my roleplaying and I think it was the first time I really got into a character rather than just looking at them as a bunch of stats.

Day 9: I've never really been one of those that gets particularly attached to a specific die or set of dice. I usually roll a bunch at the start of a session and pick from the ones that "feel lucky" for that game.

Day 10: I'll have to go with Ed Greenwood's Elminster: the Making of a Mage which details the early years of one of the Forgotten Realm's most famous characters.  There are lots of books that are probably better written but that one has a special place for me since I read it when I was in high school and it pretty much led me to try RPGs in the first place.

Well that's me caught up I guess. See ya'll tomorrow :)

#69 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Day 7 - I don't go in for 'intelletual' RPGs. I'd correct that typo, but it seems perfect like that.

Day 8 - Favorite character - Rheen Firbranil, near-sighted wood elf barbarian who left his tribe as a youngster to join up with a travelling show consisting largely of half orcs and half elves. Quick to punch or intimidate anything smaller than a troll. Basically Tyler Durden with pointy ears.

Day 9 - Favorite dice - My brother-in-law (I think) gave my wife and I three pairs of d6es, plastic, but one pair coated in copper, one pair in silver, and one pair in gold.

Day 10 - Favorite tie-in fiction - the various Volo's Guide to ... books.

#70 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

"Rheen Firbranil, what do your elf-eyes see?"

:)

#71 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:14 AM

*derisive snort*

*obscene gesture*

*wanders off looking for whiskey*

#72 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

Re: Day 10, favorite gaming-related book - Gonna have to say Paul Kidd's Greyhawk trilogy, well written and featuring a fantastic cast of characters, including the grim-faced Justicar and his lovable sentient hellhound pelt Cinders; the sprightly miniature sex bomb Escalla the Fairy; Polk the ex-teamster that was Reincarnated as a talking badger; Enid the Sphinx; and Henry the Human Fighter. Good times.

If we had continued on our banner was going to be a flaming bear.

If Mor'kil still frequented the site, he'd probably approve. ;)

#73 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Catching Up Again :

Day 10 - Favourite Tie In Novel

I like a lot of the DnD literature - particularly the Forgotten Realms stuff but I have a soft spot for the book Drachenfels by Jack Yeovil, that ties into the Warhammer Fantasy game. It has vampires that are not necessarily evil and who have terribly long names (Genevieve Sandrine du Pointe du Lac DieudonnĂ©). I has mutants. It has witch hunts and stabbing and gore. All round a pretty decent read :)

Day 11 - Weirdest RPG

I have a few weird games. Noblis, Toon, Skyrealms of Jorune, Tank Girl RPG, Og, Kobolds Ate My Baby....

Hal :)

#74 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

By the way, did anyone remember to observe Read RPGs In Public Week? Maybe one of the admins could add it to the calendar for the next time it rolls around, from September 28th to October 4th, so people will be reminded to flaunt their geek in public.

#75 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

But I do it all year round... :)

#76 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Weirdest RPG... Is the concept of pretending to be an elf not inherently weird enough?

I'll dismiss the ones that try just a bit too hard to be deliberately kitchen-sink weird, like HOL, and flip a coin between: Ninja Burger, where you're a group of ninja in a fast-food franchise attempting to deliver the food before honour demands that you kill yourself for tardiness; and Lords of Creation, Tom Moldvay's distinctly strange multi-dimensional game of seemingly ordinary people who are ultimately elevated to the point where they can create their own realities, meeting up with mythic and fictional characters along the way. One minute you're solving a murder mystery, the next you're being pursued by the Wild Hunt or racing through the radioactive ruins of post-holocaust Akron, Ohio. Such a pity the planned five adventure series only reached number three before Avalon Hill canned the project. 

Let's plump for Lords of Creation. I've a soft spot for it and it does an interesting job of building on the original D&D style of gaming.

#77 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Ahhh Ninja Burger - quite awesome and something I need to run a one off of I feel :P

I guess My Life With Master kind of falls into the weird category as well :P And its quite lovely :D

Oh and one other for the pile that I have. A Flower for Mara - an interesting game where the players take on the role of people who knew a girl called Mara who just died. The rules make it more like a stage play than an RPG. It is an interesting concept however.

#78 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Day 10 => Dragonlance Chronicles looms large over my youth but I think Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series about a gaming group hopping worlds may be my favorite. Gotrek and Felox is hot too.

Day 11 => HoL is pretty far out there as is Over the Edge. Diana Warrior Princess is a funny conceit for its weirdness. I think Over the Edge takes this one too. The Throckmortons are about the weirdest power group ever.

#79 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Ooooh - Over the Edge and Diana: Warrior Princess :D Both excellent choices for weird :)

#80 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

Day 11, similar to the intellectual rpg I don't really have any "weird" rpgs either. (suddenly I'm feeling my gaming library is in need of expansion)

Day 12, currently I don't play much other than Pathfinder but I do look longingly at the rolemaster pdfs (the ones released by ICE as "Rolemaster Classic" I believe it counts as an old rpg even though they updated it a little).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge