170 replies to this topic

#41 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Regained the rights, really. They had lapsed without Chaosium using them as intended, which is why the first version of the new Glorantha game was called HeroWars instead.

Interesting. Thanks for the information there.

#42 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

So let's see... Day 3

First RPG purchased... Since Heroquest was a Christmas present I'd have to say Fighting Fantasy book 3 - Forest of Doom :).

I'd like to share a small story with you all. Back in the late 1980's when I was a young lad of nine or ten I was reluctantly dragged off on a school trip to Lulworth Cove. It was a dull and rainy day and other than the beautiful view (wich we didn't really appreciate with our sniffs and colds) the event would not have been eventful were it not for the fact that we stopped by a little newsagent's stand before leaving. I was cold, tired, hungry, and I desparately wanted something to read to alleviate the boredom.

On the little rotating rack of books was a paperback called Fighting Fantasy book 3, Forest of Doom. The image on the cover struck a cord with me and the standard Fighting Fantasy blurb on the back immediately made me think of all the classic stories, fairytales and folk tales of my youth and the chance to lvie them vicariously through the imagination of the book's authors but with my own creativity being thrown into the mix was too good to pass up on. It was only 20 pence and as luck would have it I had the exact change on me and not a penny more. I bought that book and began reading it in the knackered old school minibus as it rattled along those Hampshire roads back to school.

Over the intervening decades I have become an avid gamer and fan of the fantastical but I'll always have a fond soft spot for the many gamebooks I've come across over the years be they Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Way of the Tiger, Golden Dragon, Tunnels & Trolls or any other number of series's I may have neglected to mention. But there'll always be a soft spot for Forest of Doom, my first adventure into the world of Fighting Fantasy.

Day 4 Most recent rpg purchase

According to me records that would be a preorder for Dragon Age box 3. There were a few other recent purchases but they predate it ever so slightly :).

Day 5 Most Old School rpg owned.

Technically I think that would either be Grimtooth's Traps Too (complete with it's blue cover), the Dungeons & Dragons basic purple box (complete with B2, not a facsimile) or something else. I reinforced the cover of B2 with sellotape (essentially laminating it) years ago in case it started to fall apart. That adventure's seen a lot of use over the years.

Are we talking oldest product here or the most old school style product? If so then I've got a bunch of Chivalry & Sorcery stuff (think a bizarre AD&D/Rolemaster/Runequest hybrid with a level based magic system that really threw game balance out the window by trying to port the AD&D spells into a skill based rolemaster/runequest style system). I've also got a handful of Runequest 3rd ed stuff (Avallon Hill core rulebook, the Games Workshop british edition with more artwork and slightly less content) a considerable ammount of Middle Earth Roleplay (the 1st edition boxed set with it's two d20's numbered from 1-10 twice, the 2nd ed "collector's edition" with all those Liz Danforth illustrations), one or two sourcebooks.... A massive collection of issues of White Dwarf from when it was good. You know, pre issue 180 ish. Mostly in the 70-140 range (with a handful of the old ones which often included roleplaying scenarios for WFRP, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, Judge Dread, Runequest etc, even a few AD&D 1st edition adventures).

I've got City Book 2 - Deadly Nightside by Flying Buffalo publishing. It was a system free setting book (similar to how Grimtooth's traps were system free). Probably got some other old stuff knocking about as well. I've got the new Elric game inside the old Stormbringer box (with some large maps and a handful of old Stormbringer character sheets someone had filled in years before I got hold of it).

Day 6

Favourite RPG I never got to play.

That's a tough one. It's looking like either Hill Folk (the Drama System) or Kingdom of Nothing (the game in which you play homeless people and use piles of spare change to keep track of stats and to randomise instead of using dice. You can ask for help by asking if you've got any spare change and players can assist you by giving you some of their coins & narrating how they help out in the situation such as giving you a leg up to climb over the wall or holding the dodgey wire back in the telephone so you can make that all important phone call from the vandalised phone box).

Blood Red Sands (described by the author as "Heavy Metal Samurai") comes close. It's a very Conan kind of game in which the bunch of heroes are crossing the desert/blasted wastes to reach the palace/tower of the sorceror king and throw him down. It's rediculous testosterone fueled nonsense in which one character is removed from the quest at the end of each act because in the end there can only be one. Players who's characters have been vanquished do not leave the game but, rather, serve to make the quest harder for the remaining heroes. It's a massive pdf 'though. Something like 400 pages and I haven't even read it properly yet.

Should we all get together and do a sort of day 6 club thing where we get together and try out some of the games on the day 6 list?

#43 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Day 5: Well, I don't really have any old school stuff and after reading all of your posts I never knew there was so much out there. I was late to the nerd realm of rpging, only getting into it in college. I had heard of it before of course, I just didn't know anyone that was into it and didn't know where I could get my hands on anything. Well, no where close that is.

Day 6: Despite my love for In Nomine, I'd actually like to play some Exalted and have an excuse to get another book or two of that. Storyteller kung-fu anime? Sure, I'd love to! Extra points for describing an insanely awesome move? Sounds cool to me. I've heard the system suffers a bit from the each new book ups the power over the previous one syndrom, which is a little sad when the first books are supposed to be for the ultimate heroes of the world, but I still like it.

#44 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Woops! I've fallen behind on this and it looks great. Let's see...

1. First RPG Played.

I'm going to have to be boring and say D&D 3E. In my defense, it was waaaay back in primary school. My friend had a birthday party, just the five of us, and his dad had recently introduced him to it. So we all played while his dad GMed. We played the 3E adventure 'The Sunless Citadel', which I believe is hanging around in the RPGMP3 archive somewhere. I played a Gnome Rogue, whose name escapes me now, but I still vividly remember how new and strange it all was, and also how ridiculously exciting. I remember the very first damage I ever received, when we failed to check a door for traps and I took a spike of wood through the arm. Of course, we had very little idea how the rules worked, being so young. But it didn't really matter, Mike's dad realised this and just rolled with what we wanted to do.

2. First RPG Gamemastered

Actually, the same game! Mike's dad just didn't have time to run sessions for us, as his business was taking off at that point. So he asked me, being the actor-y one, if I could take over. I was so excited, and also so intimidated, as from the player's side of the DM screen it all looked so complicated and serious. The first thing he told me was how much fun it is to roll dice randomly to freak out your players, something I still do when I play in person! We never finished thatt adventure, and we went on a log hiatus that lasted at least 6 years, but when I returned to the game, this time to stay, it was the same group of friends that I took up the adventurer's mantle with.

3. First RPG Purchased.

That'd be the 3.5e Player's Handbook, bought in my second year of University off ebay, for a modest price. I wanted my own. So I got it.

4. Most Recent RPG Purchase.

The Interactive Maps PDF for Wrath of the Righteous from Paizo. SO useful for someone running a Roll20 campaign, you can copy the player versions right into GIMP, and then from there slap bang onto the virtual tabletop. Amazeballs.

5. Most Old School RPG Owned.

I guess the Dungeon Crawl Classic module 'The Dragonfiend Pact'. I technically owned this before my 3.5 Handbook, by quite a long time, but it was bought for my brother, not myself, and passed to me when he lost all interest in the game. I've never run it with anyone, simply not gotten around to it, but it seems quite a nifty little adventure, with a lot of messing about with being shrunk, which looks interesting! Who knows, maybe it'll make an appearance with the Internet Explorers!

6. Favourite RPG Never Get to Play

My experience with RPGs isn't as comprehensive as most people on this site. I've primarily played 3/3.5E D&D and Pathfinder, but I am slowly expanding my range. We played a bit of CoC here, of course, and back in Uni we started playing the Mask of Nyarlathotep but never got to finish it. We also started a Warhammer RPG which never really went anywhere. But I think what I'd love to have a try at (mainly due to the excellent webcomic weregeek) is Shadowrun. Just cos. It looks really fricking cool. Not so much a new system, but also I once saw the setting Midnight on my friend's shelf and thought that looked pretty cool! 

#45 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

... The first thing he told me was how much fun it is to roll dice randomly to freak out your players, something I still do when I play in person! ...

You know, just rolling randomly in Roll20 would probably have the same effect. Just make sure it is visible to the players.

#46 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Ah, see I always do my rolls as GM rolls! So it'd be odd for my players if suddenly rolls started coming up on the chat. GM rolls mean

Spoiler

#47 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Well if you fudge that way can't you just fudge and quickly say to them "Ignore that roll. Mis-typed."? Of course you couldn't do that too often, maybe once every other session or so if that frequently.

#48 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

Day 6: Favourite RPG I Never Get To Play

While my favourite RPG is Rolemaster and I rarely get to play it, I have played it within memory of this post so I am going to say Amber as my favourite RPG I never get to play. Mostly this is because to truly enjoy the game you have to have a group that has all read the novels to really understand what is happening.

It has to be one of my favourite systems for character creation out there as well :)

Hal :hal:

#49 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Day 6, favourite RPG I never get to play...

That would be this cuddly little chap:

Bunnies_and_burrows_zps4578547a.jpg

Best I've managed is to run the bunnies sequence in S L I D EWAYS.

#50 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

In my defense, it was waaaay back in primary school.

Oh. My. God. That's not making me feel any younger! elder-smiley.gif

#51 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Day 6: Rolemaster. I got a couple of people to try it once but then it fell apart after the first session (not due to the game, just real life intruding) and I haven't gotten anyone else to give it a try since then

#52 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

Day 6: Talislanta 4th ed. The big blue book was my traveling companion for a year on the road with work and I've still never gotten a session together.

#53 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Oooh - I have the 3rd edition of Talislanta on my shelf :)

Not a game I have played a lot but an interesting read :) That and Skyrealms of Jorune :) Another game I have hardly played but looks super interesting.

1384794241836.jpg

And Orkworld - I'd like to give that a try one day too :)

(looks at obscure shelf and sighs)

#54 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Day 7 - Most "Intellectual" RPG Owned

This is a hard one because, what the hell does 'intellectual' mean?

I am going to take is as meaning high brow and a bit complex :)

In that case I have two that fall well into that definition...

I have the first edition of Noblis...

nobilisrev.jpg

A lovely and very interesting book to read with some excellent ideas and concepts. Never managed to get anyone to play it.

The second one is Aria: Canticle of the Monomyth

200px-ARIARoleplaying.jpg

Again - no one has ever played this with me. I have generated a character for it once. The game is so 'intellectual' that it requires each character to generate their own magic system if they are a caster :)

I was think that BJB and I should start running one offs of the stuff we never get to play ;P

#55 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

If you did that for patrons I'm not sure if that would be a bonus... or a punishment. :D

#56 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

If you did that for patrons I'm not sure if that would be a bonus... or a punishment. :D

And the same could be said for the players...

Probably the most "intellectual" game I've owned was the famously impenetrable time-travelling RPG Continuum, which I no longer have because it sells for silly money so naturally enough I sold it. It's one of those things you find yourself looking at and trying to decide if it's utterly brilliant or simply so opaque that you're fooled into thinking it is.

#57 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

I was think that BJB and I should start running one offs of the stuff we never get to play ;P

I'd be up for it. I wasn't sure what they meant by intellectual either. Did they mean a high brow intellectual idea. A "concept rpg" if you will. Or did they mean one with rules so complicated that they really make the players think. Since day 24 is "most complicated" I'm going to go with Concept.

For Day 7 I'd be inclined to say Annalisse. Think of it as My Life With Master except that The Master is a Vampire. All of the pc's are victims of the vampire and they don't even know it yet. It's not a game about vampire hunting. It's a game about build up and suspense. As soon as the vampire is definitively revealed or someone stands up and says "alright guys, we're going to face up to this creature and take him down" then it enters into the End Game. It's all about atmosphere and anticipation.

KIngdom of Nothing is fun too. It's basically the movie The Fisher King (http://www.imdb.com/...9/?ref_=nv_sr_1) where all the player characters are homeless people. They exist outside normal society and struggle to rebuild their lives. It has a collaborative character creation system where you get to pick a name & description then pass your character sheet to the player to your left who'll write something, fold it over, then pass it on 'til it's come full circle.

Then the gm gets your character sheet, reads all the secrets that you don't know, keeps it, and you get to make a new sheet to play with.

The characters are struggling to piece together the fragments of their former lives. Interestingly enough monsters do exist in this game but only the homeless people can see them. Normal members of society cannot see the monsters or just ignore them. They might see some angry drunk homeless guy fighting an invisible foe and think nothing of it. The majority of the challenges are not monsters 'though. They're phone boxes, vending machines, climbing over walls to break into properties to get hold of important items that might help bring back memories.

There's also Reverse Dungeon (a TSR AD&D adventure from late 2nd edition clearly inspired by the Monsters Monsters supplement for Tunnels & Trolls or the Dungeon Keeper games of old (or probably both)). It did get into some rediculously high level stuff towards the back end but I suppose it deserves an honourable mention too.

#58 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Day 7 => I'm going to go with Over The Edge from Robin Laws and Jonathan Tweet. It's the most academically surrealist game I've seen and the "cut up" play style was a unique innovation.

#59 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

Right, losing track a bit... Where are we up to?

Day 8, favourite character: It might not surprise you that mine is Big Jack Brass. I rolled him up in the late nineties for a PBM game of Tunnels and Trolls being run by the game's creator, Ken St. Andre. Having gamed with Ken some years before in Arizona I was under no illusions as to the chances of Jack surviving, since we were heading deep into his infamous Gristlegrim dungeon; but survive he did and even had the distinction of becoming a Wandering Monster in Ken's dungeon for a time.

Day 9, dice: I've posted this picture before, I know.

DicePlus20_zpsa4a0c449.jpg

Gamescience Plus20 dice, twenty-siders with 0 to 9 repeated, in "old school" fashion, except that the second set have a small + in front of the digit, making it easy to use them as a d10 or a d20. I'm fond of all of the Gamescience dice, although I don't think that the quality has been maintained since Lou Zocchi sold the company (rumour has it that he's planning to emerge from retirement and buy them back). When I started gaming they were hands down the best dice available, pretty much the only ones you could be sure were fair and wouldn't crack or show serious signs of wear within a few weeks. That's no longer true, as the competition has grown and improved. Still my favourites though. Hard to find in the UK, but I've had good service from DiceShopOnline (who also sell the very reasonably priced Ugly Dice sets, but sadly don't seem to carry the Plus20 dice).

#60 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

Day 8 => my favourite character is my dwarf fighter and cigar merchant from the first D&D game (AD&D 2e) in college. Trevor "Ground Chuck" Faulkner. I did not have a regular group through high school and logistics were always hell. My best friend had a very detailed HS campaign world he brought along to college but no one had ever played a dwarf in it. We polished much of dwarf culture for that setting and learned that all dwarves receive adolescent nicknames of cuts of meat. Only some don't grow out of it.

Day 9 => I still have a white d20 and blue d12 d8 and d4 that were in my BECMI red box when I bought it used. Other dice treat me we'll but that d12 had kept me wielding a great axe for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge