Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hey folks,

You may have noticed a hashtag floating about the net today, #RPGaDay. It was started as an idea over on the Autocratik blog that during the month of August (GenCon month) gamers should answer questions from a set list.

%23RPGaDAY.jpg

I was thinking it might make a nice forum thread :)

So question 1 for August 1st is First Game Played? GO!

Hal :hal:

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

And to prove that I am totally crazy and talking to myself... :)

The first game I ever played was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay First Edition somewhere in the 80s. It was also the first game I ever GMed (though that is jumping ahead to tomorrows question). In fact, I GMed before I ever played - which I think is kind of a screwy way to do it but I grew up far from major cities and no one I knew in my home told did this and someone had to do it.

A few months after we started playing, one of my friends decided they would like to try so they ran the Oldenhaller Contract - an adventure I have played about 400 gazillion times :) In fact - I am sure we have a version of it recorded around here somewhere :)

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

Day 1: First RPG Played?

What a difficult question. I suppose the answer it wants me to say is D&D 3.5, which was the first published RPG system that I played with, first sitting in a session of an ongoing campaign as a very excitable teenager (who, looking back, I facepalm a little thinking of how that went) played a pregenned Gnome Sorcerer (all the magic missiles), then a few nights later rolling up my own Human Fighter for a living Greyhawk session.

That being said, long before that, I was involved in freeform RP games on play-by-post forums. Again, facepalming, devolving into arguments about godmodding every couple weeks, but nevertheless, it was a basis that really sparked the interest which would grow into having RPGs as the hobby it is now to me.

#4 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Technically the first game I played was a World of Darkness LARP but I mostly just followed my buddy around and tried not to look confused. After that I got into tabletop (WoD again briefly) then DnD (2nd edition) is where I really started to get into it.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

I had played nerdy board games and some wargaming and the like before WFRP but I am sticking with RPGs :D

#6 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

I am not quite sure. I remember the campaign, which was a fun homebrew, but the system itself... I think it started out Rifts and turned into something called Pit Fighter and somehow might have turned into AD&D. I just remember I rarely knew what I was rolling but had fun. After that came the GURPS campaign of DOOOOOOOM!

#7 Fin

Fin

Stirge

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Dungeons and Dragons Basic Rules at the Local Community Centre Roleplaying and War Gaming Club.

I created a thief character but the game folded after a single session the next week we started a new game in another D'n'D world based around Celtic mythology/ Isle of the Mighty where I played a Lizard man Warrior.

Thinking about it, that was  twenty... mumble, mumble, cough years ago now, how the time flies!

#8 Nick T. Vegan

Nick T. Vegan

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I dont know if it counts as like true rpging but my first would probably be playing heroes quest with my brother.

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

I think HeroQuest counts :) I think my first real nerd boardgame was the Dragonlance board game. I still have it and it was a bit complex and rules are a bit shaky but it was cool.

That and Warhammer Fantasy Battle :)

I have Advanced HeroQuest if you feel like getting all nostalgic :)

#10 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Day 2: First RPG Gamemastered?

Again, for me, D&D 3.5. Just a few weeks after playing my first living greyhawk game, I studied the rules and SRD and brute forced the GM test to get registered as a Page GM and ran my own session of Living Greyhawk. Overall, it went fairly well really.

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

Probably The Warlock of Firetop Mountain Fighting Fantasy solo adventure gamebook was my first, bought as soon as it hit the shops; a few years later the FF RPG was the first time I gamesmastered an adventure for others. Played some D&D around then too, but it was only when I found Tunnels and Trolls that RPGs really supplanted boardgames for me.

#12 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Day 2: Well, I GMed a d6 Star Wars session for the group of vastly overpowered characters that went rather well. I believe it was a simple mission to ease me into GMing. I guess it didn't work very well since I haven't done much GMing. I think I'm too much of a complete freak. I try to create too much for the world/campaign that I never get to actually running it. That and stage fright.

#13 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

Day 2: First RPG GMd technically was a one shot WoD but I really wasn't that good. I didn't take up the GM's chair again until right before 3rd edition came out. I did a few 2nd edition games but then 3rd edition came out and we switched over to that.

#14 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

Day 2: The first thing I GMed was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st Edition. I actually GMed before I ever played a game because someone had to do it :)

#15 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

Days 1 & 2

First game played was the 1991 D&D boxed set, delivering my package to the wizard Zanzer Tem, and ending up locked in his basement dungeon. Guess I probably should have followed standard 'meeting someone you don't know' protocol and met in a public place first. :P My character was a halfling who ridiculously exceeded the encumbrance limits we only found out about later, and wore a set of stupidly unbalanced tortiseshell armor my friend had homebrewed.

First game run was AD&D 2nd edition, set in dragonlance, where a minotaur fighter, a dark elf mage, a human thief, and a dwarven cleric teamed up to fulfill the dwarf's divinely inspired quest to create a tankard of endless ale. It didn't get very far.

#16 Fin

Fin

Stirge

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

Day 2: 1st game GM'ed was AD&D 2nd ed. a Ravenloft module IIRC as that was my setting of choice in our group.

#17 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Day 3: First RPG Purchased.

I a rather dull continuation of theme we have Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st Edition paperback version as the first RPG I purchase, then ran, then played.

How about the rest of you?

#18 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

First rpg purchased was the core book for In Nomine, a nice angel and demon game set in the real world. The scary part of the game is how much the real world makes sense when viewed through that setting.

Sadly most of the RP I did in that system was almost entirely online on a MUSH that was closed down by SJG.

#19 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Day 3: First RPG Purchased?

Thinking about it, between things like the SRD and other methods of sampling RPG books without paying money , I don't think I actually got around to purchasing a RPG system until I got the Pathfinder Core Rulebook the year it came out. At the time I hadn't even really heard much about it, I just saw these books at a convention that said they were a continuation of 3.5 (and I had full experience that 4e was not the game for me), and impulse bought the core rulebook and Bestiary.

That being said, and I am no where certain of this, but I have a strong inkling that I purchased the Ptolus campaign before I purchased pathfinder. I'd have to check the dates on the recordings of the first Ptolus campaign I ran to be certain. Admittedly it is a campaign/mega adventure rather than a system, but I didn't really see too many questions about settings/supplements in there.

#20 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

I think HeroQuest counts :) I think my first real nerd boardgame was the Dragonlance board game. I still have it and it was a bit complex and rules are a bit shaky but it was cool.

That and Warhammer Fantasy Battle :)

I have Advanced HeroQuest if you feel like getting all nostalgic :)

Advanced Heroquest was much better than Warhammer Quest (which was just silly). Heroquest was my first game (before Chaosium bought the rights to use the name for what was essentially Runequest).

After that there was a lot of Fighting Fantasy books, Lone Wolf books, most of the Way of the Tiger books and the Golden Dragon series of gamebooks by Dave Morris and (I want to say Oliver Johnson but he might have been mr Morris's co author on the Way of the Tiger books instead).

Eventually a friend produced the old "purple box" including some Advanced D&D 1st edition character sheets, some sheets of white paper someone had drawn out large dungeon sections on in thick black felt tipped pen at roughly miniature scale, some basic character sheets and, of course, B2 - Keep on the Borderlands.

He also had the old Black Box edition of Traveller knocking about but we never enjoyed that as much. Over the next few years a lot of old issues of White Dwarf and second hand miniatures began turning up at local car boot sales. Another friend came across the AD&D 1st ed player's handbook at one of these car boot sales for £3.50 and snapped it up. For the next 2-3 years I began running games using the basic purple box as a makeshift monster manual & dmg while I saved up my pocket money for the 1st ed hardbacks. The 2nd edition books had come out 2-3 years ago but they cost £20 each whereas the 1st ed books cost a tenner each in a little model railway shop just around the corner from the place selling the new stuff (both of which were a good 15-20 miles away from home so money was saved dilligently then trips were made).

I've got to say my favourites to date would probably be Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Runequest & Dragon Age. Unfortunately everyone seems to just want to play one version of d20 or another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge