Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Just read this interesting article over on Vice

A History of Rapey Dungeon Masters

I thought it was interesting as in my whole time as a gamer I have never actually seen this happen. I have seen players made uncomfortable by the GM and I have seem players made uncomfortable by other players but not to this degree.

Thought I might post it here and see what you guys thought.

Hal :hal:

#2 GM SIlva

GM SIlva

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

I've never seen this kind of thing in a game either but i would have thought it all comes down to the GM's mentally.

The only "adult" elements I include in my games are drinking and bad language. I would never even consider bringing

sex into it. Clearly the guy doesn't get laid and is a sad and lonely pervert. 

I cant help but think the other players should have told the DM to calm down and watch his behaviour.
Either that or threaten him to stop or receive a smack haha.

#3 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

I haven't personally run across anything that creepy. Horrible power-tripping jerks with know-it-all NPCs who are the only ones with any chance of actually knowing what's going on, sure, but that's about as bad as I've seen. A (female) college friend of mine has seen slightly worse, having met a DM who spent a lot of time harping on how, if her character didn't wear a corset, she'd be seen as horribly unfashionable, made her roll for her character's breast size and was super apologetic that she only rolled a B cup, and went into excessive detail about the rapey origins of the various half human/elven/orcish races. She's written about it in great detail here, here, here, here, and here.

The article will probably make the rounds of my gamer friends, I'll be interested to see if any of them have anything interesting to say about it. This particular article seems sort of like click-bait sensationalism, which is too bad, since in general I've been fairly impressed with VICE's reporting lately, what with having actual reporters spending weeks or months on the ground in Ukraine, Syria, Afghanistan, and various Kurdish controlled areas.

#4 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

However, this does seem like a good place to point out that someone at VICE is trying to flash their geek cred. In an article on Kanye West, of all things, one of their writers referenced a "hithlainian cloak of secrecy", which only really makes sense if you're geeky enough to remember that hithlain is what elven rope in the Lord of the Rings was made out of. Seriously, reposts of that article are the only google hits for "hithlainian" I can find. Sadly, the article is credited to "staff", so I can't tell who coined the word.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I agree it is a little clickbaity but it seemed like a good conversation starter.

Also - your friends articles are really good :) And I know what hithlain is, and you are right that someone over there is clearly flexing their nerd muscles :P

One the flip side, I have had to deal with the traditional horny player more than once. Sometimes they will go after NPCs and other times they will go after other players. The first is pretty easy to deal with by just casually indulging them. As long as it is not taking away time and enjoyment from other players I have no problem playing a short flirtatious scene, especially if it makes the player uncomfortable enough to not try it too often in the future.

Player on player action is more difficult to deal with as you really want the players to develop bonds within the party and it is good when they form naturally through interaction. Sadly, player on player can get uncomfortable for everyone involved, especially if it is really only one of the players who wants to go there.

I don't normally set restrictions for content at my table (unless we have children present) but I will sometimes step in and move the story along if someone appears to be appearing uncomfortable or the interaction is taking too long and does not really prove to be adding anything to the story other than fueling a players ego :)

I agree that the kind of thing in the article is thankfully rare, but then I generally only game with friends so I get to choose the kinds of people I play with. If I started playing with random people I meet online it might be a different story.

Hal :hal:

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Seriously, reposts of that article are the only google hits for "hithlainian" I can find.

Of course, after you've used the word here, you can add this thread to the list of search results for "hithlainian" ;)

One the flip side, I have had to deal with the traditional horny player more than once. Sometimes they will go after NPCs and other times they will go after other players.

And sometimes, they'll go for the GMPC - just like it happened in the romantic ballad of Mor'Kil and Darrus Lightbringer. ;)

Actually, Mor'kil went for everything with a pulse and a wiener... And sometimes, the bit about the pulse was optional. (That eulogy in episode 1...!) :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge