#21 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

... before Chaosium bought the rights to use the name for what was essentially Runequest...

Regained the rights, really. They had lapsed without Chaosium using them as intended, which is why the first version of the new Glorantha game was called HeroWars instead.

#22 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Day 3: First RPG purchased was the AD&D 2nd edition player's handbook. I sank a lot of money into those books in a few short months. Then I discovered 3rd edition was coming and facepalmed. I wish I had kept them now but at the time I didn't see the point. I think I have a few of them left somewhere in storage but most of them were sold or given away years ago.

#23 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

1: Probably White Box D&D, can't really remember that far back....

2: RuneQuest II

3: White Box D&D

#24 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

1) red box BECMI D&D.
2) & 3)TSR's Marvel yellow basic box set.

#25 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Day 4: Most Recent RPG Purchase

I'd like to say that it was the DnD5e Starter Set that we are currently playing but I think because I have a subscription set up it was the last two books in the Mummy's Mask AP for Pathfinder (Slave Trenches of Hakotep and Pyramid of the Sky Pharaoh).

I have also recent made the purchase of a Duluth Clincher to check it's functionality as a dice bag and I am liking it so far. To the point that as I picked up an extra one I shall be designing and running a competition on the site to win one shortly :)

Hal :hal:

#26 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Since I realized I wasn't playing in any games I think the last RPG I purchased was the Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide... when it was rather new.

Kept me from spending too much money at least and I can always buy others down the road when I get my kids into roleplaying.

#27 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Day 4: I don't remember the specific module but it was definitely a pathfinder one.

#28 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Day 3 - First RPG purchase - a collection of AD&D 2nd ed. books from the used bookstore, although early enough that I had plenty of time to use them before 3rd ed. came out.

Day 4 - Most recent - FATE core pdf, kickstartered, I think. It might have been the Storm Hollow kickstarter. I don't buy much, and remembering kickstarter funding dates vs. completion dates (ie, not yet, for Storm Hollow) doesn't make it to the well-remembered category.

#29 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'm a bit behind here ...

Day 1 - Yep, the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks - I think the first was the Tower of Destruction - I got to face off against and banish a daemon prince with a magical ice-sword!

Day 2 - A blurry memory, I think it was possibly Aeon Trinity with a friend of mine over a weekend, but we both had characters and the role of GM was shared.

Day 3 - Again I'm not sure. Possibly Tunnles and Trolls - from a second hand bookstore in the sleeply town of Holmfirth (The Hollywood of Yorkshire).  I don't think I bought and Fighting Fantasy gamebooks for years - my local libraries were always well stocked - but I did buy Dungeoneer, Out of the Pit and Titan around that time too (good times...).

Day 4 - Paranoia through Bundle of Holding - plenty of enlightening GM tips there :blink:

#30 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Day4: PDF - orcs of thar. Physical - 5th ed D&D pre-orders

#31 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

Day 4: Most recent RPG purchase?

I, like, hal, am also a Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, so technically my most recent purchases were Volumes 5&6 of the Mummy's Mask Adventure Path. However, outside of that, I believe my most recent RPG purchase was The Lost City of Barakus Pathfinder setting/adventure by Frog God Games, through their kickstarter.

#32 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Day 5: Most old school rpg owned. Think the oldest physical book I have is an I.C.E. cyberpunk game called Cyberspace that I picked up in a yard sale just because I liked the cover art. Tried playing once but couldn't find enough players with interest. It wasn't until I was listening to the rolemaster games here for the second time that I realized it was made by the same company.

#33 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Day 5: Most Old School RPG Owned

I am not certain which is the old game I own either. But for Old School I am going to have to side with the large Rolemaster collection on my shelf which includes some of the 1st edition stuff. Just love me some Rolemaster :)

#34 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Day 5: Most Old School RPG Owned

Hm, the oldest or the most "old school"? Possibly first in both categories would be this little beauty:

TandTUKEdition_zps255461e3.jpg

That's the first UK edition of Tunnels & Trolls which combined the US second edition rules with the T&T supplement and added new art and the most seventies cover ever. At least two of the early solo adventures were released in matching editions, but sadly I don't have those and almost certainly couldn't afford them if they came up for sale now: T&T prices have really climbed in the past couple of years.

#35 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Ooooh - very nice :)

Fancy pants :)

#36 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

And it was free! Chris Harvey gave it to me when he was closing down Flying Buffalo UK.

#37 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Ooooh :) The man with the old school contacts :)

I like that :D

#38 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I got nothing on that T&T. That's beautiful.

I still have modules B2, X1, S1 and S3 I grew up with and a 1st ed of warhammer fantasy. Those always feel the oldest out of my collection.

#39 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Day 5: Most Old School RPG Owned?

Tricky tricky. Purely by publication dates, the 1st ed AD&D Players Handbook, picked up on a whim at a second-hand bookstore, probably wins out. That being said, I have to admit, I don't pay nearly enough attention to reading systems I'm not currently playing as I should. I will also mention that I have the Player's and Monster&Treasure book for Castles & Crusades, mentioning it because, though a newer system, I believe it's intention is to have an old school play style and feel to it.

#40 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

Day 5 - Most Old School RPG Owned - Runequest Deluxe Edition (1984) edit: technically, it's the two copies of B2, Keep on the Borderlands (I lost the first one for a while, replaced it, and then found it again), but that seems more 'timeless' than 'old school' to me.

Day 6 - All of them! It's tough to find a game in a country where you're not a native speaker. Lately, though, I've had a couple of Shadowrun character concepts that I'd really like to try out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge